It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too much video gaming=

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
People who have been playing video games for an excessive amount of time show signs of a drug addiction. This is pretty funny that we are considering video gamers "drug addicts" but at the same time almost true. I used to play some pretty addicting games ( Counter-strike ) and they are hard to stop playing, but some people just go way overboard. Spending their entire days in front of a monitor, transfixed in a make believe world, is a little much.

Check out this article www.newscientist.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
good article, but i doubt it will be well recieved here

I play console games like halo 2 and battlefield 2 so when i need to work and socialize , I do so pretty easily. but i do get the occasional "craving" especially with online play. I enjoy competitive online fps

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I knew I had played too many games when I got thrown out of the zoo for jumping on the turtles.

But really, there are people that take it too far. There was a guy somewhere not long ago that just died because he had been playing an online RPG for days with very little food, water or sleep, constantly. His body just packed in.

But when the world outside seems so crap, I think most Kids just want to escape, just want to pretend it isn't real and spend all their thoughts on fantasy. In that way it IS like a drug, it's a form of escapism when it is used excessively and can destroy a childs social life and health.

But hopefully, most kids know better. It's when it get's to be an "every waking hour" thing that it gets dangerous.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nonpoint
Spending their entire days in front of a monitor, transfixed in a make believe world, is a little much.

Isnt this what I do every day at ATS?

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I do myself spend hours in front of my computer monitor, even though my computer blows. But some people need to experience things first hand to learn. A few kids I know dont realize this. I've pretty much given up trying to help them go out. I used to play basketball, paintball, and baseball with them but now they are submersed into a few computer games, World of Warcraft (ironically). Spending time on this site/forum for me is a learning experience. I hope to become a little more worldy and a little less "ignorant". I just hope that eventually I can get a few kids to experience things for themsleves, even if they dont particularly want to. Your attitude can make a huge difference when it comes to breaking the habbit.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Moderation is the key to life

I was watching a WOW (World of Warcraft) convention on TV and a guy there had 182 game days played and the game had only been out for something like 365 day.

It worked out to a average 12 hours a day game play

Its gets insane for some, people have lost jobs over games like Everquest they didnt call it Evercrack for nothing

[edit on 22-11-2005 by ShadowXIX]

new topics

top topics

join