It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Woman Tries To Open Plane Door In Mid-Flight For Cigarette

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
A French woman has been arrested on landing at Brisbane airport for trying to open a plane door whilst the plane was in mid-flight.Sandrine Helene Sellies was seen walking towards the door with an unlit cigarette and lighter. She pleaded guilty to endangering the safety of an aircraft at Brisbane Magistrates Court and was given a 12-month A$1,000 (£429) good behaviour bond.

news.bbc.co.uk
A French woman has admitted attempting to open an aeroplane door mid-flight so that she could smoke a cigarette.
Sandrine Helene Sellies, 34, who has a fear of flying, had drunk alcohol and taken sleeping tablets ahead of the flight from Hong Kong to Brisbane.

She was seen on the Cathay Pacific plane walking towards a door with an unlit cigarette and a lighter.

She then began tampering with the emergency exit until she was stopped by a flight attendant.

She pleaded guilty to endangering the safety of an aircraft at Brisbane Magistrates Court and was given a 12-month A$1,000 (£429) good behaviour bond - she will forfeit the money if she commits another offence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although i find this story hillarious it could have turned out an absolute disaster.

How easy is it to open a plane door whilst flying...Do they have safety locks etc to prevent it?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Oh, man! That's outrageous...

Defence lawyer Helen Shilton said her client had no memory of what had happened on the flight on Saturday, and that she had a history of sleepwalking.

She got off easy, man... Really easy.

Zip

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Alcohol and sleeping tablets will make you lose your mind?
Honestly airlines must be making way too much money with alcohol sales. I would think a drunk person would be a threat to the passengers safety. It is silly they still serve alcohol on flights yet in the US you can't have a lighter with you on your flight.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Alcohol and sleeping tablets will make you lose your mind?

Yup!!!

It is silly they still serve alcohol on flights

Maybe a limit on how much one person could drink would be better than an outright ban?

yet in the US you can't have a lighter with you on your flight.

I believe this is also true here in the UK...although many people would not know that!

Mic

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I have to agree with zipdot, she should have been treated just like anyone else who would have been involved in something like that. Whether or not she was drunk, she was a still a (potential) threat to the safety of the aircraft and the passengers.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Every flight I've been on that serves alcohol has a two drink limit, and their drinks are quite weak to begin with. I've never had a lighter confiscated during a security check, but the last flight I was on was a domestic flight last Thanksgiving from Houston to Denver. (Steamboat Springs in the house!)

Zip

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think it said that she was drinking before the flight, so even if they have a ban or maximum it wouldn't have mattered since she was drunk beforehand. Just a thought.

And yes drinking and taking sleeping tablets is not only dangerous (Marylin Monroe...if you don't believe in conspiracy theories) but they WILL make you loose your mind. Don't try this at home kiddies.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
How easy is it to open a plane door whilst flying...Do they have safety locks etc to prevent it?

It's practically impossible to open an aircraft door mid-flight on a commercial jet. This article explains it. But essentially, the outward pressure of the pressurized cabin forces the door shut.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
They are saying in the Australian Press that she was sleep walking.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Wow

That is about all I can say.

I am a pilot of small aircraft and have opened a door (to re-seal it) at 10,000 feet or below. My aircraft is NOT pressurized and it still took one hell of an effort to do it.

She would NEVER have gotten that door open, however she needed to be punished for attempting to and I think she got off pretty lite.

I am not a smoker mind you, but after that story...I think I'll pop outside for a butt and a Jack and Coke!

At least I am on the ground..right?

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
NEWS: Flight attendent stops stupidest thing ever

She got off way too easy. You take responsibility for your drinking when driving, or when assaulting someone, why shouldn't you when you recklessly attempt to take down an entire plane?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I agree with some of the posters here....this woman got off way too easily. An additional "punishment" should have been added -- she should be forced to go through a smoking cessation clinic until she is certifiably a non smoker (verified by blood tests to determine her nicotine/blood content).

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure you can't open the doors without them being 'armed'. Before you take off and after landing the attendants have key type things with ribbons that they engage into the mechanism somehow, and the captain can be heard saying 'attendant's, please arm/dis-arm your doors' etc.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
NEWS: Flight attendent stops stupidest thing ever

She got off way too easy. You take responsibility for your drinking when driving, or when assaulting someone, why shouldn't you when you recklessly attempt to take down an entire plane?

Agreed.

They really should of made an example out of her.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
What the hell is a good behavior bond???

The pay you for being bad???

*Leaves with bat to cause mass destruction*

Mic

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
*Leaves with bat to cause mass destruction*

Just make sure you cause destruction on an airplane, drunk and looped up on sleeping pills.

That way you will only get a judicial slap on the wrist.

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Stupid, and I don't buy it. I traveled transatlantic first class being fed drinks from before takeoff right until landing also popping pills and the thought never crossed my mind to step out for a cig (even though I am an avid smoker).

[edit on 11/21/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Just read the above article.
I'd just like to know what they're mixing with the "oxgen
flow" in airplanes these days? Sheesh!

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
why in the world are people able to take lighters onboard a plane?? i recently went to new york, on the way friends of mine were able to take deoderant cans and lighters onboard in their hand luggage. airport security...i say what security. some woman checking bags with an xray type machine who's not actually paying that much attention...yeah we're all safe

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I'm curious, was she blonde? Or just drunk? Or mentally incapacitated in some other way?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join