What's your favorite steak cut and how do you prepare it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I have to go with a ribeye somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 oz. Then I spray it with cooking spray and season it liberally with lemon pepper. I put my gas grill up as high as it will go and cook it black and blue. I kind of miss my old charcoal grill because the flame created a much better char. Anyways, when it's ready I pull it off and put a pat of butter on the top and let it rest for about five minutes.

Sometimes I'll bacon wrap the steak, but not on a regular basis.

Try this and you'll
!

Peace

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
MMMMMMMMMM.....steak......mmmmmmmm. I love steak and my very favorite cut is the venerable T-Bone. Now I'm not talking about the relatively new cut now sold in Grocery Stores that they call the T-Bone grilling steak. This is not the same cut. But if you go to a good butcher, you can still get a nice inch thick, tail on T-Bone.

To prepare this choice cut of meat properly, you marinate the steak in a marinade made of vinegar, salt, pepper, Garlic Salt, Lea & Perrins and a shot of good Kentucky bourbon.....plus about two cups of boiling hot water. You let the steak "bathe" in this mixture for about 24 hours (refrigerated). About twelve hours before cooking, you let the steak sit on the counter to warm to room temperature while sitting in this lovely marinade.

When it's "time", you preheat the BBQ so that it is H O T. For a one to one and a half pound, 1 inch thick T-Bone, you Sear the steak for five minutes on one side and, turning the steak only once, you sear the other side for two to three minutes or until you can see blood run clear from the bone. The steak should be a beautiful medium rare. MMMMMMMMM

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I like a thick Porterhouse, marinated in lemon juice, granulated garlic and black pepper then cooked somewhere between rare and medium rare. I would use a charcoal grill, but I live in an apartment now and can't have one so I'm stuck with a grill pan.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
20 ounce Prime Rib. There's a place that makes it that I used to go to. It would melt in your mouth, it was so good. I'm pretty much good with any cut of steak, cooked just about any way. hehe I'm definately a steak kinda guy.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
i dont know what my favorite cut is but i know i like the steak plain, no marinade.
lots of fat on the side
cooked blue
which means ultra rare, about 3 seconds each side

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
RIbeye.
Marinated in A-1 that has been cut with an additional 1/3 of water.
Med-rare. yum.

Here is something I learned about determining each level of "doneness"

the 4 finger method:
Touch your index finger to your thumb, then feel the fleshy part of your thumb.
Then touch your middle finger to your thumb..You'll notice the fleshy part of your thumb has become firmer.

Compare those with the firmness of your steak
So it goes like this:
Index finger equals rare
middle finger equals med-rare
ring finger equals med-well
pinky equals well done..!

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Another good one is really good prime filet mignon fried rare in butter, but crispy on the outside then served with bearnaise sauce. Mmmm delicious.

I usually don't like regular steak sauce though, I think it overpowers the flavor of the steak.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
DJ,

Yep, The Steak sauces are overpowering. I only like them watered down as marinades. Or sometimes I mix them full strength into ground beef.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Almost any steak will do, but Round works real good.
Trim most of the fat off.
Cut it into chunks so it will fit in a skillet.
Put it in a skillet to fry.
Season it as you like. We usually combine a couple seasoning blends.
Brown on both sides.
Add dry wine to between 1/3 and 1/2 way up the bottom piece.
Cover and simmer while you peel, core and slice some apples. ( I like granny Smith or Red Delicious.)
Remove the cover and add equal amounts of apples and walnuts. Simmer until the apples are softened.
Remove from heat, Plate and eat.
The dry wine gives a slight tartness, while the apples bring a mushy sweetness. The walnuts add a tender crunch. The combination of flavors and textures is exquisite.
I'm not sure where my wife got the recipe, but I'm glad she has it.
Just one more reason that I'm glad she married me 33 years ago.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I'll kill for a Porterhouse. Cooked medium-well.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
You all are making me hungry!

My favorites would be prime rib of a t-bone.. marinated with garlic, pepper, olive oil, touch of lime, and hot peppers then cooked med-rare over an open fire.

yummy.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
You all are making me hungry!
My favorites would be prime rib of a t-bone.. marinated with garlic, pepper, olive oil, touch of lime, and hot peppers then cooked med-rare over an open fire.

yummy.

I just had lunch and am starving after hitting this thread up! lol
That sounds soooooo good parrhesia, I'm gonna try that one.

I love my porterhouse medium-well too, with just garlic salt & pepper.
With some potatoes cut into wedges and sprinkled with Vegeta and olive oil baked in the oven and steamed veggies on the side. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm *drool*

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Another good one is really good prime filet mignon fried rare in butter, but crispy on the outside then served with bearnaise sauce. Mmmm delicious.

yummmmmmmm dj! sounds like how a restaurant here in Melbourne did theirs that I had not long ago. Delish

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
oooooh ya. ImJaded, you reminded me of my favorite side.

I normally do this:

wash 20-30 white button mushrooms, toss in bowl. Cut and remove seeds from one med/large red, green, yellow and orange pepper. cut into sections. slice up one zucchini.

Toss with olive oil and montreal chicken spice or steak spice, to your taste ( i use lots because most of it's cooked off).

If your bbq grill plate is narrow you can just dump them on and roast them til crispy and the mushrooms almost well done. Otherwise, you can put foil on the grill and dump them on so they don't fall through.

It is THE best. I love it and have that often.. just so tasty. It's good with chicken too, or just as a side to anything. Soooooo yummy.

Or, i'll throw 1 lb or so of asparagus spears on the bbq in foil while it's heating up with butter or olive oil so they cook.. and once done to your liking toss with butter/olive oil, paremsan cheese and a herb mix. Again.. soo yummy.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
For favorite steak I'd have to say a 24 oz ribeye. Put a very light dusting of montreal steak seasoning. Cook it to medium rare. Favorite steak bar none.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
T-Bone, broiled, light pink.
French fries.
Sweet tea.
Followed by cheese cake and a tooth pick.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Oh man, don't get me started with the Bearnaise sauce. I would put that on every steak I eat but I don't think my heart could handle it.
Maybe once a month I'll make some Bearnaise sauce from scratch. The packaged stuff is alright too.

Peace

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
My faverioute steak is matured Aberdean Angus Serloin Steak (best beef in the world) with a liberal amount of ground black peper over it befor it is cooked. I then fry it over a realy hot heat until Med-Rare, i also serve butter fried Mushrooms with Oinions and a big dolop of Mayonaise.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I love my Fillet Steak I ask my butch to cut 2 inches thick cut which costs me around £10, then I light my frying pan on really hot and sear it on both sides for 2 mins I like it so its just jellyish. I never use sauce on good steak.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I can't afford steak anymore; I have to save my money for gasoline. But one time I BBQed a ribeye with a couple of green chili peppers layed on top and washed it down with a couple Dos XX. Not Bad!

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join