It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trace a Nextel Text Message?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Does anyone know if there is a way to find out where a Nextel text message is coming from without relying on Nextel? They are not very helpful and have no sense of urgency.

I have had a unit turned in at work that was a direct connect only (though there is always a phone number attached to the unit for text messaging), and began receiving messages a few weeks ago. They have become disturbing (it was issued to a young woman).

Of course we could change the phone number attached to the unit, but I want to confirm first that this is some sort of bizarre spam, as oppossed to coming from someone local who may actually know this woman, since if it is from someone who may actually know her, she may be in danger (being stalked). I really don't think we can wait 30 days for Nextel to get back to us on this.

I activated two-way messaging on it in the hopes that it would help us see where it was coming from, but it's not showing anything identifiable.

The messages started out with just benign quotes, but now have taken a sexual tone and are coming in more frequently, at any and all hours of the day & night. I really need some way to confirm they are not coming from someone who may actually know her.

Any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
This may sound funny coming from me, but have you considered contacted the federal authorities?
It is my understanding that since phone service(s) are interstate-they are federally regulated.
Once something is a federal matter you can try contacting something like the FBI.
Show them the messages as well as indicating the young woman feels her safety/life is being threatened.
Once they are convinced that she IS being threatened, they can ask Nextel to move or move more rapidly.
It would also allow the FBI to sapina the records if Nextel was not forthcoming in help.

I have another question-being i don't have text messaging-can you/have you/her tryed responding to any messages like, stop harrassing me and such?
On my cell phone, i can see what number is calling me-does this also happen in text messaging.
If it does, you can try doing a "reverse lookup" of the phone number online.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It would be premature to contact the authorities till there is an actual threat or evidence that these messages are coming from someone who actually knows this girl.

Apparently text messaging is like email in that you can choose not to identify yourself. In fact it can come from any other phone or an email account.

I hesitate to respond to the messages in case it encourages further unwanted contact. I have considered a response something to the effect that I think you have the wrong number, but I wouldn't want to make a call on the advisability of that (the only purpose would be to see if the person might admit they know who they are sending them to). Unless someone with experience in these things tells me it's a good move, I'm not going there.

The problem is this girl is a pretty tough cookie and is trying not to make a big deal over this, so I don't want to frighten her for no reason. That is why I am trying to confirm the situation as quickly as possible, because of course if she needs to be concerned there are some things that we and she has to do to keep her safe.

This is just such a limbo area at the moment.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Okay, I am monitoring the unit this weekend and the messages have gone from maybe once a week, again with very benign but odd quotes to two times a day with what I can only describe (without violating T & C) as sexual instruction. Bear in mind, these messages have received no response whatsoever to encourage further contact.

I am seriously considering sending a message back that says I think you have the wrong number to see if it stops or there is any type of admission (assurance?) that the person knows who they are sending them to.

Any opinions?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I worked for a publishing Co. and encountered a huge problem also. If you think these are threatening in any way, the people to call are the secret service. They will be more than happy to help trace this call. They will contact Nextel, and believe me, they wont get a hard time from them.

They cracked my case immediately and prosecuted. They also sent me an honorary membership to the New York secret service, along with secret service hat, medals and honorary badge!

Then- they consulted me as to what punishment i wanted for the people!

Give it a try.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It's fine! She's okay!

I was able to trace the messages to a media site that offered various subscriptions. Someone must have accidentally entered her phone number for a subscription to a service that actually sends out messages on how to keep your man interested.
( I can't believe people pay for this stuff.)

I'm not quite sure how this could have happened since it appears you have to authenticate your phone with them and this phone did not have internet capabilities, but some idiot is paying to receive these messages and not getting them.

I can't wait to tell her. She's going to be so relieved (as are her supervisors who were really getting worried about this).

Hey - a happy ending!

top topics

join