It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Site Raided for Immigration Violations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Federal, state and local authorities have raided a Wal-Mart construction site in Pennsylvania arresting nearly 125 people on immigration violations. Two years ago, 61 Wal-Mart stores were raided for immigrations violations as well.

money.cnn.com
A raid by federal, state and local authorities at a Wal-Mart Stores construction site in Pennsylvania netted about 125 arrests for alleged immigration violations.

Schuylkill County Capt. Dennis Kane confirmed the raid to CNN. USA Today reported that the workers were working on a million-square-foot distribution center in eastern Pennsylvania.

Kane said immigrants who were arrested were taken to nearby Philadelphia. The county police worked in conjunction with Pennsylvania state police and federal immigration agents, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I've never been a fan of Wal-Mart. They are America's #1 reason that our trade deficit is so high as 95% of what they sell is imported; a lot of their employees are on federally funded insurance, meaning taxpayers have to pay their employee's medical bills; they will close down entire locations, as they did in Canada, to avoid employee unions; they will lose money on certain products for the sole reason of putting other local stores, including mom and pop stores, out of business, then they will raise the price of said item to more than what the other store was charging for it.

Additionally, as I have received this information from someone that worked deep inside Wal-Mart, 20% of what is purchased there has to be returned because it malfunctions, employees often mishandle merchandise, causing more damage, and products are often on the shelves for many months until they are sold, even though they may be out of date.

So, I feel no pain for Wal-Mart.

Related News Links:
seattlepi.nwsource.com
www.usatoday.com
www.miami.com

[edit on 18-11-2005 by elderban]

[edit on 24-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You have totally ignored the heart of this story as a means to bash Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart officials told the newspaper those arrested were employees of a subcontractor and that the nation's largest retailer has contracts with subcontractors requiring that they follow all federal, state and local laws.

"It is our understanding that the individuals taken into custody at the Pottsville distribution center construction site were employees of subcontractors and not Wal-Mart associates," Wal-Mart said in a statement emailed to CNNMoney.com.

"Consistent with our corporate practice, we have written contracts with these subcontractors requiring that they follow all applicable local, state and federal employment laws. We will cooperate fully with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the U.S. attorney's office in this matter," the statement said.

cnnmoney

Should you bear the responsibility because you auto repair shop gets busted for hiring illegals? I think that the construction sub-contractors should the the subject of this article, not Wal-Mart.

As far as Wal-Mart products go, I buy virtually everything from Wal-Mart and am almost always satisfied with the products. If I am not, I know that I can return them with no questions asked.

[edit on 2005/11/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   

As far as Wal-Mart products go, I buy virtually everything from Wal-Mart and am almost always satisfied with the products. If I am not, I know that I can return them with no questions asked.

And people wonder why our trade deficit is at $589 billion dollars for the first nine months of this year, up from $101 billion for the ENTIRE YEAR of 1999.

[edit on 18-11-2005 by elderban]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
As I wrote in another thread earlier ...

A MallWart, err, Wallmart location in construction may have been raided by 'la migra' resulting in 125 deportations, but Wallmart itself is not in any hot water... I can just hear them now... "huh? Illegals? We just hired a contractor to build this place, we don't micro manage their operation".

The contractor ( his/her business ) folds, starts a new one... viola, no significant long term reprocussions.

GradyPhilpott you pointed out that what their official response was exactly as I thought it would be.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

haha, i boycott walmart as much as i can, they are like the heart of corporate greed. and their mainframe is a mirror, look at yourself.

oh well, it's not like it's hurting you, but your children will. i hope you sleep tight that you just mess up your child's future. well at least your child will be able to work at walmart... no wait, they won't, illigals will take their place.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Very much of what I buy the most of at Wal-Mart is made right here in the good ol' US of A. Wal-Mart is not the only importer of foreign goods and everything they sell is not foreign made. Wal-Mart is the master of capitalism. They provide good products and good prices. That's what the public wants and that's why people shop there. If it were not so, people would shop elsewhere. No one makes anyone shop at Wal-Mart and no one has to work there.

In my youth, Sears had the slogans, "Sears has everything" and "Sears: Where America Shops." Wal-Mart is what every retailer strives to be. Take away Wal-Mart and someone else will become what Wal-Mart is now. It's a simple as that.

McGrude:

GradyPhilpott you pointed out that what their official response was exactly as I thought it would be.

My favorite restaurant hires illegal aliens. In fact, if I stopped shopping at places that hire illegal aliens, I would own nothing and would have to live in the park and even it is probably maintained by illegals. That problem is not Wal-Mart's alone. The problem is that we live in a nation that refuses to take the problem of illegals seriously. Blaming Wal-Mart is like blaming the weatherman when it rains.

[edit on 2005/11/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm with Grady. I do most of my shopping at Wal-Mart for several reasons: the people are very helpful, it's open 24 hrs/day, and the prices.

If we are running a trade deficit with China, it's not the fault of Wal-Mart. We can blame those elected officials who are so concerned with Valerie Plame or whether WMD intel was massaged 4 years ago that they spend their entire year on those type of topics.

Wal-Mart is not perfect; we have all heard about hiring and compensation irregularities. They do employ over 1 million people, so that is a good thing.

The responsibility for using illegals rests with the contractors.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I forgot about the 24/7 factor. I do almost all of my shopping between 10pm and 4am. What a joy! The only problem is having to avoid all those boxes, but it sure beats dodging all those people.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Looks to me like another union attempt to torpedo Walmart. When you find a Walmart that has been raided because it's employees were illegals call me. Until then didn't this guy do an article about how the US should let illegals stay in the US?

top topics

join