It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cost of War- Article worth the read

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
An article that I came across in maxim mens magazine Nov. issue. Its details the cost of war and how vets returning home have to face life.

Article

No End in Sight

The cost of the war on terror can’t be calculated in rising gas prices or soaring national debt. The real toll is being brought back from the Middle East by a generation of soldiers whose neglect is becoming a mounting national shame.

Maxim, November 2005

Mod Edit: Removed most of a full copy paste article. Please review the Terms And Conditions Of Use.

[edit on 20-11-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Nice article.

Gotta love Maxim.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Wonderful article, thanks for sharing it.

The Jeff Lucey story was a heartbreaker, especially this part

But on a Monday, the night before he killed himself, Jeff began talking to his father about Iraq. He asked if he could sit in his father’s lap......“That night he sat on my lap for about 45 minutes,” Kevin says. “I scratched his head. It felt a bit awkward, but how could I say no?” They sat and rocked. A middle-age man and his 23-year-old son.

This, also, was something that I had never even thought about.

While addressing a government conference in May, Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson revealed that the unemployment rate for male veterans between ages 20 and 24 was 20.4 percent, almost twice the 11 percent rate of their civilian counterparts.

And to all the Bush supporters, what's the excuse for this?

Then, in June, the VA admitted it was short $1 billion for this year’s budget. They’d underestimated the number of vets needing care after returning from Iraq and Afghanistan in 2005; they’d figured on 24,000, but now it looks more like 103,000.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I know what you mean by seeing the numbers. And over 100,000 wounded that need special care and they dont even have the money for that. Its sad how everyone says that they support the war but cant even support the vets after they return from the war. These are guys that went thru alot and its pretty sad how they have to live like they do when they get home.

And the number of vets living on the streets when they get home is just sickening. All the people that are for the war and support it.... wheres the support now?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
lets ask Congress. wonder where all the money go. too much bureaucracy again.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Yes way to much, I dont know why this is still going on, probably becuase they spent to much on the war so far and dont want to spend more. But I think rehabalitation should be a cost of war... like the rebuilding effort more shoud be done.

top topics

join