It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Boeing X-32 really ugly?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
When I was creating page about JSF I realized, that many people think, that it is very ugly plane. But my opinion is that in all its variants it is good looking plane. See:

That is original configuration called AVX-70

The basis of X-32 created Model 988-300 with all its variants

X-32A was made with model 988-371 shape

X-32B had provisional diamond wing as model 988-372

Later engineers realized, that this configuration is unstable, mainly during approach and landing on aircraft carrier. Because of that, they added horizontal tail surfaces. The first [provisional] model of that was model 988-372-4. It was then modified to model 988-373

The definitive and closest to production version was model 988-374.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
It just looks weird. I don't like the long landing gear. It looks weird. I'm sure they could have made a good airplane, I just don't think it looks very good. Of course looks don't have anything to do with how well the mission is performed.

Great post though.

You have voted matej for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

[edit on 11/22/2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Its one of the ugliest planes in the modern era, and Im somebody who likes the look of the A-10.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I think it was only the size of the intake that spoiled the look of it, it looks absolutely stunning in the head on artwork reproduced above. I once made a model of it but reconfigured the front fuselage to give a smaller intake and sleeker profile and I thought it looked excellent.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
It has a face only a mother could love...

I think its looks was probably a factor in its demise.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Makes you wonder if subconciously if aircraft design does make a difference when selecting an aircraft from competing companies...Just look at the F22 vs F23 selection process...yes the F22 is a better looking aircraft but did the F23 not have superior qualities to its rival ? I suppose the old adage of if it looks good it flys good must spring to mind...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I almost guarantee hat it does. The original flying wing was effective, and a pretty good design considering when it was built, and that they didn't have super computers to help them design it. But it looked Different, so it was Unacceptable.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Yeah according to globalsecurity.com the F23 had greater range,more stealthy and was almost as agile as the F22.It even says that the F23 was thought universally as better looking.....how ironic if it turns out that a FB23 is being worked on as we speak...

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well, it still looks a lot better then the F-117! Granted that looking better then an F-117 doesn't take much! I have to agree with Fred on the A-10, it doesn't look like much, but it has it where it counts.

Tim

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Form follows function

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The X-32 was only attractive from the top view. From the front, it was hideous.

One day, I was looking at it with someone from the JSF test team and it had a red plastic insert covering the intake to keep birds and foreign objects out. Standing in front of the airplane, the JSF guy commented that it looked like "a fat chick with too much lipstick."

Every time I looked at that inlet, I thought of the hazards of night time carrier deck operations. (There is a video of a deck crewman being sucked into the much smaller intake of an A-6.) Some people were already calling the X-32 the "Sailor Inhaler."

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It is that ugly that it would make enemy Mig pilots throw up!
. The YF-23 was nice for a future plane although it got turned down by the Raptor. I know this F-19A Specter (even the testors one)what im obsessed with sadly does not exist and was designed by some nobody but i still think it is a nice design for a future jet fighter.

Isnt russia supposed to be working on a JSF programme?. Thier Mig 35/142 was designed to counter our F/A-22 Raptor, Now they are doing a JSF thing too.
Those russians are SO original!.

The X-32 also reminds me of the old Vought A-7 Corsair attack plane with the big air intake underneath the cockpit. Bringing the F-32 JSF would just be like a second A-7 with VTOL capability. It could be boss if they made a JSF version of the YF-23.

[edit on 22-11-2005 by Browno]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Is Boeing X-32 really ugly?

It definitely smacked into every branch of the ugly tree on the way down, then landed into a load of pig crap before getting run over twice by the tractor.

Yeah, its ugly.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghost
Well, it still looks a lot better then the F-117! Granted that looking better then an F-117 doesn't take much! I have to agree with Fred on the A-10, it doesn't look like much, but it has it where it counts.

Tim

No way man - at least in black the F-117 looked menacing - the Boeing just looks... well, crap!

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bmdefiant
Makes you wonder if subconciously if aircraft design does make a difference when selecting an aircraft from competing companies...Just look at the F22 vs F23 selection process...yes the F22 is a better looking aircraft but did the F23 not have superior qualities to its rival ? I suppose the old adage of if it looks good it flys good must spring to mind...

Actually I thought the YF-23 was MUCH the more impressive looking of the two, I still think that the YF-22 looks as if it was drawn by a child and I took it to be the very anithesis of the 'if it looks right' adage. However the F/A-22 is much better in th8is respect and now at least 'looks right'.

If it was my decision I'd have ordered the YF-23 and told Boeing to pretty up the X-32 and come back next week
The X-35 just looks so boring!

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It's not bad... But it could look better tough... it should be less like a gick fat brick...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
sailor inhaler i like it

I think as waynos mentioned the last picture that is head on is very nice. it looks scaled back in the size of the inlet and the over all fat chick apperance.
its also interesting that someone mentioned how it looked liek the F-19 model because i have thought that for sometime now.
The mention of the long landing gear is pointless because most landing gear on planes that are made for carrier operation looks like that before the weight of the plane is pushing on it and forceing it to compress. the winning design of the X-35 is the same with the landing gear. If you look at a picture of the F-18 with gear down in the air it looks just as long.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This was definately one of the ugliest planes ever designed. I do believe that the overall looks of an aircraft play a large role in whether they are selected or not. BTW, The F-16 is in my opinion the best looking fighter plane of all time, followed closely by the P-51 Mustang

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Its just mis-understood.

I have to say, I am a fan of the A-10, the sunderland, hell I even love the Supermarine Warlus. I honestly have to say that I think the X-32 is a really odd design, but it has character, I would have been interesting to see what its service nickname would have been, maybe a contender for SUFF?

I have to say I really love the design.

- Phil

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Its nickname would have been been "Moped" because mopeds are like fat chicks. They are fun to ride but you don't want to be seen on them.

Also, a big fan of the A-10. "Fought" against them in NTC Ft. Irwin and saw them in action at Desert Storm. One bad airplane!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join