It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK police guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
i am curious what guns do the armed response police
use here in the UK?
because when they are on the news occasionly they seem to have diffrent gear

[edit on 18-11-2005 by bodrul]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
That gun is HK's G36C a very fine gun indeed. G36K's and C's are fairly common in UK Police forces

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Whats the difference between the G36K and the G36C versions?

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
G36K

G36C

only a few diffrences

[edit on 18-11-2005 by bodrul]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The only real difference is the barrel length. The G36K (Kurz=short) has a 320mm (12.52") barrel and the G36C (Compact) has a 228mm (8.98") barrel. All the accessories, the type of sighting, the rails and such can be ordered independently nowadays.

The British police also uses MP5s in various forms (even in semi-automatic).

M6D

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Id just like to say i find it quite funny how our police force actually gets somewhat better guns then our bloody army :p

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Well, They use MP-5 for sure... but more than that... No idea...
sorry...

[edit on 19-11-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Different forces use different weapons. Some use MP5s, some use G36s, some even use HK53s. Police weapons are required to be semi-auto for legal reasons, i.e. the proportional force rule. This is due to the relatively low chance of facing someone armed with automatic weapons. The only exception is the PSNI, where the chances of facing automatic weapons is quite high, so arming the police with automatic weapons is seen as proportional. They are armed with MP5s and HK33s.

As for pistols, the mainstay for the UK is the Glock 17. Some forces also arm themselves with SIGs, e.g. Northumbria, or Walther P99s.

[edit on 19-11-2005 by PaddyInf]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I don't want to stray off topic too much, but has anyone else noticed that practically everytime you see the Police on the news here in the UK now they always seem to be armed? I know this is due to the terrorism but it seems a little odd almost - like they are getting people used to seeing armed police everywhere.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
I don't want to stray off topic too much, but has anyone else noticed that practically everytime you see the Police on the news here in the UK now they always seem to be armed? I know this is due to the terrorism but it seems a little odd almost - like they are getting people used to seeing armed police everywhere.

Yea, seems like a good idea to me, particularly when you see last nights news re. those 2 WPCs that got shot (1 dead, the other badly wounded). Seems to me that as gun crimes increase, so should the number of armed police units. An ARV is not always available when required.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Very true... I can't say the police being armed is something that bothers me specifically, but I know it is a concern to some people.
As long as they are trained properly then it's a great idea, this country needs some proper law and order, things are getting silly and out of control. People need to know that they can't keep pushing others around all the time. I won't even go out in my own town at night.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
They even use Steyr AUGs, maybe SAR 21s?, and i even heared they sometimes use Barett M-82s!. There was also a police version of the Sterling SMG with an extended barrel.

What else will they come up with?, Police SA-80s with black grips n stuff.

www.urban-armory.com...

www.bullpupgunstocks.com...

www.securityarms.com...

www.gunsamerica.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
They even use Steyr AUGs, maybe SAR 21s?, and i even heared they sometimes use Barett M-82s!. There was also a police version of the Sterling SMG with an extended barrel.

What else will they come up with?, Police SA-80s with black grips n stuff.

Barrett - bit of an overkill for any police sniper situation, I think.

As for police SA80s, I don't see the point really. There are much more suitable/lighter/cheaper options available that have more accessories available and are better for the job at hand (e.g. the G36 series).

The Sterling was way back in ye olde days, when police weapons tended to be re-worked versions of what the army of the day used. Thank god this is no longer the case. The powers that be have finally realised that the roles of the police and that of the army are very different.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Yea, seems like a good idea to me, particularly when you see last nights news re. those 2 WPCs that got shot (1 dead, the other badly wounded). Seems to me that as gun crimes increase, so should the number of armed police units. An ARV is not always available when required.

I would hate to see all UK police with guns, hundreds more innocent lives would be lost to incompotent/corrupt police officers. Look how that Brazilian guy was held to the floor and shot 5 times when it was clear he was no threat...

Give the police guns, and more criminals will get guns, then more non criminals (like myself) would get guns to defend from the police and other criminals...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I don't want to stray off topic too much, but has anyone else noticed that practically everytime you see the Police on the news here in the UK now they always seem to be armed? ...

I´d say the main reason for this is that many of the events reported by the media are potential targets for protesters, terrorists or "misled criminals" as the BBC puts it. And hence it seems that the police is more armed these days than they actually are.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Every UK force is different. Where I live the favourites are the H&K 9mm MP5A3 which is altered for single shot use only. Side arm of choice is Browning, although I couldn't tell you what model (not a Five-SeveN though). Marksmen (not "Sniper", kids) use HK93's

The MOD Police used to use SA80's. They've now made the swap to H&K 9mm MP7's for some unknown reason. Cost probably.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FactoryLad
The MOD Police used to use SA80's. They've now made the swap to H&K 9mm MP7's for some unknown reason. Cost probably.

Aye, makes me laugh. The Mod Plod are one of the few police forces to have never had to actually shoot anyone, yet they get a huge amount of funding to upgrade their firepower. Takes all sorts.

As for the "lets arm the police" debate, I am probably looking at things from a different angle than most of the other brits here. I come from an area where all police have been armed for many years. Here there have been very few instances where the police have been unjustified in their use of firearms. The arming of the police in Ulster has taken place with no real problems. I think that this could be made nationwide with few long-term difficulties.

Contrary to popular belief, the police are, in the main part, a very professional force. Putting a weapon in their hands will not make them into a bunch of gun-crazy lunatics with a taste for human sacrifice. I'd rather give them the option of self-defence than have the Nanny State leave them with nothing but a glorified club and some OC spray when some yardie sticks a shotgun up their nose.

BTW the HK MP7 is not 9mm, it is 4.6 x 30. Hate to be picky, just thought I'd point it out.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Not sure but is the MOD Police SA80 military issue or is it single shot ? I think one reason for the MP7 replacement was to get rid of the 2 weapon types (pistol and SA80) although im sure the MOD Operational Support Unit must use a variety of types of weapons for their varied operational roles.Im sure the SA80 is just too big and powerful for the type of uses the MOD Police require ie range as they dont require an infantry weapon but something a lot less big.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

BTW the HK MP7 is not 9mm, it is 4.6 x 30. Hate to be picky, just thought I'd point it out.

Eeeek!

*bows down to the all knowing god of ammunition*

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Eeeek!

*bows down to the all knowing god of ammunition*

Cheeky monkey.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join