It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

one question: do people of other faiths swear "under oath" to the bible???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
i have always wondered this:

do people of other faiths (like a jew, muslim, and the like) swear "under oath" to the bible before they testify???

thanks...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
as far as i know the bible isnt used for that anymore they just have you hold up your right hand and repeat what they say. Althought they do have you say "so help me god" it doesnt specify christian god so it could be multi-religion.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Nope, I was just in Circuit Court in Michigan yesterday. The only thing you are required to agree to is, raise your right hand and
"Do you swear to tell the truth?"

Then I thought, considering how many people actually do lie under oath, it's best they are not swearing to God as well. For those who believe in more than temporal punishments

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
thanks ATSers

but before they changed this aspect of court, did people of "other faiths" complain or anything of that sort???

thanks...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The President swears his oath of office with his hand on a Bible. That begs an interesting question if we were to ever have a non-Christian president.

Zip

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
BWA HAHAHAHA

Oh man, non-christian president, thats a good one *wipes tear from eye from laughing too much* Aiiii, oh, hey *pretends to be serious* what happens when there's an atheist president, he won't even be able to swear by god, whatr we gonna do then?

or

President Rama, do you swear, by Firery Kali, to uphold the constituion.....

I shouldn't laugh perhaps, liberman looked like he might've been made president by the public one day.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Lol

Yeah, I kill me, sometimes.

Zip

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
is there no serious answer to my following question???

or should i say:

may i please have an answer

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I really dont know. Seeing as they changed it to not use a bible i would assume that yes there was some complaints.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
When I worked in the security industry, before being hired, I had to have a background check performed. I was required to make a series of statements both verbally and in writing. Before doing so, I was given the choice of whether I would like to 'swear' to my statements, or to 'affirm' my statements. Both are exactly the same thing, except when you 'swear' you put your hand on a Bible, and when you 'affirm' you don't use a bible, you just raise one hand and make the same statements.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
what happens when there's an atheist president, he won't even be able to swear by god, whatr we gonna do then?

So would an atheist refuse to swear on a bible, then? Would it really make a difference, as an atheist has no god to offend?

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think it was mostly just something from the movies, never really put into play once America stopped being all Christian white men. Almost everywhere you're given the opportunity to swear OR affirm. As for president, they'll have fun running stories about it, they'll rush around, w/e. I'll swear on the declaration of independence or something actually meaningful.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
thanks ATSers

but before they changed this aspect of court, did people of "other faiths" complain or anything of that sort???

thanks...

complain, somebody probably sued and made a ton of money on top of it. just like the clown with the pledge of alegence (sp) is'nt that the way everything works here, if you don't like something sue and get a ton of money to shut you up.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I'm not sure where U all reside but here in Aus U could swear on The Qu'ran if U were Muslim, The Bible if christian etc ...

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
It's Ok for anyone to swear on the bible. It means nothing unless the very act has an extrinsic value placed upon it by the person doing the swearing. The practice ( I have not researched this) probably resulted in an attempt by government to use religion and its concomitant reliance on fear to secure a more truthful response from the swearer. The assumption is that most people lie when given the chance and the church and gocernment always tell the truth.
So, since the whole process is based upon misconception...its Ok for anybody to swear about anything they wish on any object given them. Of course an honest person will tell the truth and this will have absolutely nothing to do with some ritual favored by government.
skep

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
thanks all...

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
an atheist could swear on the constitution. or maybe on an encyclopedia?

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
I'm not sure where U all reside but here in Aus U could swear on The Qu'ran if U were Muslim, The Bible if christian etc ...

i think its the same in the United Kingdom as well, but im not sure. ill have to look into it.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Great quote by Albert Onerock. I will share a couple of my favorite, with permission:

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." --Sinclair Lewis (1935)

I am tempted to quote Isaac to people who constantly use the term "theory" in place of "opinion" because they don't have a clue what a "theory actually is.

Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
Isaac Asimov

I trust everyone had a good X Mas and looks forward to a fun and contributory 2006

Finally, the brilliance of H.L. Mencken
We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his "theory" that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.
skep

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I don't know, I think that the president has a choice as to what he want to do...he can swear on the Bible if he chooses, and even get to chose the page it is open to. But I also think he could chose to swear on a copy of a good donald duck comic book if that is what he wanted, or no book at all.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join