It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey wont make you sleepy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
A recent study shows that the tryptophan in turkey actually does not cause drowsiness.

sciencedaily.com

Myth: Eating turkey makes you sleepy

MONTREAL, Nov. 23 (UPI) -- There's reportedly good Thanksgiving news for turkey lovers: Contrary to popular belief, tryptophan in turkey doesn't cause drowsiness.

In fact, scientists told National Geographic News the substance could possibly aid in the treatment of depression and multiple sclerosis.

Purified tryptophan is a mild sleep-inducing agent and that probably led to the idea that foods containing heavy doses of the chemical cause drowsiness.

But tryptophan can't function well as part of a meal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So gobble it up

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I've always considered Turkey a a stimulant

Hanging out with my relative-in-laws makes me sleepy.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The power of suggestion must be a powerfull thing then, because turkey still makes me tired everytime that I eat it. I'll have to put it to the test tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It's not the turkey that makes you sleepy, it's the big fat meal that puts you down. Tryptophan can be found (in the same quantities as turkey) in beef, chicken, beans and may other foods. There are many other factors that cause the big nap on thanksgiving but it's mainly due to the over eating that occurs on Turkey Day.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I only ate a little bit of turkey today. I weighed myself yesterday then I weighed myself today my weight jumped like 3-4lbs. lol I ate a lot of other stuff though.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I'll be damned! I guess it's all the greasy foods and boring relatives and liquour, then. I get sleepy just thinking about turkey.

Zip

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
If that's the case, then, I can not justify eating turkey just before I sleep.
And if I do really want to sleep, I think I better use natural/herbal sleeping pills.
But having some nice turkey sandwich before sleeping would be nice anyway.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Don't believe everything you read, really.

Scientists are not perfect.

First of all "Purified tryptophan is a mild sleep-inducing agent and that probably led to the idea that foods containing heavy doses of the chemical cause drowsiness."

This sentence is entirely contradictory! so Tryptophan is a mild sleep inducing agent, but earlier they say it doesn't cause drowsiness?

What do they think a mild sleep inducing agent is! Granted, they did say "purified tryptophan" but then go on to say that purified tryptophan is the same thing you see in the foods as well.

So how is it that "a mild sleep inducing agent" in "high concentration" in foods, leads to simply an IDEA of the chemical causing drowsiness? that makes no sense. They've just explained how it DOES cause drowsiness.

With that said, regardless of Tryptophan being the 9th amino acid, I must tell you something. I'm a nutritionist, that's what I majored in school.

We don't often get as much of the 9th amino acid as we should, as many foods such as peanut butter LACK the 9th amino acid but contain enormous amounts of the other proteins (amino acids).

Therefore, we get full on all these other amino acids much more regularly than we do tryptophan. While turkey, chicken, and even most if not all meats contain some tryptophan, it's mostly turkey that has large large amounts of it.

So, around thanksgiving time, after the whole year of unknowingly mis-nutritionalizing (made up word) ourselves with the incorrect balance of proteins, our body is FINALLY balanced out by being given more and as much as it really needed Tryptophan.

Once it hits our systems, the long missed protein creates such a feeling of relief from having our proteins imbalanced, that it causes us a pleasant drowsiness, because this is the system wanting to shut down and repair after finally getting the proper nutrition.

Also at thanksgiving, it's really the time of year you catch up on a good abundance of ALL the foods you missed in a rounded out sort of way all at once.

So, it's not just the turkey that makes you drowsey, it's the other foods as well. Plus, eating a lot makes you tired.

Many of us eat Turkey sandwhichs often, but if you think about it, I bet you'll find most of us do not pick turkey or turkey sandwhiches that often. Those of us that do eat a lot of them, will naturally get less tired at thanksgiving than the rest of us.

Although turkey sandwhich seems like a common food, when you do eat one, you don't eat all that much turkey usually, and if you were to think about it, I bet you don't eat that much turkey.

Hope this shed the light on ya a little bit.

Don't give in to all "scientific" studies so readily.

Tryptophan definitely makes you sleepy in multiple ways!

That's not an imagined effect you have when you eat too much turkey at thanksgiving. You are really being 'drugged' (in a good way) down with quite a drowsiness inducing chemical.

Plus who can eat a bunch load of pumpkin pie and a beer and not pass out

edit on 20-2-2013 by pgobbs2277 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Who ate the turkeys before the first thanksgiving?

There was a science program on CBC Radio a couple years ago that stated that, to get enough triptovan from turkey to put you to sleep, you would have to eat a whole turkey.

new topics

top topics

join