It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racial hatred - why do you hate other skin colors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I am white. I have more friends in other races than my own. I have my pride too, so walking away from hate is too hard - it has lead to fights in the past.

Well, that almost happened again the other day.

I received some racial slurrs because I didn't stop to allow a black man to cross the street. I pulled over and got out, an action that has not been the wise in the past.

I was called many racial things as I walked up to this guy, him backing up. I generally like being quiet in these situations until I get close enough to touch the other person, but I (almost) never throw the first punch.

After being called a white slave driver, I decided to talk.

I, as politically correct as I could, told him that it was the blacks that captured other blacks an took them to ther countries to sell as slaves and it was the white man who ended slavery. I explained that he, nor his dad, nor his grandad were slaves, so why the issues today.

A couple of fellow firefighters drove by and saw me and came. The other guy became much more cooperative and much less dancing.

By the end, the black man gave us all a beer and said he didn't know that it was blacks kidnapping other blacks to sell into slavery.

This seems to happen a lot in the US. Why are we still dealing with this hate? And I am not just talking about blacks and whites in the US either. Red and yellow, black and white - there is a lot of hate between them all. Why? Do we not bleed the same color?

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Let me post about something that happened to me outside of a sporting goods store the other day.

I walk out of the store and I'm walking behind an old black vagrant who just happens to be harrassing a young white woman. He was asking her for money but she kept telling him she didn't have any. It was obvious he was targeting her because he thought he could scare her in to giving him money if he kept pushing. He followed her up until she got in her car. This really has nothing to do with the story but I thought I'd give you a picture of the kind of person that I was dealing with.

So he walks away from her car and sees me. He comes walking up to me and says "can you spare some change man?". I said "no I don't have any". I really didn't have any. So after I said that, he says as if offended "well that's all you had to say". I said "that's what I said........I don't have any". Then he sneers at me for about five seconds and says "you damn right I got a problem with the white man!". So I say "then why the hell are you asking a white man for money if you have a problem with me?". He just turns and walks away talking under his breath.

If this guy was white I would have done exactly the same thing. He dealt the race card not me.

Peace

[edit on 23-11-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by godservant
Why are we still dealing with this hate? And I am not just talking about blacks and whites in the US either. Red and yellow, black and white - there is a lot of hate between them all. Why? Do we not bleed the same color?

Racism persists because of ignorance.
People fear and hate what they don't understand. People really need to take the time to try and understand each other, to look at our similarities not our differences.

The black man you met godservant, was full of ignorance and blamed you for something that happened more than 100 years ago. By the end of the day you were friends (or at least friendly). I'm really glad it turned out that way, usually it doesn't.

Racism exists every where in the world, and takes many forms. For example, my mother-in-law has an irrational fear of black men. This is one form of racism. I don't feel it makes her a bad person, but it is ignorant. She has never had any contact with a black person, positive or negative. Yet last month when her neighbor (a black man) found her cell phone in the parking lot, she was afraid to meet with him to get her phone back. The man was very nice and was only trying to get the phone back to its rightful owner. But she was ready to buy a new phone just so she wouldn't have to meet with this man.

The city I live in is one of the most multicultural in the world. I would think that this would help bring down the racial divide, but it is still there. Recently I was talking to a taxi driver who was telling me about a drunk customer he had that kicked in his passenger side door while shouting racial slurs. I see graffiti on the transit system, swastikas scribbled on seats with black markers.

But I also see high school kids coming home from school all dressed up like rappers. I look at their faces and I see all different colors, black, white, brown whatever. I can walk into the mall and I see all different races working together to make a buck. My daughter is in grade one. Her class is very diverse. They can all play and learn together with out racial boundaries.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Another form of racism comes from within a racial group. Take a look at a young black man trying to get an education, speak correctly, and improve himself. I've seen it, heard about it, and can't believe when other young black men ridicule him about not being "black" enough or trying to be white. Since when is trying to improve yourself a "white" thing. This type of thinking had to go.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon
Another form of racism comes from within a racial group. Take a look at a young black man trying to get an education, speak correctly, and improve himself. I've seen it, heard about it, and can't believe when other young black men ridicule him about not being "black" enough or trying to be white. Since when is trying to improve yourself a "white" thing. This type of thinking had to go.

That's what's really so destructive - when someone tries to improve themselves but their friends keep them down, forcing them to feel forces they don't necessarily feel threatened by. It's absolutely terrible.

I think a lot of it has to do with identity. A lot of people, often times because of their community, strongly identify with their race among other things. It's something that identifies them amongst the sea of nameless faces. Slavery may not be present now, but the black community will probably never fully recovery from it. When you look at that, and are taught that "Whitey did this to us" and that it's "because of Whitey that you have a terrible life" then it's only natural for people to respond that way. Like Umbrax, I'm extremely glad that your man had intelligence enough to step outside of what had been drilled into his head and to realize that maybe things existed elsewhere. He Denied Ignorance.

NOW, that isn't to say it's all unfounded. Whites perpetuated Slavery, and kept it alive in all its horror, for centuries. There exists a lot of racism in the world today, whether it's cops killing for no reason, or being skipped over for a promotion, and none of it helps. Every minority is likely to face racism (as is every majority) in their lives, and will be faced with the dilemma of how to react.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
When I was going to University, I was attending some classes at Wayne State University in Detroit. I had to stay late, one cold winter evening for some lab work. When I finally was heading home, my car was the last one in the parking lot. Naturally, the car wouldn't turn over. My battery was dead. There wasn't a soul around. There was a road -- a service road for a nearby freeway -- and I went there with the vague hope that I might find some help.

Car after car passed me by. I could see that they were driven by whites. The only car that actually stopped was fill with black teens -- the "stereo-typical" gang. Frankly, I was apprehensive -- not because they were black but because the area that I was in was not considered to be very safe. Many muggings and car thefts had been reported in that area. Nevertheless, I asked for some help.

These young black men drove me to my car, gave my battery a boost and even gave me a cassette tape ( this was back in the 70's) of some music that one of them had recorded (he had a band). While we were just standing in the parking lot talking -- while my car charged up -- a campus police car -- I hadn't seen one for hours -- drove up to "see if I was ok" not if he could offer any assistance. The cop then proceeded to check out the id's and license of the black teens and even wanted to search their car. Fortunately I was able to distract the policemen asking them something or other and he forgot to continue his search (true....and this was before Star Wars came out). After a few more minutes of hassling the black teens, he told us all to get on our way.

I asked the guys to join me at a nearby White Castle Hamburger place where I treated them to a few burgers (they were just 12 cents each then). My point of this story is that it almost reminds me of the parable of the good Samaritan. Those teens were color-blind seeing only some guy who was in a lousy situation on a cold night. Which goes to express that people are people and, regardless of skin color, some people are people who are more decent and thoughtful towards others.

One other thought, I could never understand why there are whites who hate blacks simply because their skin is dark. Then those very same people go to the tanning parlors so that they can get as tanned and as dark as possible. Does this make any sense at all? What it does show is the absurdity of the racism and bigotry shown people just because their skin is dark. INSANITY.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
We're lucky enough to have almost no racism here. The cultures learned to understand each other and get along, oddly enough, by telling racial jokes about each other, and that persists to this day. The only problem we have is when newcomers come in and don't understand that's how people are here.

That being said, I am a white male. I have had black friends, two wives from the Philippines, and most of my friends have been other races. I have no trouble with other races. What I have a problem with is when people try to make me feel guilty for things my ancestors may have done, or try to tell me that I owe them because my great great great great great grandfather owned slaves. Slavery was bad and never should have happened, but where is the black man complaining about his fellow black in Africa selling his ancestors into slavery? Why is it MY fault that my ancestors MAY have owned slaves? Why is it MY responsibility to do something about it? It happened, it's history. Instead of complaining about what happened in the past, why not work to make sure it doesn't happen again?

new topics

top topics

join