It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flaw in new Wildchill table?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
In 2001 the NWS released a new windchill table. The claim was that they have come up with a more accurate way to measure windchill. That is a rough way of wording it. Here is a story about the change.

www.usatoday.com...

The claim would appear to be scientific in nature. I believe however it is to alter peoples perception of how cold it is. So you can think back to the good old days when you used to have -70 windchills and how now because of global warming you only get -40. I think that was the real reason for the change.

Before the change if the temperature was 30 degrees and you had a 20mph wind the reported windchill was 4 degrees F. Under the new table the windchill would be 17. I have experienced 30F with a 20mph wind. I have experienced 17F with no wind. I guarantee you the two do not feel the same. I have experienced 0F with no wind and I promise you the 30F with 20mph wind feels closer to 0F than it does 17F. Zero F is cold. You can handle it with no wind. 30F with no wind is fine as well. But when the wind is blowing at 20mph the cold is painful. There is no reason for me to believe the change was anything but political in nature.

Your thoughts?

new topics

join