It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will happen once Castro dies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Lately ive been hearing this guys has got some health issues. Is it true? Is this the of Castro as we know it?

What's going to happen to Cuba?
Who is going to lead that country?
A close political friend of Castro's?
How will this effect other countries?
Will it effect other countries?
Am i making a big deal out of this?

All thoughts welcome.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
What will happen when Castro dies? I don't know, they'll probably have a funeral and then bury him!

Nah, but in all seriousness, I heard his brother is in line to take over. Hopefully whoever does take over, and whatever form of government they chose to adopt, will be a more open one for the Cuban people. They deserve better than Castro #2, or Castro Light.

Say what you want about the sanctions or the unfair treatmenty by the US towards Cuba, but none of that discounts the fact that Castro is a bad person and a Communist. He puts his grip on power and his own well-being ahead of that of his people. Granted, there are many other leaders who are similar that we still deal with. I think we've held this grudge too long. But I also think that we have a principle here and we must stand up for it. We cannot allow communism to continue to exist, and even spread, in the western hemisphere. That is a promise we made in the past and a promise that we must keep. That being said, I feel we do need a more open dialogue with Castro and the Cuban people.

We need to start preparing for the inevitable, and create the conditions for increasing the well-being of the Cuban people while not allowing whoever is in charge to line their pockets and tighten their hold on power like Castro has done for so long.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
hopefully when castro dies , new leadership can bring some new dialogue & change to finally end the embargo on Cuba. they need to be brought into the 21st century. are they not still driving cars from the 50's?
the united states have to change their Cuban policy at some point in time, they cannot continue to hold a grudge over different political ideologies.
compromise & negotiation is a beginning for both sides, the sooner the better.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
When Fidel Castro dies, I can foresee a power struggle. This would, in all likelihood, be the most pivotal time for Cuba. Since Fidel sort of "ran the whole show" through a cult of personality, there would be quite a vacuum left in Cuban politics. Even if Fidel's "brother" ( I didn't even know he had one) took over, there would still be the issue of "his" age and, of course, the sort of person that "he" was. He could even be tyrannical (and not in a benevolent way).

Holding elections would be inevitable and this would be the moment when a popular opposition could possibly enter the fray through popular acclaim. Of course, just like Castro did, the opposition could be "squashed" but, nevertheless, this could be the moment when independence and democracy could become reality. It might happen through the ballot but it could very well take a violent turn and Castro's death might be the sign that it could trigger this move. Hopefully the populist movement, now underground, will rise up with demonstrations and a nation-wide demand for truly free elections and genuine democracy instead of the autocracy and cult of personality that they have been governed by for the past fifty years.

top topics

join