It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing and Language today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Will the writing of today be as great as the literature many years ago? In the future will we be studying the works of today? Today, in school, it seems that people have dumbed down English. Using abbreviations and slang terms that take away for eloquent word usage. I am a student, and I still wonder why we look so far back to see proper English. Is it because that was the only time when it was spoke correctly?

Does any one have comments?

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Of course there are thousands of books from modern times that will go down in the annals as works of literature – The absence of brilliant minds transcribing their thoughts to paper is a point which we have yet to reach, and I doubt we ever shall…

More at hand...

Languages evolve over time & English is no different

Idioms, metonymies, phrases, analogies, metaphors, slang….They all have temporal and geological boundaries….With an appropriate degree of linguistic observation over the years, you can actually trace the change, along with its cultural significance…

As much as some people regretfully despise Ebonics (and those who speak it), it is a formal language – There are people who devote their life’s work to studying and analyzing the unique characteristics of that particular dialect….

And it’s not just English that has these sudden and unwelcome changes…But over time we do learn to accept and incorporate them into our vocabulary…

The language a society uses is often a direct reflection of socio-economic status….Some societies like the Hindu even have very distinct and separate languages that are indicators from the moment someone opens their mouth as to where they come from and what cast they belong to…

It’s not a flaw in English, but in the people who speak it….If we want to change the way we speak, we have to change the way we think and act as a society…

But blaming the victims of inequality and misfortune is not a step towards resolution…

[edit on 11/28/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

join