It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we implement a national genetic screening programme

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Should we implement a national genetic screening programme to catch genetic diseases before they do harm? Would this be run by the government or by the private sector? Would this technology or system be used to ensure 'undesirables' are never born?

I personally think a private screening system with government guidelines, ie. not allowing children with severe genetic diseases (which rid them of any chance of a healthy life whatsoever) to be gestated or born.

What does everyone else think?

We have the technology so we should use to ensure that people who would be born with genetic diseases do not suffer that agony and damn any luddite who says anything to the contrary.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Heck no! Why would I want any form of mandated govenment testing? Don't they already have enough control over our lives? Yet you would willingly hand them control over your life and the life of your unborn child?

I don't see any problem with having private screenings by chioce to test your child for genetic dieseases. Not so they won't be born; but if you know what you will have to deal with as a parent and what your child will go though then you can make better decisions for your future.

Just because someone is born with a genetic diesease does not mean that they should not be allowed to live from infancy, that is a complete lack of disregard and respect for those who are born with one and have made happy and productive lives.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This sounds dangerously like the Nazi policy toward disabled people and those deemed 'unfit'. Why not also have forced sterilisation and euthensia along with this sort of programme?

What you are suggesting is a very dangerous path to go down.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
let me use a little logic here:

fact A: people know about the 20th century and its sensless bloodshed

fact B: they still endorse the same mindset and policies

---
dedcuction:

people love the holocaust, for some uncanny reason

top topics

join