It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to cut troops in 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The pentagon revealed plans to remove three brigades from iraq early next year. One brigade would be moved over to cover Kuwait in case of emergencies. The US still won't remove all troops however, citing problems with Iraq's fledgling government. The withdrawal comes at the request of high ranking commanders.

www.msnbc.msn.com
"Barring any major surprises in Iraq, the Pentagon tentatively plans to reduce the number of U.S. forces there early next year by as many as three combat brigades, from 18 now, but to keep at least one brigade "on call" in Kuwait in case more troops are needed quickly, several senior military officers said."

"Pentagon authorities also have set a series of "decision points" during 2006 to consider further force cuts that, under a "moderately optimistic" scenario, would drop the total number of troops from more than 150,000 now to fewer than 100,000, including 10 combat brigades, by the end of the year, the officers said."

"Despite an intensified congressional debate about a withdrawal timetable after last week's call by Rep. John P. Murtha (D-Pa.) for a quick pullout, administration officials say that military and political factors heavily constrain how fast U.S. forces should leave. They cite a continuing need to assist Iraq's fledgling security forces, ensure establishment of a permanent government, suppress the insurgency and reduce the potential for civil war."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To me, it's about time we started moving at least some people out. Hopefully this is the start of the full withdrawal for our troops. They belong here, not in another far off country that most could care less about. Though this might possibly be the start of something else. Eitherway, it seems the democrats have their day.

[edit on 26-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I don't think this a democrat or GOP issue. This is a lack of support from both sides of the aisle now that both sides are questioning the reasons for the war in the first place and the costs in both money and lives.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see civil war in Iraq as an inevitability and to see our troops caught in the middle would be tragic. Maybe the itel people see it this way and realize; this isn't cut and running; just smart strategy.

[edit on 23-11-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Interesting. The army is also moving large numbers of troops out of other locals too. But if they are moving troops out of iraq also.....

new topics

join