It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How fast is Iran catching up to U.S. in terms of military?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
NR

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Since we been talking so much about our nuclear program and all the politics i think we should see how fast Iran is cathing up, i also would to add no flaming in here or saying who would win were basiclly just comparing between the two. So far i think were going very well with our missile technology since Shahab-4 is to be comin out soon and Ghadr missile. Our navy seems to be ok atleast one of the best in regoin and is only getting bigger. Our tank production line seems to be great and with Zulfiqar-3MBT expected to roll out this year I think it would be great.
But I think the only thing that were missing and we need the most are probably bombers and more jetfighter aircrafts. We need more of those and hopefully more migs or sukhois fighter will be rolling into IRIAF, kind of like our stealth strike fighter/bomber Shafaq. What do you guys think?

[edit on 18-11-2005 by NR]

Mod Edit: Title only.

[edit on 25-11-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I find it worrying, what do you think of the goverment in control of your country at the moment? sorry a little of topic.
But its related.
Ive seen you post a lot about Iran, so am curious what you think about developing issues.

Will this militry build up, destablise the ME even more?

And if, i say if, there was a war, surely everything Iran has, will not be enough?no?

Peace.

NR

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
I find it worrying, what do you think of the goverment in control of your country at the moment? sorry a little of topic.
But its related.
Ive seen you post a lot about Iran, so am curious what you think about developing issues.

Will this militry build up, destablise the ME even more?

And if, i say if, there was a war, surely everything Iran has, will not be enough?no?

Peace.

Think about it, we got U.S. and Israel threatening us, you think were just gonna stand there and say you can walk in and take our land? If there was a war i'm sure we learned from Iraq war and have enough missiles that can do the job, i'll post a picture on a island near persian gulf called Kharg where it has hundreds of missile silos waiting to be shootin out.

[edit on 18-11-2005 by NR]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I suppose a good way to answer that question would be to ask how much money each nation spends on the military, and what was the extent of the U.S.'s lead beforehand?

That might be the best way to measure the two. As for the specific answer, I have no clue.

Why do you ask? Looking to start a shooting war? I thought we were friends!

NR

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I suppose a good way to answer that question would be to ask how much money each nation spends on the military, and what was the extent of the U.S.'s lead beforehand?

That might be the best way to measure the two. As for the specific answer, I have no clue.

Why do you ask? Looking to start a shooting war? I thought we were friends!

haha bro this isn't a thread to start wars i'm just saying how far is Iran from cathing up to the U.S. and how good they are cathing up to other super powers.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
We don't want your land, and neither does Israel.
Iran has made threatening noises toward Israel, and has supplied the enemies of Israel with funds and supplies for years. After the Shaw, Iran has made a point of not being our friend. They started that out with a bang back in the 70's if you recall. The Iranian government has given less reasons for trusting them than my own moronic government, and Israel has given no reason for Iran to believe they will threaten it.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Well, in terms of the military budget of each and every nation, U.S is the only country in the whole world that spends so much money on developing and maintaining their military force. However, some times the hardware doesn't really matter if you don't have the "heart-ware".

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
That was not the question.
Regardless, our troops have proven their heart.

NR

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

We don't want your land, and neither does Israel.
Iran has made threatening noises toward Israel, and has supplied the enemies of Israel with funds and supplies for years. After the Shaw, Iran has made a point of not being our friend. They started that out with a bang back in the 70's if you recall. The Iranian government has given less reasons for trusting them than my own moronic government, and Israel has given no reason for Iran to believe they will threaten it.

I agree no one should take what doesnt belong to them, we made those threats to Israel and U.S. but we did it for like 27 years but all that was banned 10 years ago, But you have to wonder why we over throwed the Shah, that guy was just a puppet and nothing more. Our economy wasn't doing so good with him on it and at that time poverty was very high in Iran with him in power. If Dr.Mossadegh wasn't overthrowned back in 50's than all this wouldn't have happend. Now lets stick to the topic dont want this to start with all the politic crapp again....

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   

and Israel has given no reason for Iran to believe they will threaten it.

Well they have threatened to bomb their nuclear reactor, but thats fair enough I suppose since Iran has constantly threatened Israels existence.

America spends almost as much on it's military as every other country in the world COMBINED. Iran has no chance if the US really wanted it, whether they think it's worth the effort to do it is another story.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Unfortunatly till Iran gets their Nuke, there really is not much to compare.
The other crucial item is resources, Iran is still comparatively small, I imagine most of its war backing (manufacturing etc) could be eliminated fairly quickly. On the other hand, the United States has lost much of its manufacturing capacity by attrition.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Iran has been supplying the Israeli enemy much earlier than 20 years ago. I know I'm getting old and my memory is failing, but that mainly pertains to what my last meal was.

I'm more concerned with "their" intentions for Iran, and what they are going to do to bring you into the Democratic fold. "they" are much larger than the U.S. and Israel. We are controlled by "them".

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Latest figures i can find is Iran GDP (2003) 516b an extimated 4.3b spent on military.
USA GDP (2004) 11.75t, 370b spent on military.

Sorta means that USA power owns Irans military and you can never catch up, but i guess if you make Nukes, you cant really get so much more powerful than nukes.

But then if the US develops Anti Matter Bombs and an effective "star wars" type programme, they become godly !

All we need is our scientists to find a viable replacement for Oil (plz plz plz one day).

NR

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NumberCruncher
Latest figures i can find is Iran GDP (2003) 516b an extimated 4.3b spent on military.
USA GDP (2004) 11.75t, 370b spent on military.

Sorta means that USA power owns Irans military and you can never catch up, but i guess if you make Nukes, you cant really get so much more powerful than nukes.

But then if the US develops Anti Matter Bombs and an effective "star wars" type programme, they become godly !

All we need is our scientists to find a viable replacement for Oil (plz plz plz one day).

4.3bill on military? sorry but its more like 76bill.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
shalom - saalam NR,

my little country will not declare war:..... there's no way we can feed millions of prisoners.

When will the Shehab-4 be ready?

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
NR !
Nice thread!
But U.S. believes in Darwins Law:
"Survival of the fittest"

Jews (Israel) survive not because of their race, creed or close friendship with the U.S. ........ it is the money and lobbies bought by the money that counts.
U.S. allows Israel to develop/acquire and use any kind of weapon, occupy lands across international borders, dis-obey UN resolutions, violate all international laws and human rights.............. and U.S. attacks any country that competes or is threat to Israel...................

Iran is offending US+Israel by claiming sovereignity, small scale arms and missile production and perhaps, after 10 years, to-be-nuclear state.

Do study the law of DArwin to survie in this world of US domination

Friend or foe.......................Musharraf Of Pakistan, head of a nuclear state,..................said Friend?

Do you understand...........

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I'm more concerned with "their" intentions for Iran, and what they are going to do to bring you into the Democratic fold. "they" are much larger than the U.S. and Israel. We are controlled by "them".

What is that larger than USA+Israel?

UN........#, EU.........innocent children, ........

Then who?

I can't guess.....too dull ! It needs brains?

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
NR, with all due respect 370 Bln. up against the 76 Bln. that you say is the real military budget of Iran is still not a match. It is just a matter of looking at numbers, while it does not always matter like this, looking through history but when it comes to conventional armies the budget just keeps Americas ahead of the pack, theres no denying it. As far as Iran catching up, theres no way to tell because of how secretive governments can be in hiding tech. If you could get us a little more info on Irans tech I'm sure it would shed a bit more light on the subject though.

[edit on 11/18/2005 by ludaChris]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Wow, I can't beleive how off topic this thread has gotten.

Surely there are some members here who can objectively analyze any advancements in the iranian military over the past, say, decade??

From my own poor understanding, iran can't be catching up with the US in a significant way, because Iran has a 'stalled' economy and the US spends far far more on the military than iran. Iran is, now with the elimination of iraq, a regional power, but I am not sure that many would even consider it that. True enough, Iran is certainly not some backwards mud and wattle-hut civilization, its nicely modern, has rockets, an suitable airforce, mechanized military, etc etc. But what about force projection? I don't think Iran has any ability for that, overseas clearly not, but even within the region?

How long could iran sustain a large expedition into the central asian 'stans, for example? I'd think that the must have the ability to invade iraq (sans us). Then again they couldn't really accomplish that when saddam was in power, but that was a while ago.

So a big question is what major strategic advantages have been developed since then.

Is no one here capable of that level of analysis? I thought we had lots of good analyists here?

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by NR

4.3bill on military? sorry but its more like 76bill.

76 billion dollars!!!
sounds more like China's defense budget than Iran's defense budget. you sure the numbers are right?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join