It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are today's heroes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Simple enough. Who are your personal heroes? Who do you respect, and if you like why? They have to be alive...

Here are 3 of mine

1. Dalai Lama - he's just a cool spirtual guy.
2. Michael Moore - yeah he's fat but he makes films that make you think.
3. Wayne Gretzky - I love hockey, he's the man. G'luck to team Canada in Turin.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Sharon Osbourne....she is a woman who stands her ground dont give a
what people say or think.
she has battled cancer and she has been though so much in her life....
and she doesnt go around crying about it...( for publicity).
she is a wonderful woman and she is soooo funny.

she is my role model.

oni x x

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hey Robinm, great choice for the Dalai Lama. He is an amazing guy.

My choice has got to be Colonel Jorge Mendonca, DSO. He is by all accounts, a brilliant soldier much loved by all those under his command.

He has served with distinction in Iraq, being awarded the Distguished Service Order for his efforts. His standards of humility, bravery and dedication to duty are a lesson to us all.

Yet this fine officer stands accused by the Blair government, of a gross dereliction of duty and is facing a general courts martial. He is about to be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness and the powers that be, are more than willing to throw him to the wolves.

In my view, he is the embodiment of professionalism, and a superb role model to us all.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I said I wasnt going to post but im feeling a little bit better today. I would have to say that Jim Carrey would be one of my idols. He is one of the funniest actors I have ever seen. I have the dry sense of humor to just sit back and think that some of the dumbest things are funny. Jim, and Billy Bob Thorton are definantly the top two on my list.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Brodband, good choice on JC... the other JC I guess. Good to see you posting.

I am also adding BONO to my list.. can't believe I forgot about him, not only is he great a musician but he is one of the few that can actually influence politicians and is actively involved in trying to change the world. My buddy met him in Toronto and told him "you've changed my life Bono!". Bono's reply was all class, he gave my buddy a hug then told him "No man, it's you who has changed my life". What a guy.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
For me todays heros are the non public ones,

The kid who battles illness, the child that cares for a sick adult,

The women or man who brings up children alone,
The man or women that works hard to better there life.

Every man women and child that has shown amazing courage through tough times, there my heros and you dont have to look to far to find them...there all around us,

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

And my biggest hero of all:

LTC Eric Kurilla:

external image

[edit on 21-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala

Every man women and child that has shown amazing courage through tough times, there my heros and you dont have to look to far to find them...there all around us,

Didnt even think about that. Yeah, they are everywhere. No one ever stops to think about people on airplanes for instance. They could be going to a funreral, a doctor saving somones life. Mostly alot of people just look up and are like, stupid plane makes too much noise. Good one asala. Didnt think about that.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Can't forget about these boys and what they have went through.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Yeah, they dont deserve to be over there right now. My opinion, please to not attack me for this, is that they are just fighing for oil. I believe that the establishment of "our governement" is just a bunch of you know what. Thats just my opinoin though.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I was going to name some "sports heroe" but then I read Asala's post. It made me realize that the true heroes are those everyday people who you never read about in magazines or see on television. They are your neighbors, your friends, that guy down the street who is always helping his elderly neighbors. A true heroe can be anyone, not just someone who scores a goal or stars in a movie, but more often than not it is someone who is coping with life and does his/her best to help others cope with the daily grind of life as well.

If I could give you an "applause", Asala, I most surely would.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
mohammed ali

a true insperation to people to stand up for their values

NR

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
bodrul mohammed ali was my role model back in the day! I use to be a boxer because of him....

My true inspiration was Imam Khomeini, he was able to drive a nation with strenght and kick a puppet regime. He could run several revolutions on daily occasions.... he was a idol to all shiites around the world

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   

just noticed this thanks to brodband for quoting it
and i must say its well put out and said

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
A Fireman's Prayer

When I am called to duty, God,

Whenever flames may rage;
Give me strength to save some life,
Whatever be its age.
Help me embrace a little child
Before it is too late
Or save an older person

From the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert
And hear the weakest shout,
And quickly and efficiently
To put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling
And to give the best in me
To guard my every neighbor
And protect his property.
And if, according to my fate,
I am to lose my life,
Please bless with your protecting
My children and my wife.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I've never really have a hero, but if I had to pick one person, it'd be Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Oh, and just a sleiu of really awesome people: Watson and Crick, Hawking, Brian Greene, Barak Obama, Neil Armstrong, George Carlin, and tons of others.

new topics

top topics

join