It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mount St. Helens active again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Another dust plume has risen from the mountain, prompting scientists to look into the mountain again. Low-level seismic activity is also occuring. Geologists are once again warning of a possible eruption, though nowhere near the size of the 1980 disaster.

www.msnbc.msn.com
"VANCOUVER, Wash. - Rockfall at Mount St. Helens kicked up a dust plume Tuesday that rose above the rim of the volcano's crater, drawing attention in the region."

"Seismic activity has continued at low levels, Moran said."

"The white plume floating above the peak was raising concerns locally."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm starting to wonder if they're getting us all worked up for nothing. Last year they kept saying how it was going to erupt and it never did. It seems they're going to start saying it again. It seems to me like if it was going to happen it would've already happened. I just think they're trying to draw attention to their work to get a little more appreciationg. Though I probably am quite wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
On the one hand, its silly to look at every bit of activity as if it were a prelude to a monstrous eruption, but on the other hand, it reminds us to at least be vigilant and prepared.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I noticed on the quake map today that there is much activity all around the pacific ring of fire and much more activity in the USA. The possibilities do exist that she will erupt and erupt soon.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
A year means nothing in geological terms...

It might be nothing, but more likely something is coming. "Soon" could be 500 years in this sense...

[edit on 11/23/2005 by cohiba]

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
These people are doing their best I'm sure. I mean, if they didnt say anything, we would be up in arms asking for info... and if they say to much we get people saying they are crying sheep like the O.P. seems to think.

Give them a break and take the info for what it is, news, a possibility, data, ect. But I dont think you have to come to the conculsion that they are trying to draw attention to their work.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

This bulge by the 'three sisters' is of concern. St Helen's is the whistle on the kettle. As time goes on and nothing happens with the sisters and St Helens keeps popping smoke then pressure is building.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
although it would not be a major concern normally with the ring of fire active giving people fair warning was IMO the height of courteousness on their part. Even though the likelihood of a massive boom again so soon (geologically) after the last is small with all the shakin going on I can't blame people for worrying.

top topics

join