It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wine Recommendations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Not being a wine drinker, I'm finding myself at a loss trying to determine a good wine or two to bring for Thanksgiving dinner.

Other than just going to the wine shop and looking around or asking for advice from the people that work there, I thought I would see if any forum members had any recommendations they would like to share.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
okay IMO.

red wine at room temp is the ideal wine to drink when eating dinner also a crisp dry white wine. but for afterwards i would suggest a medium dry white wine.....

i dont know much about alcohol i swear!

oni x x

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I work at a wine shop. If your having turkey I would suggest a lighter red. Pinot Noir or a Bugundy (also a Pinot) would do just fine. Or a Beaujolais from France is also really popular. If not a red then try something like a dry Reisling.:w:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I drink merlot with everything; beef, chicken, fish, swine, coon, rabbit, possum, muskrat, squirrel, and nutria.

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I would probably have to go with some red wine. Im more for other types of drinks. Dont want to say because its probably not allowed, but red wine is all ill say.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I like a White or Blush Zinfandel.

I also like the Yellowtail Shiraz.

But a big pitcher of Sangria is usually what we have with our Thanksgiving feast, however it's usually done before we even sit at the table.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I like a White or Blush Zinfandel.

I also like the Yellowtail Shiraz.

But a big pitcher of Sangria is usually what we have with our Thanksgiving feast, however it's usually done before we even sit at the table.

Ahh, forgot about those. Stupid me. The White is good, I dont know though, I usually go for the bit stonger stuff, like Crown or Tequila.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thanksgiving wine

Wine isn't about whats good by the book or popular by the supposed afficinados. Its about what you like. There is practically nothing that an be suggested that you will necessarily like, merely because a different person with a different palate and a different taste, finds enjoyable. not to say that people are being pretentious or anything like that when they do make recommendations, just trying to say, to find out what wines are good, drink a lot of different wines! What ya like is what is good.

So, moving along, in the fall, I like to have reislings and may wines (may wines are german wines made with a sprinkling of bark powderized). They just jive for me. Use a reisling (often pronounced reez ling , tho i thought it was rise ling for a long time) as a desert wine.

I am surprised to see so many people go straight to the reds for a turkey dinner. Not disagreeing, just noting that, not so long ago, that sort of thing was 'hush hush' and not mentioned in polite company.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I recently read -- somewhere -- that Riesling was a wine that could be paired with almost any food. Of course, it is a matter of taste but that's what the "experts" say. Nevertheless, here is a link that might help;
www.inetours.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I think it depends on when you plan to drink the wine. Since Turkey is so low in fat, I think a White Zinfandel is a good choice. BUT, if you plan on drinking wine after dessert, I suggest a light, sparkling wine.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I bought a bottle of the Reisling along with my usuals, figured it's a perfect occassion to try something new.

And yes the bottle does say it goes well with Poultry.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Want to try something different? A few years ago on a whim, I picked up a bottle of cranberry wine (obviously I'm not an oenophile) and it's been a "must have" at the holidays ever since. I'm sure there are versions of this around but here's one [url=http://www.lanthierwinery.com/homepage/menuitems/lanthierwines/wines.html]>LINKLINK

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Not to change the subject, but if you'd like to try some really great beer over the holidays here you go [url=http://www.ommegang.com/]>LINK

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
cranberry wine!!! wow never even knew they made wine from cranberries, I'll check my local store, if not I'll order one in time for christmas.

It sound delicious, hopefully it's tart and sweet enough at the same time. I like fruity flavors

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hey, I'd never steer anybody wrong. On purpose. As far as you know.
If you find it, let me know what you think.

Very windy and chilly here, today. I think it's a Maker's Mark night.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
And yes the bottle does say it goes well with Poultry.

Ack! Faux pas!

Families are not unlike any other group of people - each has its own culture. We all have the choice to keep the traditional cultures of our families or adopt our mates', or attempt to create our own based on the individuality of our family. Drink choices at Thanksgiving do not rely solely on the menu. Follow your instincts. :w:

Zip

top topics

join