It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Mirrors to light Tyrolean town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Rat Mountain, a 3000 foot hill, blocks sunlight from reaching Rattenberg, a small town nestled in the Austrian Alps, between November and February every year. Now a company named Bartenbach Lichtlabor GmbH plans to install 30 heliostats to direct sunshine into the village from reflectors mounted near the neighboring village of Kramsach. If the effort is successful, the technology could be applied to some 60 villages in the Tyrol region of the Alps that suffer the same fate each winter.

www.signonsandiego.com
Mirrors to banish winter darkness in small Tyrolean town

By George Jahn
ASSOCIATED PRESS

9:03 a.m. November 20, 2005

RATTENBERG, Austria – The sun has stopped shining in Rattenberg. But with the aid of a few mirrors, the winter darkness that grips this small town could soon be brightened up with pockets of sunshine.
That's because sun is plentiful less than 10 minutes' walk from the town and from Rat Mountain, the 3,000-foot hill that blocks its sunlight between November and February each year.

The solution: 30 heliostats, essentially rotating mirrors, mounted on a hillside to grab sunshine off reflectors from the neighboring village of Kramsach.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I like the idea of using this technology to bring light into the darkness of winter for these villlagers. It won't be cheap, and it won't be easy, either, though. The process demands precise alignment of the reflectors and the heliostats throughout the day, and minor distortions in the mirrors and bad weather such as high winds could cause problems.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Seriously kewl, IMO.

Great find.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Interesting idea. I think that living in the shadow of a hill for several months could be depressing, but I wonder if is is a lot of work if all someone needs to do take a 10 minute walk to grab some sun...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
That is a great find -- I can't wait to hear how this works out. But do they have to do some real positioning to avoid having blind spots in roads and the air?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Sounds good, buy why not remove the hill?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I've been looking for pictures of this phenomenon, but I'm only finding pictures where the town looks normal and pictures where it appears to be overcast. Is this what the townsfolk are complaining about?

external image

Zip

[edit on 11/21/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
These people have lived for, probably, thousands of years without sunlight, and now they want to pipe it in? Why?

What next, daylight for Alaska too?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Maybe they're tired of being left in the dark. You know, like the American public is by our government. I, for one, am tired of being treated like a mushroom - left in the dark and fed B.S.

I'm sure the good townsfolk of Rattenberg are tired of being in the dark four months a year, as well. It probably snows quite a bit in the winter up there, too, and for the elderly and the disabled, the ones who need the restorative power of sunlight the most, ten minutes is still too far away. If we can apply technology to bring light to their little town, I'm all for it.

We need more of this type of technological application to assist people in need and ease their burdens. We have developed plenty of ways to blow people up and burn them to a crisp, why not use the same technology to help people and improve their quality of life?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Maybe they're tired of being left in the dark. You know, like the American public is by our government. I, for one, am tired of being treated like a mushroom - left in the dark and fed B.S.

Please tell me WHAT in the world has made you twist your OWN thread to vent political disenfranchisment? Maybe should post something in government, not SCI / TECH.

Annnywaaaaay, I can see it now...cities sueing other cities for STEALING sunshine.

I guess if you can redirect or "pipe in" sunlight then you could probabaly find a way to mis-direct it and leave any given city in the dark

- One Man Short

[edit on 21-11-2005 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I remember reading recently tha there's a town in Northern Italy with the same problem. No one was willing to dish out the money to buy mirrors for them however.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Please tell me WHAT in the world has made you twist your OWN thread to vent political disenfranchisment? Maybe should post something in government, not SCI / TECH.

I admit it was lame. What I was really trying to do was set up the mushroom joke. The political atmosphere around here is too charged, and I'm apparently on the wrong side of the fence compared to most of the other ATSNN posters . I should have known better, but hey, I'm a loose cannon.

Btw, I do post plenty of political stories, too. My insincere apologies to anyone offended.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
I remember reading recently tha there's a town in Northern Italy with the same problem. No one was willing to dish out the money to buy mirrors for them however.

Same problem? That is bizarre... and to the picture of Rattenberg looking like a "normal" town, well it doesn't look normal to me. Why are all the windows so black? I half-expect a vampire to glide, quietly, slowly up behind me... brrrr!

new topics

top topics

join