It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.S: Skeptic Overview 15: Freedom of Speech?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

PODcast: Skeptic Overview 15: Freedom of Speech?
Skeptic Overview 15 brings all the usual coverage of ATS podcasting and interesting threads. Also, some new information about a new category of membership that may very well attract some quality content. And, a special comment on Freedom of Speech on ATS.

length: 41:43
file: atsspod_930.mp3
size: 17029k
feed: atss

More attempts to refine the workflow resulting in less-than-optimum audio quality. An attempt to stream raw audio to an external drive brought on some subtle pops and skips.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hey man, great podcast.
The SO overviews are always something I look forward to. One quick correction though, if you will: I think our member xu and BH's podcast of "Since You Left Me" was the first collaborative music podcast. xu took the previous BH solo vocal she uploaded, and proceeded to come up with a very different and unique, hip hop style tune from a blues vocal. Big points on originality, although I don't think BH's original intent with the lyrics was preserved. Interesting though, nonetheless!

This piece is located Here in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In regards to the Sony rootkit issue, I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I agree that they need to protect their investments, but on the other hand I think that installing a rootkit to prevent it, and thus opening up a perfect cover for trojans on a user's computer, is going too far. But how they could overlook something as simple as including a credit for open source code is beyond me. Does this all boil down to it being Sony's responsibility? Or is it the responsibility of Sony's software suppliers, to which Sony bought the rights?

Another analogy to this is if for example, say Microsoft hired a software development firm to produce a product, and the developer used some open source code without providing a credit. Who's responsibility is it to insure that credit is given where credit is due? If you bought a CD and used some of it's content on a project, and the CD did not include proper credits, can the uncredited sue you too because you did not provide proper credit?

Well, whatever the answers are, one thing is for sure: I applaud your efforts SO to watchout for copyright protection in regards to ATS and it's material. And actually I have been wondering how far we are going to get with the whole music podcasting thing and copyright issues. Because as you know, the amount of work, equipment and investment involved in making some of these music podcasts, such as "Sweet Touch," which you so graciously included in your podcast (thanks), will far exceed the more simple work of your average, casual "post."

So on that note, what is actually reasonable? And how long are we going to be able to do this without someone like the RIAA or ASCAP/BMI/SESAC become involved, and especially if this place achieves a huge amount of public exposure from something like the TV show? It's just a matter of time IMO before someone important in these fields takes notice, checks, and then acts. Best to cover this at the onset to avoid future problems, don't you think?

And here is the problem: take my case for example- I own and run a studio, and am a member of BMI from both a writer and publisher standpoint. I love ats, and love to provide the music for the members for free, but I guarantee you BMI/ASCAP/SESAC will not see it that way. The only workable solution at the moment for me is to only upload works I have done that I have not submitted to BMI and are thus NOT on their list, so as to protect you and the site from having to start paying dues to the performance rights societies for using and distributing copyrighted works for which they are responsible for collecting royalties on.

I think that further discussions on this issue are needed and I do have some suggestions.

On another note, that email you read from the member who so self-empowerdly decided to threaten ats
over ats deleting a post had it coming! Great comments SO, and I think other new members need to remember that this is a privately owned site and is not subject to "freedom of speech" whatsoever, and any post or upload here remains or is removed at ats's sole discretion.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
WOW!

Three things knocked my socks off. Well, they shouldn't have, and they are the least I expect from the world's premier conspiracy site.
But they did anyway.

1. The Conspiracy Expert level for published conspiracy theorists, and the Expert Forum where only CE's can post.

It's a DYNAMITE idea. I won't qualify unless you accept my posts here as "published," but whatever. It's a GREAT idea.

2. Your notice that you're going to be copyrighting ATS stuff with the Creative Commons.

BRAVO! Another incredible step.

3. Your (SO's) little rant about ATS, the Internet, and collaboration. Quote:

"Internet culture evolved as collaboration. It's about the ethics of sharing, the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. It's not about YOU - or you broadcasting your ideas."

I should say - SO was responding to someone who went too far, then complained when their post was deleted, and claimed the right of free speech. He explained that ATS is privately owned, with its own rules and regs, then took it further to talk about the big picture (as quoted above).

...All in all, a great Overview. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Hey! I have friends!

SO, are you kidding about Vallhall's and Parrhesia's name for their show? Sorry I can't tell. Anyway, it's A - T - S - Trogen (estrogen). Maybe you have to be a woman to get it?

Just a note on the collaborative music efforts, although xu's and True American's version of my song are 180 degrees out, I absolutely love them both. The creativity exhibited by xu's version just amazes me. It's like a Far Eastern Techno version.
I really love the synth work. It's hot!

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Big points on originality, although I don't think BH's original intent with the lyrics was preserved.

Really? I was surprised to find that all the lyrics in xu's version are indeed there and in order, and I thought the feelings of loneliness and longing were definitely there, if differently presented. A very different feel, though, for sure.

Thanks for the great info, SO. I always look forward to your overviews!

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I look forward to these overviews by SO . They lead me to look at threads in forums that I don't normally frequent.

The "upfront" outlooks on present or future problems and ideas about dealing with them are very informative and interesting.

Humor presentations of various well-known posters taken out of context gets me giggling.

I loved the rendition of Benevolent Heretic's "Since you Left Me" that SO presented in his podcast. Did TrueAmerican write the blues music for that? I'm sorry if I'm mixed up but I really loved the lyrics and the music. Where can I hear the entire piece?

SO overviews are wonderful Friday night entertainment.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree
I loved the rendition of Benevolent Heretic's "Since you Left Me" that SO presented in his podcast. Did TrueAmerican write the blues music for that? I'm sorry if I'm mixed up but I really loved the lyrics and the music. Where can I hear the entire piece?

Here's True American's version:

Yes, TA did all the music for that version. He played all the instruments, too. Read more about it in the thread.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
May I say it is difficult concentrating on what you are saying as your voice almost puts me in a trance..Keep these coming...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
INTENTIONAL!

ATStrogen was attacked tonight because SO knows we'll swamp him in the ratings.

DIRTY POOL!

For informative and un-gonadinally corrupted podcasting...stay tuned!

www.thedivinesibyl.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Here's True American's version:

Yes, TA did all the music for that version. He played all the instruments, too. Read more about it in the thread.

Now THAT'S what I heard in my head the first time I listened to BH's midi version...
A full on "BIG Blues Band" brass and and all.

T.A. nailed it with accompaniment! And those vocals, man those ARE vocals...

Springer...

P.S. YES S.O. is teasing with his pronunciation, that's his way of promoting something he FEARS...
(me too)

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
. I actually got a kick out of this PODcast after hearing that email. That had to have been one of the funniest things I have heard yet on ATS. Wow, scrutinizing, that we are infriging on your freedom of speech? Welcome to the real world, some things arent fair. If I were to go up to the chief of the police force and say "hey can you tell me if this co....drug is legal"? Thats like saying, I dont expect you to throw me in jail for this one.

Hey! Ill talk about nazis if I want!

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
SO, your podcasts are getting longer

Great Overview, i look forward to the next installment.

--Kit.

new topics

top topics

join