It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible new Longisquama specimen found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The material is reportedly the integumentary structures from Longisquama. It was found by a researcher in Kirgizistan.

A new find in a remote part of southwestern Asia — bankrolled by Kansas dinosaur hunters — is adding fuel to a controversy sparked by a Kansas University paleontologist.[...]“This rains on a lot of people’s parades,” Martin said with a chuckle recently, as he reread the e-mail on his office computer in the museum’s basement.

Oddly tho, they describe it as such:

The recently found fossil appears to be feathers from a bird reptile called longisquama and similar to a fossil of longisquama feathers studied by Martin, Kurochkin and others a few years ago

These structures are not feathers, in any sense of the word, and Longisquama is not a bird-reptile by any means.

Larry Martin is one of the BAND people, ([size=-3]Birds Are Not Dinosaurs), though I had thought that he wasn't pushing it these days.

Here is a detail on the appendages:

However, they've been found to actually be 3d strucutres, more like 'extended appendages' than thin 'planar' feathers.

Longisquama with and without the appendages:
external image

Related Articles and Pages:
Feduccia, Ruben, et al. claim Longisquama squashes the dinosaur bird link, while others shoot back
Act Pal Pol Article
the structures of Longisquama are not feathers.

Fossil Discovery Threatens Theory of Birds' Evolution

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I thought that this argument had been put to bed.
Question Nygdan, are there any more recent links? A quick pursal of the one's you supplied seemed to be about 5 years old.
For those who maybe interested, here is an artist's conception of what
Longisquama looked like

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Interesting, I never heard of this animal before.

I used to think birds directly evolved from dinosaurs, but now I'm not so sure. From what I've seen, it seems the bird-like dinosaurs are all younger than the earliest birds, which creates a huge problem.

Feathers on dinosaurs could have been a case of convergent evolution, not an indicator of close relationship with the birds.

[edit on 11/17/2005 by djohnsto77]

join