It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US Patriot Act Up for Vote to Become Permanent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The USA's Patriot Act is about to become permanent. Two of the Act's sixteen provisions will be extended for seven years; the other fourteen provisions will be made permanent. In addition, a separate provision on investigating "lone wolf" terrorists is being estended. Critics are concerned at the loss of civil liberties entailed by the Act, which originally was temporary.

www.slate.com
Fourteen of the Patriot Act's 16 provisions will be made permanent. The two others, which include the power to rifle through library records, will be extended for another seven years. In one of the few concessions to civil-liberties types, the new bill requires that the Justice Department release stats on how often it's invoking some of the more controversial provisions of the law, such as the library records and sending subpoena-like "national security letters."

Congress Nears Deal to Renew Antiterror Law

Negotiators met into the night Wednesday, with last-minute wrangling over several narrow points, and were expected to reach a final agreement by Thursday. Once negotiators sign the deal, it will require the final approval of the full House and Senate, which is likely to come this week.

But civil rights advocates and Democrats were already in full attack mode late Wednesday, calling the expected deal an "unacceptable" retreat from promised restrictions on the government's sweeping antiterrorism powers.

The agreement ensures the extension of all 16 provisions of the law that were set to expire in six weeks. Fourteen will be extended permanently, and the remaining two - dealing with the government's demands for business and library records and its use of roving wiretaps - will be extended for seven years.

The agreement also includes a seven-year extension of a separate provision on investigating "lone wolf" terrorists.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not much more to be said. When the US Patriot Act first was passed, critics predicted that it would become permanent, destroy American civil liberties, and undermine the foundation of US democracy.

Sometimes, what appears to be prophesy is nothing more mysterious than simple awareness.

Re: Predictions. Just search ATS for Patriot Act threads.

Post edit to modify subject/.line for better accuracy.
The patriot act has not yet become permanent.

[edit on 17-11-2005 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Told you so? Bah, I'm not surprised. However, if this doesn't get the youth of America angry and pissed off, then thats it. It's over. The U.S. would become what they so wanted to destroy. And there will be no coming back. Dark days are a.. I just hope they shake it off. Their constitution has now been pissed on from above, by the powers that be. I don't pray much, but I feel inclined to now. I'll say a wee prayer, and hope those bloody Democrats do their job.

If any of you American folk dislike the Patriot Act, come over to Scotland!
The most we've done is ban smokers in public places. But we're also opening 24 hour bars. Anyone interested?

[edit on 17/11/05 by MacDonagh]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Everyone in the US who can write or leave a VoiceMail should write to their Senator or Representative and VOICE THE STRONGEST OPPOSITION to removing the SUNSET CLAUSES in the Patriot Act, and to making anything contained in it "permanent."

Here is a clause which shall be stricken from the US Constitution permanently without a constititutional congress if this bill is allowed to "go permanent" :

"THE PRIVILEGE OF THE WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS ("you must have the Body" = i.e. body of Evidence =imperative subjunctive active voice of Lat. HABEO) SHALL NOT BE SUSPENDED" is part of the US Constitution (Article I Section 9 Clause 2).

This is only part of the list of US citizens' rights which will be permanently removed from "due process" of detaining US citizens...

Please download a copy of this heinous document and READ IT to get a taste of what is in store PERMANENTLY if this bill passes

www.epic.org...

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sad case of the matter is, if it's protested, stalled and not accepted.... something will be blown up.

Al-Zaraqwi's ghost writer is probably sitting at the PC right now drafting the post to go on a random Islamic message board to take the credit for it.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
www.geocities/ajbsb2005/bsbpolitics.htm

This is part of my website, it also has links to the Senate and the House of Reps for USA BSB fans and anyone who cares.

Bad govt, Bad! Thomas Paine didn't write "Common Sense" so this could happen. They're violating the whole Bill of Rights(except for the 14, 15, and 17, they are techinqually "illegal"(look for "The De Facto Goverment" by Charles Weisman), but that's another conversation.

[edit on 11/17/05 by bsbfan1]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
That might be true. I do remember a passage saying that. Can someone find a link to that? However, those who plan to go for some sort of revolution should be warned. After each revolution drains away, then the slime of a new government emerges.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
There is no reason to make anythign from the Patriot Act permanent. The Patriot Act was a measure to deal with a long term emegerncy, the Terror War. A temporary provision, acceptable only because it was temporary and explicitly for dealing with a particularly nasty and difficult to root out foe.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I modified the .line of this story from "US Patriot Act to Become Permanent" to it's current .line. The original was deceptive and not reflective of what's currently happening in Washington:
www.usatoday.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) — A bipartisan group of senators told congressional leaders Thursday they will try to block reauthorization of the Patriot Act to protest the elimination Senate-mandated protections against "unnecessary and intrusive government surveillance" in a House-Senate compromise.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Please make an effort to create .lines that are accurate. It reflects poorly on ATSNN.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Sorry SO - I just copied a line from one of my sources for the title - but I certainly will endeavor to be more professional than the professionals, thus to uphold ATS' high standards.

The urgency remains for those concerned about US democracy, and as the NYT outlines, the juggernaut is rolling:

"Once negotiators sign the deal, it will require the final approval of the full House and Senate, which is likely to come this week."

IMO - only a large public outcry will have any significant effect.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Here are a few .lines and highlights from the Patriot Act history:

June 9, 2005: Patriot Act Two Passed by Senate Intelligence Committee

July 2005: Permanent Patriot Act Proposed

August 2005: US Congress votes to make Patriot Act permanent

Patriots to Restore Checks and Balances: Chronology of the USA Patriot Act

UPDATE: FROM THE GUARDIAN, ONE HOUR AGO

...six Republicans and Democrats are threatening to block the final version of the bill when it comes to the full Senate.

The senators are Republicans Larry Craig of Idaho, John Sununu of New Hampshire and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and Democrats Dick Durbin of Illinois, Russ Feingold of Wisconsin and Ken Salazar of Colorado.

Congress is facing two deadlines. Lawmakers want to leave before week's end for Thanksgiving and many parts of the Patriot Act are to expire by year's end if Congress does not renew them.

The Republican-controlled House hoped to approve the compromise on Friday. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., told senators on Thursday that they will have to address the legislation ``before we leave.''

The strategy is to push the Act through when the Senators are tired, and want to get home for Thanksgiving. Hopefully, critics in the Senate will be able to stall the Act's passage.

As someone mentioned above, emails and phone calls might provide needed appreciation and motivation to Senators.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
I just copied a line from one of my sources for the title

ATSNN Guidelines on the submission form clearly state you should not do that.

Also, the stories about the potential filibuster are much more numerous than news articles about it's potential approval as your initial post implied.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by soficrow
I just copied a line from one of my sources for the title

ATSNN Guidelines on the submission form clearly state you should not do that.

I didn't know that. Neither does the ATSNN councillor, djohnsto77, and other expert contributors:

Reuters: CIA says Castro has Parkinson's disease

ATSNN: CIA Says Castro Has Parkinson's Disease

Yahoo: British HIV patients show increasing drug resistance

ATSNN: British HIV Patients Show Increasing Drug Resistance

BBC: US used white phosphorus in Iraq

ATSNN: US Used White Phosphorus in Iraq

MSN: Google breaks $400 a share

ATSNN: Google Stock Breaks $400 Per Share

...My understanding is that the issue is copyright - and copyright does not apply to titles.

Also, the stories about the potential filibuster are much more numerous than news articles about it's potential approval as your initial post implied.

I got on MSN yesterday morning and saw 3 articles that made me sit up and say WHOA! So despite the fact that I really didn't have time to do it, I quickly wrote them up for ATSNN. Normally I do extensive research before I post, but I didn't yesterday - I just reported single articles, as other reporters often do here on ATSNN.

My understanding is that the ATSNN process is designed to bring out further information and generate critical analysis.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Recap: The Patriot Act has not been reviewed since it was introduced - but was being fast-tracked for Senate approval to be made permanent this week as a key component in President Bush's war on terrorism.

Some minor changes were negotiated, then removed. Now 6 Senators - 3 Republican, 3 Democrat - are threatening a filibuster if the minor changes are not put back.

Honestly, it looks like a dog and pony show, and smells like one too.

Patriot Act rush job

President Bush has urged Patriot Act renewal as part of his war on terrorism... The Patriot Act, in the name of aiding FBI detection of terrorists and their plots, trampled too much on the centuries-old rights guaranteed under American law when it was first passed with sunset clauses in the immediate reaction to Sept. 11.

The tiny restrictions now in the "compromise" version -- mainly calling for more public reporting and oversight of investigators' demands for records and of their use of investigative tools -- would not change that picture and are dismissed as window dressing by the ACLU.

Americans remembering the horrors of Sept. 11 are concerned about real terrorist threats by real terrorists. But one of the measurements of a democracy's strength is the willingness of the citizenry to balance demands for security with a respect for the civil liberties that define a free nation.

The latest: Patriot Act Renewal Effort Stalled

Some Good News:

Court Sides with Privacy Rights Group over Patriot Act FOIA
Nov 18 - Privacy rights advocates won another round in court this week, after a judge ordered the Federal Bureau of Investigations to obey federal law and deliver information on certain provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act provisions to the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) in a timely manner.

And here's an interesting tidbit: Meth bill attached to Patriot Act

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
In December, most of the Patriot Act WILL become permanent. Bipartisan negotiators may be able to partially protect certain civil liberties to do with privacy.

Yesterday, Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., joined Republicans Larry Craig, John Sununu and Lisa Murkowski and Democrats Dick Durbin, Russ Feingold and Ken Salazar to block the scheduled vote - the vote has been delayed until December.

Patriot Act extension

extension of Patriot Act

Also see: Tailor the Patriot Act

On ATS:

Canada's Patriot Act

The Patriot Act 2, Immigration and NORTHCOM

US Brokers Continental Corporate Takeover: Update March 22, 2005

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I haven't clicked every link, but I can't find which sixteen provisions are to be made permenant. I don't want to see the Patriot Act become permenant, but a rundown on the provisions would make the issue just a little bit more clear. Also, both the House and Senate bills seem to be a long way from reaching the Presidents desk.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Re: provisions. Follow the links here:
www.checksbalances.org...

There is NO DOUBT that Bush is fast tracking this legislation. So even if it seems that it's not ready for presidential approval - don't count on it. Bush is committed to an extension before the end-December deadline.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
Told you so? Bah, I'm not surprised. However, if this doesn't get the youth of America angry and pissed off, then thats it. It's over. The U.S. would become what they so wanted to destroy. And there will be no coming back. Dark days are a.. I just hope they shake it off. Their constitution has now been pissed on from above, by the powers that be. I don't pray much, but I feel inclined to now. I'll say a wee prayer, and hope those bloody Democrats do their job.

If any of you American folk dislike the Patriot Act, come over to Scotland!
The most we've done is ban smokers in public places. But we're also opening 24 hour bars. Anyone interested?

[edit on 17/11/05 by MacDonagh]

Huh. I guess ill take you up on that offer and move to the EU or back to russia (where you know when the kgb is trying to kill you
) in a few years. From what i hear they might be able to hack your computers? This can be done from a remote location... so what if your in France and they hack the wrong computer? What frightens me the most is what you said, this becoming permenant*. What ever happened to the beliefs of your Fore Fathers? I came to America in search of freedom but America has just turned into what it has tried to destroy...

Bars open 24 hours you say ^^

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm sorry, the American youth doesn't know anything about fighting against people like this. The only way they will think of fighting it, will be to fight, physically, like attacking Cops or rebel by smoking more pot.

The dumbing down of America & it's population & youth is an almost total success thru overloading the public with images of "terrorist actions", overloading them with TV shows, X-Box & PSP2 games, "win the lottery" fever, taking the easy way out, another words. They've been teaching the American public for years, that it's better to spend spend spend, & damn the consequences, that if you get lucky & win the lottery, well, you'll just be set for life, instead of setting aside money, & saving & working hard to get a..

People just don't care enough anymore, to learn how to fight the government. They've also just forgotten how to fight, thru the government getting the history book writers to "edit" History to change it little by little over the span of the last 100 or so years, slowly taking away statements that show the fight for freedom, the ideas of it.

Also by taking away our children from us, by violence in school, teachers having sex with students, "no child shall be left behind" not pushing the kids to actually learn anything, which will eventually lead to a stricter, more controlled school system, where they lock down the kids, so they only see what they're supposed to see, & not be able to actually exeperience hardships in school. You see, it takes having bullies picking on you, other kids teasing you, to make you a stronger person. You have to have those kind of experiences, so you know how to fight it, how to avoid it, & how to become stronger so you're not on the bottom rung of society anymore. You have to have a punishment for not actually making the school grades too, or you don't see a consequence to your failure.

I was held back in 3rd grade, because I was so sick & lost too many days in school, & couldn't make it up. I was the shy quiet kid in school, that got picked on, that got picked on by bullies, that had to learn how to avoid those fights, that had to learn how to become stronger & figure out how to fight off 4 kids at once when I couldn't avoid that situation.

I was the kid who learned the Art of War thru first hand experience, learning that information was a weapon to be used against you, that learned to outhink the enemy is sometimes a better way of dealing with the situation. My step-father taught Me, sometimes you can talk your way out of a situation with a bully with words, & sometimes you had to talk with a really "big" stick. I started learning the Art of War at age 6, when My step-father came into My life, learned it everytime someone picked on Me & I came home with a bloody nose, I actually read the Art of War at age 10, & understood every word of it. I am a Spartan, by life experience, & I plan on not letting our government take away all of our freedoms.

These are the things that the government doesn't want you to learn, they don't want you to learn how to become smarter (if I went for all the college degrees I could have, I've have 25 & these are things I've learned thru personal life experience), to learn how to become stronger (both mentally & physically), to learn to set aside money so you have something for retirement (I have a Roth IRA, & I'll be a millionaire by the time I'm 60), to learn how to teach your children the difference between right & wrong (of course they don't want that, you might actually tell your kids that the government is doing something wrong, like My step-father did).

See, these are things that the Patriot Act will take away, along with freedoms that the American public is so willingly giving away, thru surrendering privacy in order to "feel" safe. The government doesn't want you to have privacy, because you'd actually be able to hide weapons when they come to get them, you'd be able to avoid the checkpoints that will eventually be throughout the US, where you have to "show your papers" just like Russia 10, 20, & 30 years ago.

They don't want you to have privacy, because you might actually do something that will stop them, & they want your neighbors to watch you, thru "Neighborhood Watch", so they can turn around & turn you in as someone who's supicious, & they'll get a reward, but little do they know they'll be the next one to be called in on by the other neighbor who doesn't like you, because you kept borrowing his tools, & kept them longer than he liked.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
There is no reason to make anythign from the Patriot Act permanent. The Patriot Act was a measure to deal with a long term emegerncy, the Terror War. A temporary provision, acceptable only because it was temporary and explicitly for dealing with a particularly nasty and difficult to root out foe.

and that threat seems to be dissenting americans.

we are f*cked.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think that the Patriot act does an "ok" job at balancing out privacy and protection for us. I would like to see more details in certain sections.

new topics

top topics

join