It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vaccinations in the U.K. suffering a serious shortage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Much to my paranoia and suspicion, I was shocked to read in the Times that there is a shortage and danger of the vaccines running out, even though "millions" of orders were apparently placed by the government.

The story

mod edit: title clarity

[edit on 22-11-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The title of the thread is misleading...

Ministers have announced a shortage of flu vaccine, despite their recent pledge that this would not occur.
The Department of Health is advising GPs in England to use remaining stocks on those at highest risk.

It blames the shortage on demand outstripping supply, most likely fuelled by public concerns about the threat of a possible bird flu pandemic.

The vaccine does not protect against avian flu, but offers some protection against common winter influenza.

A government expert said GPs either did not order enough vaccines, or have been giving them to people not in high risk groups. That accusation has been hotly denied by doctors.

Those at high risk of seasonal flu have been urged to get themselves vaccinated.

They include the over-65s and people with health problems such as heart disease, asthma and diabetes.

The Department of Health said the 14.5 million vaccine doses that had been ordered by GPs from manufacturers have all been used, which, in theory, should be enough to protect the 11 million people deemed high risk.

BBC

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This kind of ticks me off, people scrabbling for a vaccine that is useless against the bird flu even when most years they wouldn't even bother and leaving those who genuinly need it without, for some people any flu can be as deadly as the bird flu and now they are left out in the cold while the hysterical reap zero benefit from there selfich actions.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I didn't even know that the vaccine was available to the public yet.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mashup
I didn't even know that the vaccine was available to the public yet.

There is no human avian flu vaccine available yet . The *shortage* is to do with the seasonal flu vaccine.

I've got mine because I fall into a risk group.

top topics

join