It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-2D Advanced Hawkeye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Northrop Grumman Passes Final Design Review for Advanced Hawkeye Aircraft

www.irconnect.com...

BETHPAGE, N.Y. --- Northrop Grumman Corporation and the U.S. Navy successfully completed the critical design review of the E-2D Advance Hawkeye aircraft. All the team's basic designs, including the new radar, mission computer and workstations had been improved and Northrop Grumman can now complete production of the two test aircraft.

Northrop Grumman's Integrated Systems sector is performing the work as prime contractor under a $2 billion system development and demonstration contract from the Navy.

“The E-2D is not an evolution of the Hawkeye family, even though it is the sixth generation of this system,'' said Tim Farrell, vice president of Airborne Early Warning Programs at Northrop Grumman Integrated Systems. “It is a revolutionary design. The E-2D Advanced Hawkeye concentrates battle-management, theatre-air-missile-defense and multiple sensor-fusion capabilities in one platform, while enabling the use of the most advanced technologies from the commercial and military worlds as they are developed, when they are needed.

“That is a huge technological accomplishment that was only possible because we have a remarkable team of companies, and the successful critical design review confirms that,'' Farrell said.

www.dcmilitary.com...

Advanced Hawkeye will benefit from a new, higher-power rotating UHF radar antenna, the ADS-18 electronically scanned array. The E-2D's longer detection range and smaller target discrimination will extend the platform's traditional roles to include theater air missile defense.

Other advances in the E-2D design include a tactical cockpit with three 17-inch LCD primary flight displays; navigation systems upgrades; an improved communications suite; advanced combat information center and mission data processing; and the digitally controlled NP2000 eight-bladed rotor system.

www.airforce-technology.com...

Looks like 75 E-2D new build hawkeye's will be ordered.

www.globalsecurity.org...

[edit on 21-11-2005 by Jezza]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Back in the '80's Grumman proposed a version of the E-2 powered by ALF 502 turbofans blowing over the wing (USB) as with the YC-14 and An-72 series. Will this version be more efficient than that one or will the upgrade be all systems based I wonder?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
From what i've read it will appear identical outside as in the E-2C.
The aircraft will meet airborne early warning, surveillance, battle management and theater missile defense needs, as the Navy achieves its Sea Power 21 concepts in support of Joint Vision 2020.

Mission system will be completely redesigned to accommodate new radar, antenna, workstations and displays, as well as a cockpit layout that includes a fourth mission-operator station in addition to the three in the rear of the aircraft.
Wih a "two generation leap" in radar capability

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Well I think that the idea is awesome... The Hawkey is an exelent plane when it comes to surveillance, and an advanced model is good news...

BTW, I like your avatar, the F/A-18 sure is a pretty bird...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Northrop Grumman still has a presence in Bethpage? My grandfather was an engineer for Grumman for 30 years on Long Island. He worked on the A-6, F-111, F-14, E-2, and other programs there. I thought Grumman was pretty much gone from Long Island, though.

[edit on 21-11-2005 by vt hokie]

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Interesting,

Its odd to me, why not go with the MV-22 MASC concept, some thing which the RN are still thinking about, a Osprey with a cut down version of the E-2 radome. With the USN supporting Ground operations more and more, why not go with a modulator design with an aircraft that can also be quickly converted to support ground troops or air refueling operations.

Its an idea, Hell a large enough UAV could do it.

- Phil

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
About time i would say and as its from Grumman im sure its high quality.

new topics

top topics

join