It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future Shaping Of ATSNN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
My motive in starting this thread is simple. I want to know what ATS members like and dislike about ATSNN.

In a strive to mature, grow and suit the needs of the members it is important to hear the valuable voice of contributors and readers.

I'd love to hear from our newest members as well as the board "old hands".

Changes can and will be made, Its really up to you guys to tell us.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The voting system.

Maybe it needs to be expanded to give a member a better idea of what is "wrong." Maybe it needs to be eliminated because it's used as a form of bias. Either way it can't stay.

Also, it's time to get back to basics, not every "home town story" deserves an ATSNN thread, there are plenty of forums in ATS, BTS, and PTS where these can be posted.

My two sense.

News Monkeys, not just for yellow journalism anymore...

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The voting system, doesn't work as well as it could do. To be honest, we need a system of 'Yes', 'No' or 'Problems'. If you vote 'No', on a story you should then be given a field to send a comment to the author of the article so you can tell them what is wrong with it.

The same with 'Problem' [or some other similar word], so you can say what needs to be changed [bias, etc] before it'll get your vote.

You need a given count of 'Yes' votes sent too you.

When something stops being 'News' [normally after a week], it needs to be placed in the right PTS, [BTS or ATS] thread so that you do not clog up ATSNN. [Which has a rather large back catalog of articles].

The ATSNN forum needs to be expanded, so that you [us members] can keep track of the forums we are more interested in rather than the top 5 submissions in are 'MyATS', so that more of us see the threads we are interested in.

I would love to see more exclusive ATS content, like was done with the FEMA camps. I'd rather that be the future of ATSNN instead of us just posting material from other sites onto here.

All content around one story, needs to be posted in that story [keeping it as fresh news and not moving it off of the ATSNN feed. while it is still on going.] It is a waste of space to start a story off and then for someone else to post the 'next part' of it on an alternative thread. It also makes it a lot harder for people to keep track of how a story evolves both onsite and offsite.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Less "Drudgery", more original content.
But I see, that something is in the works, to fix that. It's a good thing.

The voting system...
I see submissions get pushed off the first page. Often by expert member's posts. Maybe experts still need a voting requirement. Maybe half the number of yes's?
I alos agree with Mirthful, that the voting palette, needs to be revisited.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Another thing: [Sorry]

I would like to see an ATSNN based monthly or weekly publication. Not the Newsletter but rather something non-members can sign up with an editor and the most important stories could be published in there, with a track back to the responses by members. [All online based.]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It seems to me that some newsworthy stories get buried in the queue. If they're posted at an off-hour and then not replied too, they drops off the front page and aren't seen to get votes. If I go directly to the ATSNN page, all I get is approved stories.

Maybe there should be a link to all the submitted stories in one place. Or maybe there is one and I'm just missing it?

I also agree with Mirthful's and Odium's points.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaglewingz
Maybe there should be a link to all the submitted stories in one place. Or maybe there is one and I'm just missing it?

Skeptic has answered that here.

Originally posted by eaglewingz
I also agree with Mirthful's and Odium's points.

You best do! Mostly mine and not monkey boys.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I would like to see the mission for ATSNN better defined. A Conspiracy News portal is fantastic, but when tons of stories are up that don't fit the bill, there needs to be some sort of catch to keep things along the right track.

Also, team tinfoil!

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
My suggestions

1) Experts get an automatic upgrade. What is the reason for this? If it's good/relevant/important submission it will get voted up, if not....it won't. I don't see a need for this, if it's meant to be a "perk", then ok, so be it. But if not i think these members should have to follow the same guidelines and criteria that the rest of us (also members) have to.

2) Unless it's just me there's no "preview post" option for submissions. Seems like a good idea to be able to preview your submission (for editing purposes) before putting it on the boards.

3) An option, for those who choose, to include a u2u message along with your no vote. Where applicable it would be helpfull to know why their post doesn't make the cut. I know that when i have gotten them before i had a tough time knowing exactly what needed to be fixed.

That's all i got for now.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I've already mentioned most of my ideas, so I'll just say congrats to Thomas Crowne and Nerdling!

I'm sure ATSNN will be in good hands with them.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I would like to see mods monitor ATSNN submissions and delete ones that do not meet minimum structural and grammatical criteria. The rest of the criteria could be monitored by membership, but those that are so weak do nothing to but clog up things and, possibly, prevent those who are conscientious submitters from covering that story.

Some examples:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I second what Grady just said.
One liner Introduction paragraphs just shouldn't ever make it as a ATSNN publication. Getting a 250 point upgrade and 50 point replies need to be a earned with more than a one liner and a copy & paste.

Another thing that might improve ATSNN is the removal of replies that are off topic. For example mudslinging or critique on submissions.
ATSNN threads should be the best of what ATS members have to offer to the web.

I think it would be great to add or remove subjects to the "News categories."
If I had to change them I would make the categories like this:

War on Terrorism. News that relates to WoT not including wars that are of another nature.
Science and Technology. News of Space, Science and Technology. Including new discoveries and new inventions.
Major Political News. Political news that has a major effect. For example, federal elections and scandals.
Health and Medical. News about the bird flu, mad cow and things of this nature. Also including medial breakthroughs such as stem cell research.
Alternative News. This would cover areas such as paranormal news and UFO news.

Here is my "Wild Card Idea," Editorial Cartoons. This would be a section for Editorial Cartoons created by ATS members. I think at least a couple of ATS members would be really good at this.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I would like to see mods monitor ATSNN submissions and delete ones that do not meet minimum structural and grammatical criteria. The rest of the criteria could be monitored by membership, but those that are so weak do nothing to but clog up things and, possibly, prevent those who are conscientious submitters from covering that story.

Great examples Grady. If you note I posted my reasons for the way I voted right in the thread. It was not meant as harassment either it was to point out that many of the newer contributors are clearly not reading the guidelines when posting. I realize that may seem rude to some, but how else will these people learn? Several have attempted to put up threads to help the new comers yet for some odd reason they never read the rules. Why is that? We all know they are on the submission page right along side of where you enter the text you are submitting yet as your examples have shown it is apparent they cannot read and understand. :shk:

That alone is one area that needs improvement, just how it could be implemented I am not sure.

I do not know if it is possible to code submissions to reject posts containing less then three periods, but that could be a start.

Just my one cent as I am cheap

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I too have already posted my thoughts and ideas on the matter and everyone has heard them.

New Categories
earth and environment
medical news

voting system that allows maybe experts to u2u submitters direct and nicely suggest improvements and edits

Nerdling and TC to be active on ATSNN helping with edits and responding to u2u's and assisting submitters.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

voting system that allows maybe experts to u2u submitters direct and nicely suggest improvements and edit

I agree with that suggestion but the expert should not be able to see who the submitter is. Do not know if that is possible but certainly something to consider.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yes if that can be worked.. but the expert should by the point of expert status be unbiased anyway.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Instead of "Experts" I think ATSNN need "Editors" and "Staff" willing to work with members on submissions, make changes, correct spelling and upgrade stories only when they meet acceptable standards.

I think Members shouldn't see submissions until they are either approved or placed into a regular forum when standards cannot be met at all.

Of course we want more "exclusive" "original" material, but since that is not always feasible, I would like to see the news covered by us be more editorialized. The opinion part of the "regular news" should the focus instead of the coverage which every media has.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I agree totally on the titles. I suggested it to Nerdling in the ATSNN panel meeting before the election.

btw will the panel continue or be disbanded.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

. but the expert should by the point of expert status be unbiased anyway.

Mayet, quantity is not equal quality.

I remember more than one expert-submission, (not yours, Mayet
) I'd vote NO! BIAS!! (or grammar) if I've had the choice to vote on them.

I like WW's idea.

In case one gets NO-votes, he can ask staff or editors for help. I did this in the past (since english is not my first language I've been unsure what was wrong when NO-votes came in) and I always(!) found a friendly and charmant moderator who helped me.

[edit on 20-11-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yes if that can be worked.. but the expert should by the point of expert status be unbiased anyway.

Yes they should be unbiased as an expert. Yet we all know that some may be biased for other reasons. That was my point and the reason that the expert should not know who they are giving advice to.

I do not know just how the old system worked over a year ago, but when you made a submission normally you would get a response from a super mod in my case most of the time it was Banshee.

Banshee would then say the intro is fragmented it needs fixing or it was too short and needed fixing, you get my drift.

That being the case I assume there was some kind of alert button attached to the submission button that notified her there was a new story.

Perhaps they could just put a similar code to the button that would notify all experts on line at the time and then they could send an anonymous u2 to the author suggesting a fix.

Again I have no idea what that would entail as far as coding goes, in fact it may be impossible. I am just throwing it out as a possible suggestion since most if not all members of ATS are concerned about this issue.

Another thought just came to mind and once again I do not know if this is possible, but perhaps the board coding could be changed that would prevent submissions from scrolling off the first board. That way people would see all the submissions. Not that they would vote on them mind you but at least people would see them.

now that is my 2 cents worth, boy am I cheap

top topics

<<   2 >>

join