It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico To Open Island Port In Kansas City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
In a landmark agreement Mexico will open the first ever foreign customs office inside the United States as a shipping port. Thousands of trucks will go through export inspections and then be sent back out onto the North American Free Trade Agreement corridor. As long as the containers stay electronically sealed they will be allowed to cross the border without any further inspections or delays.

www.indystar.com
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Shipping American cars and electronics to Mexico may become much cheaper and faster early next year when the first Mexican customs facility in the United States is expected to open in the heart of the Midwest.

It may be nearly 1,000 miles to the border from Kansas City, but this industrial hub soon will start building an inland port that would whisk thousands of trucks through export inspections and shoot them back out onto the North American Free Trade Agreement corridor, where they can roll through the border without further delays.

The $3 million facility, which would be the first foreign customs office inside the United States, likely will be approved by the U.S. and Mexican governments by year's end and is scheduled to open in May, said Chris Gutierrez, president of Kansas City SmartPort Inc., a nonprofit organization promoting the project. Planners say manufacturing industries in the upper Midwest and Canada would be the first to benefit from the new customs operation, which they believe could expand to handle cargo from across the country.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kansas City is considered to be the geogrpahical heartland of the United States and the entire NAFTA Region. The fact is that this facility is scheduled to be operational by May of 2006. Although I am not sure what the conditions are for the return of the trucks as the article was not very specific on that issue.

Related News Links:
www.kansascity.com
www.kansascity.com
www.bizjournals.com
www.mysanantonio.com

[edit on 20-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This will probably increase Kansas City's revunue a lot. I imagine that many companies who send a large amount of products to Mexico and points south will be moving their facilities here, or at least having a part of their operations here. It would probably save the companies tons of money, and also start putting money into Kansas City's coffers...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I read the story and realize that the containers will have to be sealed, and remain so.

With that having been said, does anyone see this as a way to increase the terror level in America.

I mean, do you think the terrorists can find a way to "slip" the bad stuff into Kansas City through Mexico without anyone knowing?

- One Man Short

new topics

join