It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraqi officials want an exit plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Iraqi leaders from the greatly separated Sunni, Shiites, and Kurds want to know when "U.S.-led forces" will withdraw from their country. All groups denounced terrorism at the meeting. However they stated that Sunni insurgents should not be considered terrorists if they do not target innocent Iraqi civilians. Bayan Jabr, the Iraqi Interior Minister said that the "U.S-led forces" should be able to exit Iraq by the end of this upcoming year. Jabr also believes that Iraqi forces will be up to par by the end of 2006.

www.foxnews.com
CAIRO, Egypt — Leaders of Iraq's sharply divided Shiites, Kurds and Sunnis called Monday for a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S.-led forces in the country and said Iraq's opposition had a "legitimate right" of resistance.

The final communique, hammered out at the end of three days of negotiations at a preparatory reconciliation conference under the auspices of the Arab League, condemned terrorism, but was a clear acknowledgment of the Sunni position that insurgents should not be labeled as terrorists if their operations do not target innocent civilians or institutions designed to provide for the welfare of Iraqi citizens.

The participants in Cairo agreed on "calling for the withdrawal of foreign troops according to a timetable, through putting in place an immediate national program to rebuild the armed forces ... control the borders and the security situation" and end terror attacks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is good to see that Iraq believes they can maintain a stable government, or at least they think they can. Hopefully, we do not have any assassinations in the Iraqi government, because that could throw plans off. What is the reaction of our government? Are they willing to accept this schedule?

[edit on 22-11-2005 by nonpoint]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I just wonder (no I don't) how much it matters to the USA leaders what the Iraqis want. I don't think they care what Iraq wants. They're going to stay as long as they can.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
We should let them vote on it.

This is what the democrats should have done instead of trying to introduce a resolution to withdraw from Iraq to a very hostile congress. They need to go to the Iraqi government and tell them to have a nationwide vote on whether or not they want American troops to stay. And if they vote "no" then they should give a deadline to the U.S. army for when they need to withdraw.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I don't think they care what Iraq wants.

That's what I think too.

Reading Between The Li[n]es

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

by ShakyaHeir:
This is what the democrats should have done instead of trying to introduce a resolution to withdraw from Iraq to a very hostile congress. They need to go to the Iraqi government and tell them to have a nationwide vote on whether or not they want American troops to stay. And if they vote "no" then they should give a deadline to the U.S. army for when they need to withdraw.

While your proposal isn't void of merit, IMO one has to realize this simply will not happen. BushCo is in it for the long haul no matter the cost. Personally, I don't see any withdrawal of troops in the near future, nor the coming year. Best shot would be after the '08 elections if/when they take place.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Key words here, "Leaders of Iraq's sharply divided Shiites, Kurds and Sunnis...

Furthermore, I could not say it any better than this Iraqi gentleman on the alleged timetable and Cairo Conference for the Arab League and its final statement:

We heard a similar sort of talks prior to January elections and many parties held the slogan of ending “the occupation” but after the elected representatives sat to figure out what to do most of them found that asking the troops to leave would be in no one’s interest so they found themselves asking the UN to let the troops stay for another couple of years instead of asking them to leave.
Again, this issue is a technical one and speeches mean almost nothing and I’m positive that whoever is to be elected next month will realize the complexity of the situation especially when it comes to building Iraqi forces capable of preserving security.

Iraq The Model

seekerof

[edit on 22-11-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Everyone wants a timetable. Iraqis want it. The administration wants it. Doves want it. Hawks want it. Al Qaeda wants it. The problem is that you can't publish a timetable without everyone knowing what it is, including the enemy. 'Nufff said?

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

want to know when "U.S.-led forces" will withdraw from their country.

Er, all they have to do is tell the US to leave. The US is there by their request.

top topics

join