It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: SAS mission to kill a Baghdad suicide squad

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SurfDiveSail
One of the biggest problems the SAS has is its publicity. Ever since the Iranian embassy siege of '73 they have been in the public eye and therefore have been a stepping-stone for amitious young officers.

Iranian Embassy seige (Op Nimrod) was in 1980.

Agree though, It seems to me that every officer I ever worked with in the infantry had a go at selection. The fact that they were still working with me suggests that most had failed

This is a demonstration of the best way to deal with suicide bombers. It worked in Vietnam, it's still working today.

BTW, it is not just SAS etc. who deal with suicide bombers like this. It is a standard tactic used by all teeth-arm troops to counter this threat. This situation is probably unique due to the intelligence used in its' planning and the fact that it was offensive in nature (take them out before they mount the attack). Most units use this technique in a defensive way, i.e. to take out bombers as they attack.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeehaa

I have it on good authority the next big scoop will be some marine sniper with a 100kills + just to out do this iraq sniper Juba.

Yes that is supposedly a marine in Anbar province, where guess what.... Faluja sits in the middle of. One sniper in the last battle of Faluja had 24 kills in 2 weeks. 100 kills may be a conservative estimate if this man has been in country for a year or more.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Why are they paired with delta force? I thought the green berets were the Army group with special forces snipers? Isn't delta force more often used for less sublte missions, snatch and grab, demolish a building, etc?

Delta force can be thought of as the SAS's younger brother. Delta was in part modeled after the SAS. They also sometimes have joint training exercises.

It makes perfect sense that they work with each other.

As for the mission in this thread
More proof as to why these guys are widely considered the best of the best

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join