It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Troops assist Border Patrol in New Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
US troops from Ft. Lewis, Washington, have been patrolling the New Mexico/Mexico border along with the US Border Patrol. The troops were there soley to observe and report, leaving apprehension and arrest duties to the Border Patrol. This is a step that has been long overdue, especially since the open border is an inviting path for terrorists that may want to bring nuclear or biological weapons to the US.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
Border Patrol: Border mission with troops a success

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

COLUMBUS, N.M. -- The Border Patrol says a monthlong mission with troops from Fort Lewis, Wash., doing round-the-clock reconnaissance along the border was a success in helping deter people coming into the country illegally from Mexico.

The presence of the soldiers helped turn back about 1,000 would-be border crossers and moved others away from the mission's patrol area between Columbus and Hachita, Rick Moody, agent in charge of the Border Patrol's Deming station, said Tuesday.

The mission began in mid-October and is ending this week. Hundreds of soldiers from the Army's 1st Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment from Fort Lewis helped catch 1,922 people who crossed the border illegally and seized more than 1,000 pounds of marijuana, Moody said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

By most accounts, the operation has been successful. The troops generally have far better surveillance equipment than the Border Patrol does. A side benefit to the joint operation is that the troops gain valuable night training in an area that approximates the geography of Iraq and Afghanistan.

This is the first time I have heard of the US military being on the border. I must say, it's hard to hide several hundred troops with Strykers and all the rest of their gear for a month. It brings up the question: why hasn't this been covered in the media prior to now? It certainly seems to be an important story.

Our southern border is much too open. Hopefully, joint exercises such as this one can be used as a model for the other southern states.[edit on 18-11-2005 by jsobecky]

[edit on 18-11-2005 by jsobecky]

[edit on 24-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
It is about time. You know I have no problem with people going through proper channels ( visa -> greencard -> naturalization ) but I have a big problem with illegal aliens entering the country.

Additionally I think that birthright citizenship is wrong. Illegals come to this country and pump out children like they were going out of style. It seems like every other female I see in largely hispanic neighborhoods (where illegals are known to be living) is pregnant with a whole litter of children in tow. All of these children born here of illegal alien parents is guaranteed citizenship. Hmm... I if this wasn't the case (birth right citizenship) then Bruce Lee wouldn't have been a citizen... oh well.

You know a factor in all of this is that there are many businesses willing to hire these people, illegally, to perform work often at below the fedral minimum wage. The fedral minimum wage is both a blessing and a curse. If there wasn't a fedral minimum wage then business could hire citizens to perform the work, but at the same time the fedral minimum wage prevents businesses from paying people significantly below the poverty level (although in many areas even if you have two jobs earning minimum wage you are below the poverty level of the area).

Ooof. What can be done about this?

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Anchor babies is what they are called. If they are born here, they are awarded citizen status. I thought that this was being reviewed in the House and Senate to evaluate if it is needed any more.

Funny you mention corporations using illegals - Wal-Mart just got busted for using 125 illegals to build a new store in (I think) Pennsylvania.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
[ why isn't quoting working ? !!! ]

A MallWart, err, Wallmart location in construction may have been raided by 'la migra' resulting in 125 deportations, but Wallmart itself is not in any hot water... I can just hear them now... "huh? Illegals? We just hired a contractor to build this place, we don't micro manage their operation".

The contractor ( his/her business ) folds, starts a new one... viola, no significant long term reprocussions.

Speaking of anchor babies, since they are citizens and their parents don't officially have jobs, doesn't that qualify them for welfare and other government ( tax payer ) sponsored programs?

[edit on 2005/11/18 by McGrude]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Good Story but the intro does not meet current guidlines and needs to be fixed.

Introduction Paragraph
When you use the ATSNN submission form, the first paragraph must be ONE properly formatted full paragraph of your own words. This is the content seen on the front-page of the ATSNN website. If the format is incorrect, you've only submitted one or two short sentences,
or you've copied material from the story, your submission will not be upgraded. www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 11/18/2005 by shots]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
How in the world did this go on for a month without being reported in the MSM? I've even seen Bill Richardson (NM governor) on TV discussing the borders recently, and he made no mention of it. Is it that Rove-Gate, or whether WMD intel was massaged 4 years ago, or if Harriet Miers was qualified to be a SC appointee, was so much more interesting? Beats me.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
MSM did carry it for one or two days, but never really made an issue out of it since the military was not being used other then to watch for illegals.

As I understood it they were to go to Iraq and used this as a training exercise at the same time while helping the border patrol spot them. They did not actually stop or detain anyone they left that up the the border patrol.

Some of the activist groups tried to make a big deal out of it, but the press ignored their cries of foul, because the military was not detaing them.

[edit on 11/19/2005 by shots]

new topics

top topics

join