It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recovering lost files HELP!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Ok, I had two episodes of stargate on my PC but now theyve been deleted! Is there any way I can get them back??? Help please!

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Atomix, did you empty your trashcan since they were deleted?
If not, you can doubleclick your trashcan and move the shows to a safe spot.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It wasn't me who deleted them. T'was me good-for-nothing brother Seamus! (Man, I'm so Irish today) Anyway he thought he'd piss me off and deleted them and now I dont know what to do!!!

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
It wasn't me who deleted them. T'was me good-for-nothing brother Seamus! (Man, I'm so Irish today) Anyway he thought he'd piss me off and deleted them and now I dont know what to do!!!

Again-have you empted your trashcan since this occured?
If not-doubleclick on the trash can-your files will be there-just drag and drop them.
I believe there are programs on the internet that can recover them-even if the trashcan has been empted-I will look 4 one 4 u.

Here is one-and yes it's free:
www3.telus.net...

Here is another free one-trial-
www.snapfiles.com...

Another trial-undelete:
www.diskeeper.com...

Hopefully, one of these will work 4 u.

[edit on 11/20/2005 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Yes the can has been emptied. Ive run searcehes for the files but when it ruterns them and I click on the file it says the location has been changed.:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
If you are SURE that it has been deleted, use your favorite search engine to find an Undelete program.

Most of these have a full demo version that will work for x days, or let you recover up to x amount of files.

Download the program to a floppy if possible.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Nope, it not working. I think the files has been shredded. Anyone know hot to undo McAfee shredder?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You can try a system restore, to restore you computer back to two days before. Be careful though, some things that you might have recently saved you might want to back up.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Like brodband said, your only hope at this point is a backup.

You can't recover files zeroed by disk wiping tools such as McAfee Shredder. Some forensic labs might be able reverse the pattern by which your data was overwritten, but that process would cost you more than the value of the data you're trying to recover. Short answer, your data is lost forever.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
Like brodband said, your only hope at this point is a backup.

You can't recover files zeroed by disk wiping tools such as McAfee Shredder. Some forensic labs might be able reverse the pattern by which your data was overwritten, but that process would cost you more than the value of the data you're trying to recover. Short answer, your data is lost forever.

Agreed 100%. Unless you have a hard backup copy, it's lost. I doubt if a normal (Windows) system restore will work. Sorry.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Thanks anyway guys Ill just download them again. I get like 6000MB per month

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

by brodband:
You can try a system restore, to restore you computer back to two days before

System restore will revert system hardware/software and registry settings back to the saved point, however it will not replace/recover files that have been deleted.

The most feasible and cost-effective approach would be to download the files again, if that's possible.

A good follow-up preventive measure, to avoid future occurences, would be to give Seamus a good thrashing!

[edit on 11/21/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

top topics

join