It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erratic Static Fanatic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Anyone else get static shock from cars and doors regularly, about 2 to 3 times a day? Not *zap, giggle* that tickles but *ZAP!* Ow! That fraekin' hurt! I'm familiar with the science (4-year biology major), but what's the deal with the frequency? No pun intended. Okay, if you're laughing, then pun intended. It seems paranormal to me because I haven't heard of it happening that often.

[edit on 18-11-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't get any paranormal connection here. Could you elaborate on the paranormal angle for us?

I don't know the science behind it, is it static electricity? Could you explain that a little, too?

BTW, I get those shocks ALL the time. Sometimes stronger, sometimes weaker.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I don't see the paranormal link either, but heres my 1 1/2 cents:

You may just be excessively dry. May I suggest drinking more water?
. Or maybe put a humidifier in your house. Static electricity gets especially bad in winter (like now), because it is even dryer than usual and your house is all closed up.

[edit on 18-11-2005 by Yarcofin]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yarcofin, it's got to be more that needing more water. I drink PLENTY of water every day, in excess of 64 ounces daily.
I still set off shocks on my car.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
May I suggest being extremely careful and grounding every time you fill up your car? If you get a shock off your car every time you touch it, you are an accident waiting to happen. One little spark of static electricity can be enough to turn a gas station into an block-wide ball of flames. Careful. Seriously. I'm worried for you.

Hmm... I get a shock every time I hold the metal part of a shopping cart. But it's only when something is in the cart. I probably can't explain it as well as a biology major though, so I'll leave it alone.

[edit on 18-11-2005 by Yarcofin]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
May I suggest being extremely careful and grounding every time you fill up your car? If you get a shock off your car every time you touch it, you are an accident waiting to happen. One little spark of static electricity can be enough to turn a gas station into an block-wide ball of flames. Careful. Seriously. I'm worried for you.

You've put some good advice on the thread Yarcofin and do appreciate the concern. Though, afterlife is set for me (if it's not for any readers here and they'd like to received the gift of eternal life, feel free to U2U me).

Sounds normal, though I think it's kinda wierd that we all have some serious zingers 2 to 3 times a day. Alrighty mods, do your thing and kick me to some nether region of BTS or feel free to close the thread. The good news is, if I ever go into cardiac arrest, all I have to do is touch a door nob at work or get out of my car.

Thanks all for the advice.

[edit on 19-11-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
The main generator of static in a car setting is your clothing. Certain types will create more static with friction. Get a new wardrobe immidiatly!! You may also live in a dry climate. Move!!

Static Electricity, the silent killer!

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I took the liberty of snapping a photo of you the other day saint4God and think I can see the problem.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Oh man. That's pimpin. lol. On a more serious picture-sharing note, they do actually make Anti-Static clothing. For people who make computer chips, etc. Maybe you want to invest in one of these suits if it gets really bad:

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mark Harris
I took the liberty of snapping a photo of you the other day saint4God and think I can see the problem.

You think that's crazy, you should see the COLOR photo of me

Ya Yarcofin, the suits look awesome! A bit Shaolin too, which is always a plus for me.

[edit on 20-11-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yeah I notice that too, like everytime I get out of my truck. Which by the way here is a link to it: Link

After I installed a subwoofer, I noticed that I started to get zapped more often in places that are NOT painted. Check and see if thats where you normally get zapped...nothing a little duct tape wont fix
. Nah, I think it has something to do with the grounding of certain electrical objects to the chassis.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Thought I would update some findings. Recently I had bought a hygrometer by Honeywell because I'd heard from my doctor that humidity could be a factor for my annual sinus infection. True to form, I found out my house was well into the dry region in relative humitidy especially from November to late February. To fix the issue I have a humdifier. It solved not only this sinus issue, but don't have household static, and the floorboards don't creak as much. This is especially good news for electronic devices as well, as I'd learned that dry conditions are not good for machines. One static discharge is all it takes to wipe out a computer motherboard. If you have issue with static, get a hygrometer and check relative humidity.

new topics

top topics

join