It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics: How much money will it take?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This is a compilation of various news articles I have noticed today. The Liberals are going vote shopping it seems.

Makes me sick.

First off, the general stuff:

Source

With just days left before it is expected to collapse, the government is handing out billions of dollars for a range of projects but it insists it is just rushing to meet prior commitments.

By mid-morning on Wednesday, the government had already committed to more than C$2.8 billion. That was on top of C$4 billion to C$5 billion for miliary aircraft on Tuesday.

Billions more is expected to be dished out for lumber companies, housing and labor-market training in the next couple of days.

"The Liberal Party thinks public money is a party election fund," said opposition Conservative leader Stephen Harper, on the eve of moving a motion of non-confidence in Parliament.

Arguments can be made for each individual project and in some cases the opposition has urged even more spending.

I agree with the bold statement, even though I am not a fan of Harper either.

Lets move on.

Among the spending announcements, close to C$2 billion will be paid to native Indians who attended church-run residential schools, in an attempt to settle charges of sexual and physical abuse.

Ok, well what else was announced.....

Agriculture Minister Andy Mitchell offered C$755 million to grain and oilseeds farmers who he said were finding it difficult to compete because of the high Canadian dollar and U.S. subsidies.

Care to explain to me how these payments are fair?

Now on to another article explaining the abuse payments.

Source

They use lawyer fees to justify the billions, given to some 80,000 people. So obviously the thousands and thousands of farmers debt should be covered by a few million bucks.

By the way, we still have not received any CAIS money (Im in agriculture)

How much more will they spend?

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Also on that last article, check out the spelling at the bottom:

"What cy? I can't praise the governmentre's no such thing as a healing proce. That's jwaste of money to satisfy the nPhil Fontaine and his political care'

What the?....

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Money is nice for those Natives that were abused by the schools that they were forced to attend. But money doesn't mean anything. What about an apology?

With all the spending (vote buying) from the Liberals I'm about ready to have a holiday season election. As much as I hate the idea of an Election this time of year, it looks like we have no choice.

Re: weird spelling in the article. That is very strange and very sloppy for a journalist. Remember the name Sue Bailey.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with the money going to First Nations people. If I were in their position, I would be saying 'too little, too late'.

The last paragraph of the article reads like this:

"What can I say? I can't praise the government and there's no such thing as a healing process. That's just a waste of money to satisfy the needs of Phil Fontaine and his political career."

Sloppy editing on the part of the CP. :shk:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
More money ! More I say ! Spend !

The tottering Liberal government announced Thursday an aid package of $1.5 billion for the battered pulp and paper industry and for mill towns that have suffered closures.

The government said $800 million of it will be made available as loan guarantees based on the amount companies have had to pay in duties on their softwood lumber exports to the United States.

Another $100 million will be in the form of repayable contributions to companies.

In addition, the government is offering a package of measures valued at $581.3 million for items like research and community assistance, to be disbursed over five years, all conditional on the Liberals getting re-elected.

More details in a moment.

news.yahoo.com...

I love the Canadian press. "More details in a moment" hehehe.

Anyways, spend spend spend. Funny how things get done around election time. We should have an election every 3 months.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
As promised by CP reporter Allan Smith there is more!

The five-year, conditional part of the package includes:

-$150 million support to communities;

-$215 million for technology suppport;

-$50 million for bio-energy support;

-$90 million for product innovation;

-$66.3 million to develop new markets;

-And $10 million for a council of human resources for the industry.

www.recorder.ca...

I love it when they make promises like this.... 'Well folks, this is what we're giving you, on the condition we are re-elected. :shk:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
More money ! Gag them with money !

The federal government commited more than a billion dollars to native health issues Friday despite disagreement over who will provide the services and to which aboriginal groups.

The cash is part of a 10-year plan negotiated with the 13 provinces and territories and five national aboriginal organizations that pledges about $5.1 billion over the next five years to alleviate native poverty. "I believe we have made an unprecedented step forward," said
Prime Minister Paul Martin at a news conference that closed the two-day summit with premiers and native leaders.

news.yahoo.com...

Just think of how many votes they are buying.

Im all for spending the money. This is nothing more than a free campaign at the expense of every one of us. Liberal or not.

Get the job done when it needs to be done. Not last minute.

Remember when nothing was being done during gomery times?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Martin is trying to win over the farmer vote in Ontario.

Why wont he come out to Saskatchewan? Is he afraid he will be shot?

Oh thats right, they only have 1 elected member in the entire province. What a joke.

He is promising farmers money already promised to them before the government died.

The money is a joke.

news.yahoo.com...

"The measures announced today will assist in the evolution of the industry to ensure that Canada's food production industries continue to thrive."

People around here have not made a profit for 2 years in a row. How long can they last?

People getting CAIS payments under $10.00 total.

We were promised billions.

We have not seen a dime from the program. We spent more on accountant fees than we have seen in program aid.

new topics

top topics

join