It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Funds for Bird Flu Rejected.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
President Bush's request to have $7.1 billion in emergency money to address the looming H5N1 pandemic was rejected by conservative House Republicans who insisted the spending be offset by cuts in other government programs. House Appropriations Committee Chairman Jerry Lewis, a California Republican, helped block the emergency funds, even while acknowledging, "the more I study it, the more I see the potential for a pandemic." Arizona Rep. Jeff Flake, another conservative Republic who help kill the provision, told Reuters he would try to kill any avian flu legislation that does not offset the spending with cuts to other programs.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Emergency money that President George W. Bush requested to combat a looming influenza pandemic has been deleted from a U.S. health-funding bill after conservative Republicans insisted it would have to be paid for by cutting other government programs.

The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday was set to debate the massive health-funding bill. After days of intensive talks between the House and Senate, negotiators dropped a plan for $8 billion in funds that Democrats pushed through the Senate last month.

Following that Senate vote, Bush on November 1 asked Congress for $7.1 billion in emergency money.

The funding fight erupted after conservative Republicans in the House insisted that an emergency U.S. effort to stockpile vaccines and anti-viral drugs that could be effective against the deadly flu would have to be paid for by cutting other government programs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

They are playing politics with our health... Hope these bozos are booted out the next round of elections. This spending could hardly be considered "pork."

[edit on 20-11-2005 by asala]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I personally would back this.
Tamiflu does not work in all cases and as the below article shows, it maybe deadly to children.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Best method of avoiding the bird flu is follow your mother's advise.
Wash your hands, drink your OJ, just leave out the chicken soup

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Update to the Tamiflu / children's deaths
The FDA has found no evidence that Tamiflu caused the deathe of 12 children in Japan.
YahooNews

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Kenshiro - there is MUCH disinfo floating around on Tamiflu - mainly because Rumsfeld is connected to Gilead Science, which owns Intellectual Property Rights -and profits- on Tamiflu.

A. Tamiflu doesn't really work on H5N1 bird flu, and
B. Tamiflu can be VERY dangerous.

See:

Tamiflu Linked to Death of 2 Teens

Japan Times:
"In Japan the drug carries a warning of possible impaired consciousness, abnormal behavior, hallucinations, and other psychological and neurological symptoms. ...The Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency said there were 64 cases of psychological disorders linked to the drug between fiscal 2000 and 2004."

Voice of America: "Japan's health ministry says it plans to reissue a warning of dangerous behavioral side effects linked to the anti-influenza drug Tamiflu. This comes amid reports that several children in Japan died after taking the medication."

Chosun: VOA Asia

PharmaTimes:
"According to PharmaTimes, Japan's Ministry of Health may issue another warning of behavioural side effects linked with Tamiflu (oseltamivir), after reports of cases of sudden death amongst children given the drug, and says it has identified 64 cases of psychological disorders linked to oseltamivir since its approval four years ago.

Chugai, which distributes oseltamivir in the Japan, says it has reported two deaths to the Ministry - which in turn has concluded that one death was treatment-related. In Japan, oseltamivir is already stamped with a warning of abnormal behaviour and hallucinations, which is not on the labelling in other markets."

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
soficrow,
I agree there is much disinfo on Tamiflu, Hopefully, I have not spread any.
I am one of the beleivers that a person needs to take standard precautions ie. washing your hands etc., tho help yourself to avoid / fight off the flu. I am also one that has never held that Tamiflu would have ever been successful since it is targeting one variant (and not very well at that
) whereas what people and the CDC are concerned about is a variant (not yet seen) that is transfered human to human. This variation from the present variant may well be enough to make Tamiflu's limited success completely useless.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Worth a bump.

Layers and layers here. Who's profiting? Who's positioning?

How does the tangled web hold together?

top topics

join