It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

content rights button

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Ahhhh....

I did wonder when yesterday, Amroymeltzer posted a link after I posteda womble related story in the "BIG Announcement coming soon" thread..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Did wonder...

Still not entirely sure why he posted it though.....maybe a U2U is in order?

[edit on 22/11/05 by stumason]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
I think this is in response to something which happened before.

ATS was miss-quoted in some 'Science Journal' and I assume, this is ATS taking legal action to make sure they are never miss-quoted again.

Totally incorrect.

We are making sure our members rights and AboveTopSecret.com,LLP's rights are protected by virtue of having the guidelines clearly spelled out for using our content.

This is a legally tried and true (precident has been set) "copyright" protection system that embraces the internet culture of share and share alike.

It has NOTHING to do with being misquoted or anything close to that.

Springer...

[edit on 11-22-2005 by Springer]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
This new integration of the Creative Commons license information is a nod to the fact that we have such vital and interesting material that the desire of some people to use it elsewhere is undeniable and inevitable. Since we have so much content and so many guests, there is no possible way we can police where and how our material is used to prevent copy-and-paste of entire posts.

Combine this with an expanded way in which our content will be used (TV show), and the need for a more clear way for members to know their contributions are legally covered in a widely accepted way. Especially for the possibility of new members who have some cache or established credibility in our topic areas. If they consider joining ATS because of what they see on the show, they'll need reassurance that their contributions are properly covered.

The Creative Commons ideal tackles these issues in a way that protects the rights of both the author and publisher, while being nicely compatible with the core Internet culture of collaboration and the ethics of share and share alike. We're now saying that our material can be shared, in a strictly not-for-profit way, if the following is complied with:
1) The member's name is credited as author
2) The member and ATS are credited as owner
3) The thread title is indicated
4) A link is included to the first page of the thread
(I wanted a link to the first page because I believe the totality of the thread places the single post in context, and is far more important.)

The Creative Commons license is a legally tested approach with precedence, growing support, and the involvement of some stellar intellectual property legal minds. In addition, their advocacy efforts for a continued free and open Internet are not only vital to a site like ATS, but represents one of the few non-profit causes we could embrace without possible political bias.

In one smooth stroke, we suddenly are openly denying ignorance in a way that makes us impeccably good "Internet citizens".

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
At times like this I wish I had ATS when I was in college.

They had JUST started to allow people to cite from internet sources then.

The level of research by ATS members on a whole host of topics is of such high quality that proper citation and credit is an absolute must. There are some topics that people literally have devoted countless hours to. If someone's gonna quote that, they darn well should have to give credit where credit is due.

I'm thrilled with this new feature.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join