It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yugoslavia - The Avoidable War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This video documents the breakup up Yugoslavia and how that was facilitated by the German government and it also shows how the Croats and muslims used the press to their advantage to sway public opinion against the Serbs.

Part 1
Yugoslavia_-_The_avoidable_war_-_part_1.wmv.html
50MB and just under 1 hour long.

Click free for the type of download and then wait a few seconds (up to a minute) for the download link to appear.

If you'd prefer a better quality version, you can download the torrents.

Part one:
www.mininova.org...
Part two:
www.mininova.org...

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Part two here:
rapidshare.de...

Same size and duration as the last one.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
All wars are "avoidable" what is unavoidable is the inability for people to simply understand, discuss and accept the differences of others. Some wars can be understood from the aspect of greed and the desire to control others but wars whose roots are religious are, indeed, the most stupid reason whatsoever to initiate military action. After religion, wars fought with historical references (your people killed my great, great, great, great grandfather so now I'm going to kill you) are also stupid and avoidable. That's why they have the expression "forgive and forget".

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I don't think this war was mostly religious.
It had to do with the secession of Croatia and Bosnia from Yugoslavia.

If those secessionist states hadn't been recognized and supported by Germany and the US the war may have been avoided.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well, the how would you explain the problems that existed between the various Yugo's before WWII?

There have always been animosities there; anything from Roman Catholic(Croat, Slovenian), Muslim(Bosnian), and Orthodox (Serbian, Macedonian, Montenegren), to the Use of Latin vs. Cyrillic alphabets. Croatia and Slovenia were always part of Western Europe, whereas Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro leaned towards the East. Bosna is too complicated place a placard on.

But what Tito managed to do after WWII, was to unite the ethnicities into one nation. Forcibly, yes, but they co-existed in relative calm.

As a Croat myself, my family has always said Croatian( Hrvat), and very rarely Yugoslavian. They have always had strong leanings towrds the Germans, as Croatia and Germany are historical allies. I am glad that Germany recognized Croatia right at their call for independance. I am also glad that they supplied arms to the HDF, and Croatian regulars.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Here's part three.

Yugoslavia_-_The_avoidable_war_-_part_3.wmv.html

That's the last part of this movie.
It's also about 50MB and about an hour long.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Why woudl the war wanted to be avoided? The Serbs were the ones that sent their armies out to fight the war, the international community merely decided to step in. The war couldn't've been avoided, so long as the Serbs would use force to hold on to 'Greater Serbia'.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
The war couldn't've been avoided, so long as the Serbs would use force to hold on to 'Greater Serbia'.

The war could have been avoided by not recognizing Croatia and Bosnia and indpendent countries. At the very least they could have stepped in first and made sure that all sides came to an agreement before recognizing them.

What do you think would happen in Thailand or the Philippines if the US or any other major power decided to recognize the independence of the territories being fought over by the Pattani United Liberation Organization (PULO) or the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF)?

OT: you'd think they'd have a better acronym than MILF

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I don't think this war was mostly religious.
It had to do with the secession of Croatia and Bosnia from Yugoslavia.

If those secessionist states hadn't been recognized and supported by Germany and the US the war may have been avoided.

AceOfBase, this situation is simply historical inevitability of that region.
I would simply implore you to objectively research 1848 and the Springtime of Nations.

seekerof

[edit on 18-11-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Oh youre all full of assumptions arent you, lets just say catholic church had A LOT to do with the complete breakdown of Yugoslavia. They pumped the people with independance mumbojumbo, while on the other hand protestants in Serbia pumped people with the idea of Serb "superiority".

It seems like yesterday when i watched pre-war Serbian TV on which first Milosevich talked about how they will never let Slovenia and Croatia be independant, and he was followed by a protestant priest saying "Serbian people are holy people....!". Well A LOT of people obviously took him literaly.

That was right before they let all the psychos out of prisons and send them together with the minorities from Vojvodina to take the city of Vukovar on the Croatia-Vojvodina border....my fathers godfather was there. Serbs were walking the streets of that completely destroyed city singing: "there will be meat, there will be lots of meat, well slaughter crotats...". This was on TV also.

Croats themselves retaliated by chasing serbs out of Krajina part of their country, which was moslty populated by serbs.

The bosnians got the worst deal in the mess, getting slaughtered by serbs and croats, both at the same time, as Milosevich and Tudjman devided a big part of Bosnia among themselves. Yup the big plan ! Bosnia was to be divided and muslims to be slaughtered. And to top it of, International community wouldnt let bosnians arm themselves TO DEFEND themselves. They send their peacekeepers in and we all know how that turned out. Now you can say that it was an error, but i think everybody just wanted to get rid of muslims. Only much later, when serbs really got out of control did the cavalry arrive....late as usual.

Slovenia got out of it easily. A "war" which was more like a staged retreat of YU army lasted for 10 days. And imagine this, there are "veterans" of this make beleive war.

Well all you need to do is check who officially recognized Slovenia and Croatia as soverign countries.....
Germany and Vatican !!!! The same people that are right now as i am writing this "milking" and buying of everything in Slovenia! The church got huuuuge amounts of land and forests "back", and Germany practically "ownz" Croatia.

This was a perfect example of divide and conquer people, as usually aided by our masonic friends, always ready to help out their (and mine) new masters.

They all played the people like the sheep that they are, and now, years later, many here in Slovenia talk about how nice and easy it used to be. Capitalism just isnt ALL THAT after all.

peace

(but for how long?)

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
AceOfBase, this situation is simply historical inevitability of that region.
I would simply implore you to objectively research 1848 and the Springtime of Nations.

Perhaps it was inevitable that they would eventually secede at some point but it could have been handled much better instead of just immediately recognizing them.

top topics

join