It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics: Martin warns that a Christmas election risks offending religious groups.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Paul Maritin still fights an early election with his comments made in Korea.

www.theglobeandmail.com

www.theglobeandmail.com...
Busan, Republic of Korea — Prime Minister Paul Martin warned Thursday that a Christmas election campaign risks offending ethnic and religious groups who observe their own traditions around the same time.

Mr. Martin, in South Korea for a meeting of Asia-Pacific economic leaders, heated up the rhetoric against a holiday vote as opposition leaders and the Prime Minister continue to jockey over who takes the lion's share of the blame for forcing a campaign over the holidays.

He made the comments in response to questions over whether he would extend the length of a holiday campaign if it would allow voters more time to have a complete debate while juggling the demands of the holiday season.

The Prime Minister shrugged off the question but did repeat his opposition to a holiday vote, adding that it could be disrespectful to many diverse groups, like those of the Orthodox faith, who celebrate their Christmas on Jan. 7

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I do not want to have a holiday election.

But will religious groups really be offended? I'm sure they will be mad just like other Canadians, but offended?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Sounds like Martin is really grasping at straws on this one. Personally I don't think anyone will be offended, maybe if the conservatives stepped up to the plate with a platform not based on the liberals downfalls and give Canadians a reason to test their waters, I know everyone fears the opposition but we can't continue to lay the blame at the door of the present for past missuses. For if we do then what is not to say that if the opposition does win and succeed for a trial time, and we are once again subjected to lies and deceit, will we keep this party in power for fear of past liberal mistakes. Right now if we are going to have a minority govvernment I would rather have a NEW minority, that don't forget, will be closely monitored by the opposition anyway, so I say why not give them a chance.

I don't believe for one second, that Mr. Martin has the interests of the Orthodox in question, more he is afraid they will enjoy their holidays that day and not come out to vote for him

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If you go to the CTV website, they are running a poll. Right now, out of approx 3800 votes, 1/3 of the voters said they would be offended in an election was held around their religious holiday.

I didn't think it would be so high. There's really never a convenient time for an election, and I most certainly don't want to listen to their crap campaigns over Christmas. But I'm not offended, just annoyed with the games all the parties are playing instead of doing their jobs.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I don't think Mr. Martin is really concerned with keeping religious groups happy as opposed to simply trying to keep his job. While having an election in December might not be desirable for any number of reasons; weather (it is Winter in Canada, after all), economic (it is the busiest shopping season of the year) and Canadians are sick of the politicking and the simple expense of an election. Nevertheless, this is the political system that Canada has and it should be followed fully.

As far as not wanting to have an election at this time because of "religious" reasons -- not wanting to offend those "of faith", I have to ask just when would be an appropriate time? Just look at this interfaith calendar ( www.interfaithcalendar.org... ) and you can see that there is no gap in the calendar of religious holidays that wouldn't offend some religious group or sect.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The whole thing is such a farce I could really care less.

As far as I am concerned all parties have shown their true colors. It truly will be a vote for the lesser evil.

top topics

join