It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officer shot and killed in the UK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This probably wont shock any non uk residents but its reasonabley unusal in England.

Armed robbers in Bradford have shot a female police officer dead and badly wounded another.

news.bbc.co.uk...

As armed officers close off roads in an attempt to catch the murderers the argument for standard police 'beat' officers to be issued with firearms is surley going to be raised again?

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well I wouldn't be surprised if this was a set up.
Isn't it odd that when the gov wants badly to change a law or go to war something just happens that they can use to justify to the public the need to do this?

Lot's of examples of that in the past...

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

well...i suppose its a possibility but doubtfull in my opnion....i have a friend thats a female beat officer...i asked her if she would like to be armed?...given the choice she said no....her thinking was that if the police are armed the criminals would carry guns as a rule.....simpley to edge their bets.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Yeah but it's not the cops themselves that want to be armed, it's their bosses and the government that wants it.

I'm not saying it WAS a set up, just wouldn't be surprised and the timing is very suspect to me.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Do you ever think that governments just maybe want to pass laws to prevent incidents like the ones they are warning about from happening? No of course you don't, its all a part of their evil scheme.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Do you ever think that governments just maybe want to pass laws to prevent incidents like the ones they are warning about from happening? No of course you don't, its all a part of their evil scheme.

Well I guess you don't share my soft spot for the government eh?

I don't trust a single thing they do. I will never trust a single thing they do. I will always question everything they do.
Because if I, or you, don't then we might as well get front seat tickets to the loss of what's left of our freedom, which isn't a lot.

Anyway if you think the government is not evil then you are either one of them, or you're not quit awake yet.

Why don't we just arm everyone to the teeth, you know just in case?

Violence breeds violence, reacting to violence with violence just creates more...well violence.

I've had first hand experience with the British boot boys...er I mean constabulary, I'd shudder to think what they'd be like with guns.

[edit on 19/11/2005 by ANOK]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
UK government took away the citizen's right to bear arms, now only the criminals have guns - and violent crime is skyrocketing compared to the U.S. where the violent crime rate is down - especially in states that have enacted concealed carry laws (hint: the criminals don't know what their potential victims might be carrying, so they think twice about doing the crime). Not so in the UK and Australia, where unarmed police are suposed to protect everyone. There, the criminals can be assured that their victims are defenseless.

UK, Australia (and Canada) - what utter fools ...

[edit on 11/19/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Man, if only the U.S. had such a low incidence of police homicides...

I was at the HPD city jail not too long ago and there is a plaque on the wall there with a badge for every officer killed in the line of duty in Houston since the 1960's. I think there were about 2.5 dozen or so.

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked, it's about 1 per year just in the city of Houston, not including the greater Houston area. I'd guess, including the greater Houston area, it'd probably average out to about 2 per year.

EDIT 2: This quote from the Officer Down Memorial Page concerns the U.S. as a whole:

There have been 131 line-of-duty deaths in 2005 and 17,810 total.

EDIT 3: Man, in fact, we had an officer shot to death just yesterday while greeting a motorist during a routine traffic stop in California...

Zip

[edit on 11/19/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sorry but trying to use this to make the "sky rocketing" claim is just not true.

36 officers murdered in England, Scotland and Wales since 1985

news.bbc.co.uk...

- How does our 20yr record compare with a single year in any of the USA's 10 largest cities?

Our news reports are also saying fewer Police officers have been shot this year compared to last.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Comparing the US to the UK in this instance is not appropriate. The US attitude to weapons is completely different to ours. While the amount of police killed is low, the number of weapons on the street is at an all-time high. Drug crime is increasing exponentially (?sp), which in itself attracts the use of firearms.

All it takes is for a police constable to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and they are dead. These people already carry weapons to defend themselves against each other. The police carrying weapons and wearing decent body armour as standard will not increase this, it will simply improve the chances of them surviving if they encounter these scum.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Isn't it odd that when the gov wants badly to change a law or go to war something just happens that they can use to justify to the public the need to do this?

Lot's of examples of that in the past...

So you're saying that the government set up an incident whereby a police officer was shot and killed? I'd ease off on the paranoia pills mate. There are easier ways to improve their public image than by knocking off members of the local constabulary.

PS sorry about the double post

[edit on 19-11-2005 by PaddyInf]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
So you're saying that the government set up an incident whereby a police officer was shot and killed? I'd ease off on the paranoia pills mate.

Hey man history is full of such events. Why not this one?

And pls no more pill coments, it is not paranoid to question every posibilty.
Isn't that what ATS is all about?
Maybe YOU should quit the sleeping pills mate.

Did I claim that's what happend, no? I merely suggested it.

And what do you mean by public image? I thought this was about arming the police not improving their image?

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The poster who claims conspiracy has his facts totally upside down.
The UK government does not want to see the Police Force armed, nor do the vast majority of the UK public.
Within the Police Force itself, there seems to be a 50/50 split over the issue, but the police themselves are by far the biggest advocate of armed officers.

Interesting statistics:
In the past 20 years, 36 police officers have been murdered (excluding NI).

3 were beaten
10 were stabbed
11 were shot
12 were run over by a motor vehicle

As the majority of police who were murdered were done so by motor vehicles, is it not now the time to outlaw the car?
Of course not. Policing is no more fatal this year than it has been in the past 20. Take a look at statistics going even further back and you will see that nothing much has changed.

www.policememorial.org.uk...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Comparing the US police homicide count to the UK’s by numbers only is not accurate, we have more people and more police. If someone would finde me percentages of police killed in both countries it would be a more valid statistic.

[edit on 19-11-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Mate, I doubt it was a 'set-up'. I've been held at gun-point which is unusal in this country in some of these ghetto areas that are becoming more common in this country. There are a lot of lunatics over here and they thrive here because we are actually a soft touch, our 'system' is actually a joke. Trust me I am speaking about this first hand. It is ridiculous. I've known of people being stabbed, shot killed etc. It happens even in our relatively 'quiet' town. It just doesn't make the news very often because we like to put across this image of having an iron fist when we don't.

And it was on the news again today about arming the police and even though I think they should apparantly (as someone else pointed out) the PTB don't.

[edit on 19-11-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Comparing the US police homicide count to the UK’s by numbers only is not accurate, we have more people and more police. If someone would fide me percentages of police killed in both counties it would be a more valid statistic.

The US has roughly 5 times the population of the UK.
This means that for the same 20 year period, the US would have had to have lost 5x36 officers to be comparable. That equals 180 officers.

I can't find a 20 year figure but in a ten year span, 1988 to 1997, 633 law enforcement officers were killed by firearms alone in America. Rather more than 90 if the UK figures are comparable. And far more if we remember that the US figure is for firearms alone.

[edit on 19-11-2005 by Leveller]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
The US has roughly 5 times the population of the UK.
This means that for the same 20 year period, the US would have had to have lost 5x36 officers to be comparable. That equals 180 officers.

I believe, might be wrong but I always thought there were more cops per person in the UK than the US.
At least it seemed like that (I've lived on both countries)...

I know the general public in the UK don't want armed cops. That's usually the reason things like this are staged, to change the mind of the public.

If the gov doesn't want it and the cops are 50/50 then who IS pushing for it.
I was under the impression someone was.

If not then yes there's no conspiracy. Blahhh!!! But I want it to be, I want it to be!! I want it to be!! Booohooo!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Anok, have you actually READ the article? What in it makes you think that it was "staged?"

Zip

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
How many more times, I didn't say I THINK it was staged. I just offered it as a posibility. It's nothing to do with the article but just that this wouldn't be a new tactic if it was the case.
And there's nothing in the article that points to it NOT being staged, is there? So I don't really see your point.

With all that's going on now and the powers that be trying to instill ever more "security", it just wouldn't surprise me if it was staged or was a set up, that's really all I said in the first place. I'm not saying the cop wasn't killed.

Why is there so many people on a conspiracy forum who get upset when someone mentions the posibility of a conspiracy

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
My heart goes out to this brave womens childern

I see though she was shot in the chest and was wearing body armour that did not stop the bullet. I couldnt find any mention of the type of firearm used but if it was a hand gun or shotgun whats up why didnt the vest defeat the round?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join