It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Anti-Semite"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm sick of people referring to people who hate, criticize, or say something negative about Israelis or Jews as anti-Semites.

These people don't realize that Arabs are Semitic, too. Yet, I bet they wouldn't hesitate to lob a criticism or attack on Arabs.

So please, stop. Say anti-Jew or anti-Israeli instead. If you say anti-Semite, you better be referring to people who attack Jews and Arabs.

Of course, I will still see people posting this term, but oh well, I got to rant about it here...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
I'm sick of people referring to people who hate, criticize, or say something negative about Israelis or Jews as anti-Semites.

These people don't realize that Arabs are Semitic, too. Yet, I bet they wouldn't hesitate to lob a criticism or attack on Arabs.

So please, stop. Say anti-Jew or anti-Israeli instead. If you say anti-Semite, you better be referring to people who attack Jews and Arabs.

Of course, I will still see people posting this term, but oh well, I got to rant about it here...

Truthseeker,
Here is some truth 4 u.

Dictionary.com defines anti-Semite as:

One who discriminates against or who is hostile toward or prejudiced against Jews.

discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion [syn: racist, antiblack, anti-Semitic, anti-Semite(a)] n : someone who hates and would persecute Jews

Truth u said,"'m sick of people referring to people who hate, criticize, or say something negative about Israelis or Jews as anti-Semites"

The problem is , as you can read, your words define what anti-semite is.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Man, please.

Semitic refers to language groups. The language groups referred to are Aramaic, Hebrew, and Arabic. I don't care what the dictionary says, I go with this meaning.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Man, please.

Semitic refers to language groups. The language groups referred to are Aramaic, Hebrew, and Arabic. I don't care what the dictionary says, I go with this meaning.

Classic response for a anti-Semite, truthseeka.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Man, please.

I told you where my definition of the term Anti-Semite came from-Dictionary.com

Truthseeker-Please show me your source where you get your definition-Please.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Man, please.

Classic response for a anti-Semite, truthseeka.

Oooh, great response from a liar.

seekerof

[edit on 28-11-2005 by truthseeka]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Ok, guy, maybe this will satisfy you.

Semitic languages

Please pay attention to the part where it says "The peoples that have spoken or speak one of the Semitic languages as their main language are known as Semitic peoples."

And, from the looks of things, there are more Semitic languages and people than I mentioned before.

So there, your crappy dictionary.com definition can't hold water to that. Notice how you get a more detailed account from my source. What do you have to say now, "pro-Semites?"

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Semitic is a language group, as TS notes. However, the usage of the term has always historically refered to people who are spreading hatred of Jews. The jews and arabs are both a semitic peoples, heck they're practically the same peoples. There are other semitic languages too, I think ancient egyptian is a branch of the semitic languages, and some have theorized that whatever was being spoken in Harrapan was related. Elamite is also a related language to semitic, and there is an 'elamo-semitic' language family.

But lets face it, when someone is ranting about how israel is evil, they allmost allways end up also saying that jews are evil. "Its the jooooos, the joooos, they're the ones responsible for the mess, the evvviiiil jooooos".

Granted, this needn't be the case, but it so often ends up that way.

Semitic is also an ethnic term, and in europe, certainly around the time that the term 'anti-semite' came into usage, it was only talking about jews.

We could just use the older usage of 'jew-baiting'.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Thanks for your input, Nygdan.

The thing is, I don't understand why this term has been used to attack people who attack people of Jewish ancestry, when Jews aren't the only Semitic people. It seems like the people who started using the term were pretty ignorant of it.

I'm not denying that people attack Jews, and I don't condone it. My problem is that they could say "Jew-basher," "anti-Jew," "Jew-hater," "Israel-hater," or whatever, instead of "anti-Semite." It's a misnomer, if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I'm not denying that people attack Jews, and I don't condone it.

You DONT condone it ??? YOu think its OKAY ?? :shk:

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   

It seems like the people who started using the term were pretty ignorant of it.

Probably. I mean, an anti-semite isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch anyway no?

Indeed, they were ignorant of it, the only semites in europe are jews, not arabs (at the time anyway).

You DONT condone it ??? YOu think its OKAY ??

? You have it backwards, to condone something means to find it acceptable, to "excuse, overlook, or make allowances for; be lenient with"

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Thanks for your input, Nygdan.

The thing is, I don't understand why this term has been used to attack people who attack people of Jewish ancestry, when Jews aren't the only Semitic people. It seems like the people who started using the term were pretty ignorant of it.

I'm not denying that people attack Jews, and I don't condone it. My problem is that they could say "Jew-basher," "anti-Jew," "Jew-hater," "Israel-hater," or whatever, instead of "anti-Semite." It's a misnomer, if you ask me.

The problem is-truthseeker,

that reguardless of the meaning-in the past-now the phrase is used to describe anti-jewish BS.
In the same sence as back in my parents day, Gay ment happy, today it is universally understood to mean homosexual.
You may prefer the generally accepted meaning of the phrase in the past, but the past is the past and in todays world it is used to refer to anti-jewish people/phrasing of words.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

You DONT condone it ??? YOu think its OKAY ??

? You have it backwards, to condone something means to find it acceptable, to "excuse, overlook, or make allowances for; be lenient with"

Damn! My bad.!!
I got confused. Sorry about that.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Probably. I mean, an anti-semite isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch anyway no?

No, they're not exactly the smartest people, but I was referring to the people calling these anti-Jews anti-Semites. They should have looked for a better label.

And, mrmonsoon, your argument doesn't make sense. There wasn't a whole group of people exclusively referred to as the gays back in the day, it referred to an emotion. I guess I can call people who attack white people anti-'n-word's then, if we can just switch past meanings of words.:bnghd:

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
And, before y'all get it twisted again, I'm black and I reserve the right to use the term 'n-word', nigga, and any variation on it whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

No, they're not exactly the smartest people, but I was referring to the people calling these anti-Jews anti-Semites. They should have looked for a better label.

Truthseeker,

As I said, it was a general reference to someone who was happy-at that time.
not a special someone-anyone..as in gay and carefree.

In todays world-whether u like or agree with it or not, it is generally accepted by the vast majority of people to mean homosexual.

In the same sense, in todays world-whether u like or approve of it or not-Anit-Semite is used to refer to someone who is prejudice against Jewish people.

And, mrmonsoon, your argument doesn't make sense. There wasn't a whole group of people exclusively referred to as the gays back in the day, it referred to an emotion. I guess I can call people who attack white people anti-'n-word's then, if we can just switch past meanings of words.:bnghd:

mod edit: fixing quote tags

[edit on 16-12-2005 by parrhesia]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

And, before y'all get it twisted again, I'm black and I reserve the right to use the term 'n-word', nigga, and any variation on it whatsoever.

Cool! I'm WHITE and I reserve the same right to use those ignorant lables posted above.

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Oxford American Dictionary says:

Semite
a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semetic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.

Here's my personal beef with a similar issue. Firstly I'd like to note that I'm not a racist and I'm not against Jews (even though there are some Jews I don't particularly like - just like every other group of people). However, I do disagree with Israel's policies sometimes. However, making comments about such things often gets one labeled anti-Semetic, when that is not the case at all (for me, at least). Anti-Israeli government is not anti Jew at all.

Also, since when did pointing out that Israel does bad things (just like every other government on the planet) become such a touchy issue that people who do so are labeled racists more often than not?

top topics

join