It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's "Gouging"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I get a real kick out of those in government who seem to always start investigations of "gouging" when the prices go up. I'm not picking on anyone in this forum, but most investigations are started by the democrats. However, consider this:
Since 1977 the oil companies have made profits of $640 billion dollars. During the same time period, state and federal taxes from oil was $1.4 Trillion.... so..... who's gouging?

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think you are going to get flamed by a bunch of Europeans

What I couldn't believe was the amount of phone calls that some government agency received shortly after Katrina of price gouging at the pumps. It was like 5000 or so. I thought it was riduculous that so many people are that much out of it.

If you don't believe in Peak Oil, fine. But to think gas prices will stay the same when nearly all oil output in the gulf is knocked offline is a little ignorant.

I know we have some incompetent government officials, but I know that all they're doing is putting on a little show to make it look like they're getting to the bottom of it when infact it doesn't look like there is anything the government can do, except impose a windfall tax. Which was done before and didn't work out too well.

I think this Senate hearing was called on by a republican. But I could be wrong. However, the democrats are calling on another hearing to explain what their role was in dick cheneys energy task force.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Good luck with those oil investigations.

We've had 6 investigations in Canada over the years and every one of them comes out saying the oil companies are doing nothing wrong. In my opinion, they are a nice way to make the voters think the politicians are actually doing something.

Well, the voters who have short-term memory problems and forget how much money we spent on the first six reports.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
... you are indeed correct, but it was one who is a Republican "in name only". We call them Rinos.
As for Peak oil, that was mentioned in the early 70's as well, and it was wrong then, too. Either way, the world will have enough oil and coal to last until other sources are developed; that's what counts. Do some research on "Helium 3".

However, solar cells will not have any affect until we can make them 85% or more efficient.

Wind power is good, but getting people to accept them is the problem; even from those against use of oil and coal.... just ask Chappaquidick Fats.

Nuclear will continue to become safer and even more efficient.
Still, all in all, nothing has as many BTU's per pound as does oil.

One has to remember that America hasn't built a refinery for over thirty years, thanks to the enviro-whackos. Not many people would invest $800 million to build one if they know going in that the profit margin is only 3% per year.... long payback time on the investment.

True..... the hurricane is having a great effect. Again, thanks to the enviro's, all of our refineries are operating at 95% capacity day after day, and when just one gets shut down for whatever reason, the supply goes down and prices rise.

Yeah, the price of gas is out of control, some say... as they drink bottled wated at over $9.00 per gallon

[edit on 28-11-2005 by zappafan1]

[edit on 28-11-2005 by zappafan1]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Be thankful polotico's investigate things that haven't got a snowball's chance of having anything done about it.

Geez . . . they could actually investigate something serious and as smart as they are we could end up with some real problems....

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
Be thankful polotico's investigate things that haven't got a snowball's chance of having anything done about it.

Geez . . . they could actually investigate something serious and as smart as they are we could end up with some real problems....

HAHAHAHAHA How right you are.
Two things America needs: A) The Congress and Senate only meeting 6 weeks out of the year, and B) for every law they pass, they have to review and get rid of three other ones.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This defines it exactly as posted.

Who is doing the gouging, and who is doing the 'investigating' of 'big oil companies'?

If gas stations make maybe 1 or 2 cents per gallon profit, while maintaining a place of business and associated expenses and efforts,...

If oil companies make maybe 10 or 12 cents per gallon, while maintaining the infrastructure required to produce,...

If the federal and state governments make between 50 and 80 cents per gallon, via taxation, while maintaining none the of expense involved in the production or distribution, or marketing,...

Who exactly then is doing the gouging??

And those same 'gouger's', proclaim to 'investigate' and offer relief to the end user?

Yes,.... I trust them.
*NOT*

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBrontide
This defines it exactly as posted.

Who is doing the gouging, and who is doing the 'investigating' of 'big oil companies'?

If gas stations make maybe 1 or 2 cents per gallon profit, while maintaining a place of business and associated expenses and efforts,...

If oil companies make maybe 10 or 12 cents per gallon, while maintaining the infrastructure required to produce,...

If the federal and state governments make between 50 and 80 cents per gallon, via taxation, while maintaining none the of expense involved in the production or distribution, or marketing,...

Who exactly then is doing the gouging??

And those same 'gouger's', proclaim to 'investigate' and offer relief to the end user?

Yes,.... I trust them.
*NOT*

Actually, you're close to correct:
Oil companies profits Avg. 12 cents per gallon.
From 1977 to 2004, the oil companies profitted $640 Billion dollars.
Federal and state taxes totalled $1.4 Trillion dollars, for doing nothing. (Now THATS gouging).
Intel profits are 50% over investment.
Starbucks is 60%......
Banks and lending institutions make 12% to 29% profit

new topics

top topics

join