It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-Act, the "Anti Chemical", chemical.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
FAST-ACT, or: First Applied Sorbent Treatment-Against Chemical Threats is the name, and its the newest thing out as a Counter Chemical-Warfare Agent.

What is it you might ask?
- FAST-ACT is an anti terrorism device used to neutralize mustard gas, sarin, and other deadly chemical warfare agents.

The actual powder, developed by Kansas State University chemist Kenneth Klabunde, is made up of a nano-structured crystallites of magnesium oxide (MgO), and Titanium Oxide (TiO2). This product will actually "knock out" a deadly element where it can be safetly swept up later. When put up to the test of VX nerve gas, the agent proved to be 99.9% effective. The FAST-ACT product, (with its common MgO powder), has a surface reactive area of 30 square meters per gram. "Seventeen grams of the powder has the spreading area of a football field," Klabunde says.

This new product will ultimately save lives in some of the worst chemical agents deployed by terrorism and other causes. I believe that this has been one of the most significant inventions next to the "Life Straw". Imagine a world, where all we have to do is just pick up a fire extinguisher sized bottle, and spray it to cover the area of a block. This will be one of the best defences against chemical warfare, and chemical issues anywhere in the world. Whether it be terrorism, or just a simple mistake that happend to be made. This product will probably prove to be one of the most important inventions of the century.

Links for more Information on "FAST-ACT"

FAST-ACT
Nano Active

First Applied Sorbent Treatment - Against Chemical

Edit: Grammar

[edit on 11/24/0505 by brodband]

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
That IS amazing..

How come good news like this just gets buried while we all squabble over the politics of the "War on Terror"?

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I'm wondering if this comes with its own gas mask? Because I would think you would have to don a fairly effective one before spraying this stuff. I'm thinking, no matter how effective it is in neutralizing chemicals on your skin and clothing, you darned sure wouldn't want a big heaping lung full of nano-particles.

new topics

join