It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Universe itself a computer program?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
whp created the Universe? I mean the WHOLE THING. Like I am not talking about planets and crud. I mean the thing that contains the planets and crud.

I think its got to be a computer program. If it wasn't, Science would be able to explain everything. We would not be "evolving" and we would have created the universe.

Do you get what I am saying? I emphasize the WHOLE UNIVERSE. If you still don't get it think of it this way. Not the water inside the water bottle but the water bottle itself.

I think about this every other day and I need to talk about this.

Have any of you seen that movie, the thirteenth floor, well think of that but the whole universe. There are other humans creating it. Anything unexplained would be glitches in the program.

Does anyone else agree? I need to know.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Im with you here, the universe does bear some resemblance to a computer program. If you look at the laws of physics and chemistry as the parameters that are set before the processes are executed it seems to me like some sort of procedural generation program which is basically a program that builds its self on a set of pre-defined values or parameters.

If you look at our computing power and how fast its increasing it's possible that some time in the future we mabye able to create such a simulation.
With all that power behind our simulated universe its inhabitants would have advanced AI to the point where they would think that they are real.

So if we could do it, its possible other extra-terrestrial intellegence's could do or have done it too and if thats the case how do we know we're not the ones the the computer program?

[edit on 20-11-2005 by Merkeva]

Red

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I think the answer to your question is God. God created everything that is visible and not visible.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
No, God created heaven. Not the Universe. Maybe he did but lets say humans did it.

Okay yes I belive that WE are in the computer program. It would be so complicated but I believe thats why people see UFOs. ITs not aliens its just a glitch in the system.

I mean it doesn't make sense. Like if you can think the way I do, okay I ALWAYS think about this its like someone built the universe and then is observing us and how we evolve.

Diseases like cancer, are viruses. I mean we can't even explain some of the obvious things matter. If we are not in a computer program everything would be able to be explained, we would laready know it.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
God created everything, not just Heaven. Get the facts straight.

As far as it being a computer program, wouldn't that cause it to have a finite set of possible outcomes? Please, understand that I have limited knowledge of computers, but wouldn't the universe being a computer program severely limit it, and, if that be the case, doesn't it make decisions by us totally futile?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Maybe computer programmes merely mimic the mechanics of creation. It is just as likely to be some metaphysical creator/God as it is to be some cosmic geek with too much time on his hands.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Tough concept to sell. The universe being a computer program. How would you explain a comet that strikes the earth? The comet is real and has density to do damage. If it was a program, the only way it would be able to do damage is if we too are part of that program and not real. If this is what you are talking about then I can see your overall picture but even then I would have to disagree.

The universe is infinite and never ending in every given direction possible so I don't believe that it has a maker. Hard to explain somthing that never ends unless you take the easy path of ignorance but that isn't Fact just belief.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
God created everything, not just Heaven. Get the facts straight.

How is that a fact? Or are you just simply talking about the way the story go's in the Bible? (As opposed to God ACTUALLY existing and having creating everything.)

I don't want to begin a religion versus athiesm argument! I was just confused by that comment.

[edit on 20-11-2005 by GeniusSage]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What if like the OP said, we are in a program, but earth and the galaxy around us, we are in, is a database, like a web database that stores information. Now there is not one database but multiple databases, all houseing different galaxys and outcomes. Each database has outcomes it performs. And to jump between the different servers you need need to have access to the circuits. And when you die, your soul is like information, when your time is up you are stored away on a hardrive, and accessed when your needed.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I dont know about a program but did you ever consider this:

Our WHOLE universe is a science student's experiment and our entire universe is actually in a giant beaker. And the student, who's experiment we all belong to, is only getting a "C".

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
LOL.

I saw a program on tv a while ago, and they had this computer program which had this thing moving across the screen, abiding by certain rules in the program. At first it started off really simple, but then they were able to make it move rather complicatedly.

Maybe we're not even physically real....or we're just someone else's thoughts. Like a dream. Except rather long, frustrating and driving itself into despair and gradually total destruction.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It's sad how much of that I follow, merkeva...

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
As far as it being a computer program, wouldn't that cause it to have a finite set of possible outcomes? Please, understand that I have limited knowledge of computers, but wouldn't the universe being a computer program severely limit it, and, if that be the case, doesn't it make decisions by us totally futile?

That's a very good point, TC. The universe is far, far too vast and complex to be a computer program. I'm willing to bet a computer can't physicaly calculate fast enough to do everything the universe does.

Someone's watched the Matrix too many times...

I'd like to add that the fact that science doesn't yet have answers to everything is one of the most compelling argument for it.

[edit on 11/20/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A very interesting article in Wired magazine a couple of years ago posed the same question. You can read this fine article here (Click me).

IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS 0. AND THEN THERE WAS 1. A MIND-BENDING MEDITATION ON THE TRANSCENDENT POWER OF DIGITAL COMPUTATION.

An ultimate simulation needs an ultimate computer, and the new science of digitalism says that the universe itself is the ultimate computer — actually the only computer.

Now remember, while there is a lot of science involved, this is still just a theory. But a very interesting one . If God is the machine,(Which by the way doesn't make him less awesome or powerful) then we are only programs in his system. Basically you're just a thought in the mind of God. Good reading...enjoy.

[edit on 20-11-2005 by dbates]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If you think about it, is quite possible although it follows the same arguments about God's existence. If the universe was created by a computer, it would have to a lot better, faster and stronger than we can possibly conceive. Just like if God did create the universe, he would have to be greater than that which can be conceived.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It is often said that mathematics is the language of science. In terms of everything being formulaically representable, I suppose the universe could be viewed as the "computer" in which the functions are calculated. Perhaps, though, that's just kind of a "shortcut to thinking," to borrow a phrase from Jim Morrison.

Zip

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

A device that computes, especially a programmable electronic machine that performs high-speed mathematical or logical operations or that assembles, stores, correlates, or otherwise processes information.

I got this from here.
The reason I mentioned it, is because the Univere is full of billions of logical operations, the mathematical part is also true, as Zipdot rightly said it's the language of science and in a way logic.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Okay i think of it ike a computer game. Someone is watching and adding little things like comets to see what happens. The videogames that we make are what the "master" of earth and the universe computer program is doing, its just in a way higher level.

Yes this is kind of like the matrix.

Anyway the "shadow government" is like Norton Anti-virus, it makes sure everything is ok like the glitches in the system ( we call the glitch "aliens")

Area 51 is where they keep the "hard drive" or whatever, making earth the center of the Universe. Thats why the United States government is so protective, cause we have the hardrive. Think of our country like Norton Anti-virus or spam blocker. Aliens offered us technology, much like a virus seems to offer music, and then they abducted us, much like a virus invades a computer. see the comparison?

I can't come up with a theory for weather right now but I will.

Once again I would like to emphasize that I think that WE ARE IN THE PROGRAM ALSO.

Edit= zipdot and mashup you have good points.

So does everyone else but lets not get too much into religion. Put religion aside please. There are too many other boring religion threads, lets not make this one of them.

[edit on 11/20/2005 by Conspiracy Theorist06]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If the Universe is just some computer program who created the computer and the Program? Computers just dont make themselves.

The Universe as one giant game of the SIMS is a interesting concept though. Say your a Alien race millions of years more advance then earth if you made a computer program were every A.I in the game was a true self aware A.I (think of the game SIMs again but every sim person is self aware and as smart as any of us.) In a artifical universe that had all the same laws gravity, laws of motion etc.. as the creators universe.

You could in theory run millions of years of the program in hours and any technology that your little Sims created in their little SIM universe would work in your own universe if all the laws were the same. Something like that could give you very unquie technology, art and so much more.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You did it!!!!!! That is what I am trying to say!!!!!!!!! Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Okay somebody whether human or not is creating us so they can see how are technology works!

People think that Aliens gave us technology but we gave them technology! Or we are currently giving them it.

ShadowXIX, I think am going to like you a lot!

At least someone thinks what I think!

mod edit to remove quote of previous post

[edit on 20-11-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
That reminded me of an old artificial life computer program that I used to run - Tierra:

(Source)
Synthetic organisms have been created based on a computer metaphor of
organic life in which CPU time is the ``energy'' resource and memory
is the ``material'' resource. Memory is organized into informational
patterns that exploit CPU time for self-replication. MUTATION
generates new forms, and EVOLUTION proceeds by natural SELECTION as
different GENOTYPEs compete for CPU time and memory space.

Zip

<<   2  3  4 >>

join