It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will You Be Made To Work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I was thinking what if bird flu got totally out of control? There are lots of ways this could happen as the virus is a bird one which is apparently why we mammals have no natural immunity. In fact many experts are saying that the only reason why it got anywhere near spreading to humans is because of the close proximity between different animals and humans that exist on many of these cruel Asian animal farms.

So I guess it could mutate quite badly once it gets into people, especially as it seems quite good at mutating already. From the viruses point of view it may make sense to become more deadly once it’s in a city, after all so long as it lives long enough to spread itself around that's all which will keep it in check. I'm currently living in a terrace and could almost swear I’ve caught flu from next door before even when I’ve avoided seeing them because they are ill. Therefore mandatory quarantine might not necessary stop it from spreading, and if it can spread through sewage like SARS did then that’s another containment problem.

I work part time at the supermarket Tesco and if I hear bird flu has hit England there will be no way I’ll be working there as I usually catch enough things from the customers as it is.
So for a start they are going to have trouble feeding people, if anything because of the fear factor.
Who will drive the Lorries around? They say the army will do it. But does England have enough germ proof suits to cloth the people manning the Lorries and enforce the quarantine and run all the other basic services?
Would the authorities ever force essential people work against the threat of death?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
You may as well work. Just take a mask and a gun or knife to protect yourself against any people who've gone crazy. The reason I suggest you work, is so that you can help people and you won't be sitting at home feeling depressed.

Remember, every little helps.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Crazy people now there's a good point, imagine if it turns out riots French style. You must of heard about what happened in Birmingham when there was a rumour of a gang rape by a black against an Asian (or something like that).

Well think about it, say you've got nationwide quarantine (or something similiar) and some pirate radio station makes another outrageous claim, do you think there's a good chance that the ones who aren’t sick could riot? And it needn’t be a race issue. More likely it could as easily to be do with curfew conditions: say rumours that "the authorities are executing people".

Think about it the conditions are there...
1. Boredom
2. Frustration against authority
3. Feelings of nothing to loose (especially if you might die).
4. Desire-genuine need to loot
5. More people listening to doggy pirate radio news
6. About 3 quarters of population still healthy at any given time (maybe more)

Of course it would be disgusting behaviour but if a riot took hold during a bird flu epidemic imagine the effects. For a start most of the police would be of duty (maybe mostly through fear).

So what we need is a really good "pandemic TV schedule" of films (and sport if the English team is not of sick). So let’s hope the Eastenders cast gets given vaccination before the prime minister!!!
But seriously do you think that in today’s society a riot during a pandemic is possible? Surely looting and maybe a few arson attacks?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Of course riots are possible. Look at Katrina, although a completely different kettle of fish, there was nothing being done to help the people stuck in New Orleans which created civil unrest. They then mobilised the police and army, and the only reason there weren't riots (I think) is because the storm did blow over.

Also, there are some pretty scummy areas of the UK and people won't get the proper vaccination or supplies (similar to Katrina) and then they'll complain. People do over react, look at the riots in Birmingham and Paris. It's surprising the terms that people will riot over (rape and accidental death).

Many people don't even fully understand the avian flu threat, and will happily congregate and risk (without realising it) their lives. At first they'll be looting, but it'll get bigger. Hopefully though, the police and army should have gas masks and sort out any civil unrest.

top topics

join