It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Japanese space probe lands on asteroid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
After a nearly 2 year journey, a Japanese probe has successfully landed on an asteroid. Unfortunately, the probe which was supposed to deploy equipment for collecting surface material failed to do so. After approximately 30 minutes, the probe was able to launch itself from the surface of the asteroid.
The probe's mission is to collect a sample from the surface of the asteroid and then return to Earth. Scientists will decide on Thursday if they will attempt to land the probe again.

abcnews.go.com
A Japanese probe on a mission to bring back the first rock samples from an asteroid landed briefly on its target on Sunday but did not drop the equipment for collecting surface material, Kyodo news reported on Wednesday.

Scientists from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) had said earlier the unmanned probe failed to touch down on Itokawa, nearly 300 million km (186 million miles) from earth.

After a voyage of 2- years, the space probe stayed on the surface of the 548-metre-long asteroid for 30 minutes, marking the first landing by a Japanese spacecraft on a celestial body, Kyodo said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is a fantastic acheivement. I hope that they are able to figure out why the equipment did not deploy properly so that they can try the landing again.

Related News Links:
www.isas.jaxa.jp

[edit on 23-11-2005 by kenshiro2012]

[edit on 23-11-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I hope they can try again.

This asteroid looks pretty ragged, compared to photos of others I have seen.
Like an orbiting gravel pile.
Which also translates to "hard to blow up"..If one of this type were to intersect with our place in space.

Thumbs up anyway, to the Japanese. Even in failure, a lot has been learned.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
And yet people continually say that China has a more advanced space program
Landing on an Asteroid is much much harder then sending a person up to LEO. JAXA CAN beat China to the moon if they want(it all depends on wether they want to or not, they might just go ahead with building a Base instead of just a landing like China plans to do at first)

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The Japanese have decided to try and land the probe a second time

A Japanese space probe will make another attempt at landing on an asteroid on Saturday after it successfully landed and then departed from its surface over the weekend, officials said Thursday.

Probe will land a second time

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Kenshiro,

It looks like they did it!
news.bbc.co.uk...

Now for the sample..

You know, this other view of the asteroid makes it look like
a VERY solid body, with some debris stuck to it..See how smooth it is in some places? and then this layer, of assorted rocks, pebbles and dust.
Like someone rolled a wet potato, in flour, but didn't coat the whole thing.
Do you see what I mean?

[edit on 25-11-2005 by spacedoubt]

NFC

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
by the looks of it it must have past through a asteroid field or something like that but it still doesnt explain all the smooth bit's it looks like parts of it have been cut away leaving the flat surface beneath.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NFC
by the looks of it it must have past through a asteroid field or something like that but it still doesnt explain all the smooth bit's it looks like parts of it have been cut away leaving the flat surface beneath.

What about molten rock from the strikes? It would explain the varied rough and smooth surfaces.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
when it comes to space...Japan has a lot of bad luck.

I still dont understand how they "think" it touch-downed.

They are "pretty sure" they have a sample.

I dont think it matters if they have a sample or not...since I'm doubting that this plagued probe will make it back to earth.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think that I would love to be in the Austrailian Outback in June 2007.
I would love to see what they are able to bring back,

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
I think that I would love to be in the Austrailian Outback in June 2007.
I would love to see what they are able to bring back,

I give it a 1 in 100 chance of a successfull landing.

Also, Sardion...China has spent around 2.2 billion on human spaceflight, and Japan's annual budget is like 1.8 billion, which is low considering that includeds all missions, while that China figure is just on the numan portion.

China is further along then Japan.....when it comes to space.

new topics

top topics

join