Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

UK Now Most Violent Developed Nation in the World

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   
A few simple points I would like to make.

We like stealing cars

www.nationmaster.com...

You like murdering people

www.nationmaster.com...

We like assaulting people (I think it works out were above States per capita)

www.nationmaster.com...

You like raping people

www.nationmaster.com...

Overall our total accounted for crime is more than yours

www.nationmaster.com...

But by not alot. This is because there has been a push to record more crime in this country and we have violent and dishonest people living here. The same as America, the rest of Europe and the rest of the World. Is their a problem in this country? Yes. The same problem that is everywhere in the world. In my opinion, anyone posting in this thread thinking that we have a problem alot worse than their own country is dillusional.

[edit on 11-6-2006 by walter kurtz]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vox Populi

Conversely why would Americans, or anybody else for that matter concern themselves over UK domestic laws?

I concern myself with UK domestic policy mainly because I live here now.

In the southwest where I am currently living crime is not so bad. But some places up north I visited were pretty bad. Like oakland california without the driveby shootings.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
bump/

Scotland has been named the most violent country in the developed world.

A United Nations report claims more than 2,000 Scots are assaulted every week - almost 10 times official police figures.

The study - which does not include figures for murder, muggings or sexual assaults - claims that together, England and Wales are the second most dangerous countries.

Experts say Britain's heavy-drinking habits are to blame.

The UN claims the attacks have been fuelled by a "booze and blades" culture in the west of Scotland with the worst offenders being males aged between 15 and 25.

Violent crime has doubled in the country over the past 20 years to a level comparable with crime-ridden cities like Rio de Janeiro.

By contrast, Japan was named in the UN report as the least violent nation, followed by Italy and Portugal.

Only 0.1% of Japanese have been victims of assault compared with 3% of Scots, 2.8% in England and Wales, and 2% in America.

The study is based on phone interviews with victims of crime in 21 countries.

UN spokesman Jan Van Dijk said: "Our survey is more accurate than the official figures because there is a huge proportion of crimes that go unreported.

"We have seen a trend in Scotland and the proportion has almost doubled since 1989 and risen 1.9% in 1996. This is very significant and is a clear upward trend."
www.airliners.net...

that source as well as the UN report it cites is old but lets look at stats. I wonder if crime rates have gone down in the last decade.....

Crime Statistics > Total crimes (most recent) by country
USA- 11,877,218
UK- 6,523,706
Germany- 6,507,394

www.nationmaster.com...

that is about half as many with about a 1/4 of our population.(US)

so I would argue that the deterrent of being shot is effective when considering a criminal act.....

Originally posted by cavscout
Someone said once that an armed populace is a polite populace; it would seem that our Brit friends are proving that.

Why not hit someone if you get mad? Well, in the US the answer is because it is highly likely (at least in some of the less crime ridden areas of our nation) that the person you are about to attack or someone in the vicinity has a gun on them, and if you follow through, you may just be staring at the wrong end of it. Keeps us nice.

Brits, on the other hand, are guaranteed by their government that the person they are about to assault is unarmed and therefore less likely to defend himself.

How simple is that to understand? You don’t hit or holdup people who have guns in their waistband!

PS - Hate to say it friends, but many of us blodthirsty gun hugging Americans told you so years ago.

[edit on 24-11-2005 by cavscout]

Yup.....I agree,
edit on 18-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4   >>

join