It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some help with trying to figure out our technological evelutionary spurt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I've been trying to figure out the past few weeks how it has come to be that within the last (I believe 150years or so)...that we have come so far. If you think about the time when the early settlers have colonized America to the present day locomotives, airplanes, aumotive, and science/technological advances of today. How did we get here??? to this point.
Man has been using the horse drawn carriage for thousands of years. The Romans, Chinese, English are a few that come to mind. Why have they not come up with todays technology?
Who/what has been helping/coaching us? I can't believe that we had gone this far, this fast without it.
I do believe that we are not alone in this unniverse, but if they are here hleping us to achieve galatic travel. Then why not show themselves? Or is it because they are waiting for when we have finally accepted the idea of life other than our own exists?

I'm just trying to figure this little problem out...all thoughts on this are welcomed. And just wait until 70 or so years when all of the oil runs out...good thing about that is I'll 100 years old by then and probably wouldn't have to worry to much longer. Unless they've figured out how to extend human life.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
War. Look at how fast the technology for the battlefield advanced. Then after the war was over, they would find ways to integrate it into the civilian markets.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Truthfuly it came down to finding one or two "spark" inventions that made everything else start falling into place.

Before electricity we had basically hit a wall. There wasnt much more we could do without it. (feasibly)

Learning to harness electricity was a HUGE leap forward in technology. At the time it didnt seem that great but it lead to not only new technology, but a renewed interest in inventing and research.

Past that many of our inventions were simply stumbled on then later seen useful.

Humanity in general is very ingenious, curious, and knowledge/power seeking. This makes us perfect to continue to leap forward at the pace we are today.

Undeniably at times it will slow down as we start hitting a wall. We just have to hope we keep finding the magical brick on the wall to push to knock it over as we have lately.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Yes Xerrog, thats the first line of thinking I took on this matter. But to add to it further its easy to come up with example's to back up this theory, a few examples jumping to mind;

The engine, just think how quick the engine would have been adapted into so many new inventions once it had been developed. It would have changed the world of transport over night, with people coming up with use's for it.

Radio, Once radio had been discovered think of how that would have changed the way to comunicated, and how quickly it would have been adapted.

The electronic calculator, needless to say if that had never been made, I wouldn't be sitting with my £600 worth of calculator sitting on my lap.

This is the line of thinking I took with this.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I could see the point about the invention of electricity...but why didn't the Chinese figure that out first?

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
crack open your favourite electronic components, from today, or the past.

the answers are inside. With a few simple components, many creations have been made.

With better world travel now, great minds are able to meet and work on projects, making bigger and better things.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwalker81570
I could see the point about the invention of electricity...but why didn't the Chinese figure that out first?

Somebody had to be first. Thats not really enough to make me think ' wow, how'd the hell did we get where we are today!? ' with regards to technology atleast

[edit on 19-11-2005 by R1ghteous]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The problem with the electricity theory is that it had been discovered thousands of years ago. Batteries have been found dating hundreds of years BCE and works of apparently electroplated art date back thousands of years BCE. So there was some other catalyst for sudden advancement of technology.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Loungerist,you've got me stumped there. maybe it was just a matter of them 'hitting a brick wall' as previously mentioned. for all they may have found a way of harnesing this electricty they may not have really understood it.

Intresting link about find's defiying technological advances:nasca.org.uk...

[edit on 19-11-2005 by R1ghteous]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loungerist
The problem with the electricity theory is that it had been discovered thousands of years ago. Batteries have been found dating hundreds of years BCE and works of apparently electroplated art date back thousands of years BCE. So there was some other catalyst for sudden advancement of technology.

Thats indeed true since we have found things like the Baghdad batteries but they are of little practical use to power anything. Its like that Greek guy that invented a steam engine thousands of years ago but it was little more then a toy a spinning ball.

Inventing is one thing but bringing out a inventions true potential is another matter.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Thats indeed true since we have found things like the Baghdad batteries but they are of little practical use to power anything. Its like that Greek guy that invented a steam engine thousands of years ago but it was little more then a toy a spinning ball.

Inventing is one thing but bringing out a inventions true potential is another matter.

And therein lies the curiousness of the situation. Electricity was discovered at least thousands of years ago. So if working under the assumption that Man's technological advancement is achieved without outside influence and was primitive during ancient times then it should have linearly gotten better with time and it's growth would be gradual. By all scientific timelines major changes almost always take thousands of years. I think the initial post is asking why/how we've suddenly made thousands of years worth of advancement in a window of less than 200 years' time when that's exponentially faster than any speed previously observed.

Edit:left out important words

[edit on 19-11-2005 by Loungerist]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
There's a BIG difference between DC and AC. Try powering your laptop indefinately with a battery. Also I'm sure they didn't have rechargers back in those days.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by R1ghteous
Loungerist,you've got me stumped there. maybe it was just a matter of them 'hitting a brick wall' as previously mentioned. for all they may have found a way of harnesing this electricty they may not have really understood it.

Intresting link about find's defiying technological advances:nasca.org.uk...

Nice listing. It's evidence like that that make me lean more and more to the idea that we were advanced long ago and are often rediscovering these technologies as opposed to actually discovering them.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwalker81570
I've been trying to figure out the past few weeks how it has come to be that within the last (I believe 150years or so)...that we have come so far. If you think about the time when the early settlers have colonized America to the present day locomotives, airplanes, aumotive, and science/technological advances of today. How did we get here??? to this point.

Windwalker, the Founding Fathers were Masons. They came to America with a vision in mind- a vision of the New Atlantis. They were initiates into an ancient tradition that preserved the memory of a past Golden Age, of a worldwide civilization that had perished in a global cataclysm. That tradition reached back into the myths of the predynastic Egyptians, and included descriptions of complex technologies encoded in studies such as Alchemy (Al-Khmet) and so on. They intended to resurrect that ancient civilization in its original homeland- and, by and large, they have.

Man has been using the horse drawn carriage for thousands of years. The Romans, Chinese, English are a few that come to mind. Why have they not come up with todays technology?

They did. They just didn't develop it very far due to social unrest or Green governance. In the case of the Chinese, the Emperor (The Son of Heaven) passed judgement on technological developments. If he understood a technology to be hazardous to ground dwellers (such as military rocketry), he banned it. You could say he was the original founder of the Green Party

Who/what has been helping/coaching us? I can't believe that we had gone this far, this fast without it.

Study of occult archaeological remains and texts led to the Enlightenment and the Scientific Revolution. It is said that discovery of the Roswell crash site led to the acceleration of elecronics and materials science (see Corso and others), and many people forget that one of the discoveries in New Mexico were said to have been made by an archaeological team. Was it a fresh crash site, or a flashflood washout of an ancient crash site? These helpers may have been our Ancestors- or their 'creators'.

I do believe that we are not alone in this unniverse, but if they are here helping us to achieve galatic travel. Then why not show themselves? Or is it because they are waiting for when we have finally accepted the idea of life other than our own exists?

I am proposing that 'They' may be the fossil remains of our Ancestors.

I'm just trying to figure this little problem out...all thoughts on this are welcomed. And just wait until 70 or so years when all of the oil runs out...good thing about that is I'll 100 years old by then and probably wouldn't have to worry to much longer. Unless they've figured out how to extend human life.

They have. But I don't make that much money

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I had forgotten that the Chinese Emporer had the final say in the matters of his country. I am also trying to understand how it is that Americans have become so blinded by the fact our technology has reached so far so fast.

It maybe true that we had discovered electricity with the help of old Ben Franklin, but if you open up most of todays computers or electronics...what do you see CE (made in China). Yes we may have developed the idea, but who do we send it to, and/or who improves on the idea.

I'm not knowing much on the Free Masons, but I do know that they are a secretive society, and that at the time of Americas colonization...only they new what was to lie ahead of them.
Ever watch the movie National Treasure...that comes to mind (hidden secrets) exist in all o#ries on this planet.

I'm also choosing the Chinese because they too had invented the printing press (if I'm remember right). I also do not know much about the Russians and there advancements either I guess you could blame the Cold War for that. Who could tell me what the larger country is (land Mass wise) I think Russia.

I also am agreeing with the idea of ancient technologies being rediscovered. What is it that the Creator/God has planned for us? Other than to prepare us for what lies in the future.

Off of the topic a little bit here....I had bent two thin wire rods to resymbol a dowsing rod set. Held them in my hands like you are supposed and walked around the house. Half of the time they would cross, and the other times they would remain open, and on occasion they would point me to the location of energy. Am I guiding the rod subconsciously or is the energy in the house really that strong? I know that there are Ley lines all over the Earth, magnetic energy as well. Can a house have such an amount of energy in it? I don't believe that is haunted...except for the time that I felt a ghost cat on the bed, and the presence of a small girl in my bedroom doorway, maybe some other critters that I would see out of the corner of my eyes (always invisible mind you).
Maybe the house just sits on a hot spot? or Vortex?? How could I find out?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I really dont know much about the ancient batteries. So I cant comment.

Our progression in recent history has been quite smooth with only a few "leaps." One of the largest changes is the access to information. Even back in good 'ol' Ben's day his discovery, how he found, and what he thought it was circulated most of this country in a few weeks. In times passed it would not have been circulated so freely or fastly. Thus others would not have chimed in or started working with it.

The ability and willingness of scientists and inventors today to share their knowledge is also a "key" in our moving so quickly. All people around the world are smart, and clever. If they dont have access to the information they need though they must rediscover things that have already been done.

Now today with the internet, jet travel, etc. We are set even better to share that knowledge but in reality it is slowing down as more and more people realize the profits to be had from witholding information. It is sad when you gain massively more ability to learn and teach others but refuse to do it in hopes you will become rich or richer. This problem is showing its head the world over.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
We started developing faster due to various factors.

1. longer periods of Peace
2. coordinated efforts
3. large organized populations i.e. productivity
4. trade
5. improvements on existing technological developments
6. certain key advancements are keys to unlocking a whole list of developments. So once Electricity was widespread it was only a matter of time that it was improved upon and utilized in other methods.
Steam, Gas, Oil, Transportation. It's like once a civilization advances to a certain point, it all happens at a quicker pace.
7. Industrialization had a huge roll in how fast we were able develop also, so the manufacturing process lead to creating different materials to do the same task better, chemistry, science in general.
8. If we had lost keys wars or large scale destruction had taken place we would still be using horses and carriages and foot travel to get around. An industrialized society is what it's all about...

That's why it is not impossible to me to imagine another advanced species other than ourselves in existence somewhere else in the universe. It's a logical process to the path of technological advancement, and if the species has the capacity for ingenuity it's just a matter of time before the logical process of learning from past knowledge takes place. So we HAD to eventually advance, our capacity for technological advancement is just a logical process of taking steps forward and improving, enhancing existing technology.

The Computer our most utilized tool sped up technological advancement a thousand fold, by allowing us to simulate our environment, and virtually run experiments at a much faster rate that in reality also, calculations can be performed at an exponetial rate to come to conclusions tens of times faster about theoroies, and hypothetical situations.

Wheel = Better Wheel = Better Wheel = Better Wheel etc...

It's rather simple once you examine history. Look at the Scientists from the past.

Einstein
Galleleo
The wright bros.
Leanardo Da Vinci
The list goes on.
These people had break thru ideas and contributed to what we have today. Someone was always going to do these things, it just happened to be them.

I'm sure there is an Alien Equivalent of Einstein out there somewhere...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
The answer to your mystery is the printing press. Mankind became free of the need to constantly re-invent everything from generation to generation. As printing spread, so did scientific & technological progress. Further the vast increase in humanity itself had more than a little to do with it. Knowledge feeds upon itself if it is shared. If one looked at a simple graph showing the total sum of man's knowledge ever since the beginning, one would see that it took a considerable period of time for man's knowledge to first double. The second doubling however, took less than half as long, and the third doubling took still less time. If one extends that graph to the present time, one will see that the total knowledge of man doubles now about every three years and the rate of increase is still accelerating. Project that graph into the future (assuming man will continue on his present course) and it shows that the total sum of man's knowledge in about 40 years will be over 1000 times what it is currently, and in 100 years it would almost be infinite. If you doubt what I'm telling you, Google up the subject and see for yourself.

[edit on 21-11-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Technological Spurt?

Nikola Tesla

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Nikola Tesla was indeed a true genius, right up there with the likes of Newton & Einstein--damn shame he didn't leave more written material behind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join