It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: CIA Says Castro Has Parkinson's Disease

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency says Cuban President Fidel Castro is suffering from Parkinson's disease. Although the disease isn't fatal, its debilitating effects could mean the communist dictator may not be able function fully as leader of his country. Castro has been Cuba's leader ever since he led a successful Marxist revolution in 1959.

Reuters
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The CIA has concluded that Cuban President Fidel Castro suffers from Parkinson's disease and could have difficulty coping with the duties of office as his condition worsens, an official said on Wednesday.

The assessment, completed in recent months, suggests the nonfatal but debilitating disease has progressed far enough to warrant questions among U.S. policymakers about the communist country's future in the next several years.

"The assessment is that he has the disease and that his condition has progressed. There appear to be more outward signs," said an official who is familiar with the assessment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The quicker Castro is gone, the better. Hopefully the Cuban people will demand a more open, democratic government once he's finally gone.

[edit on 11/16/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Well, I guess this means we can congratulate him on his excellent health, steady hand, and mental acuity.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Awww, that was low. So what's really happening here? Is there some kind of preferred successor that we should know about? I know much about Cuba but little about the present day situation and people's conjectures about what the future holds.

"Do we see him losing his grip over the country? No," said a State Department official, who asked not to be named because he was discussing intelligence conclusions. "We are not in any way adapting how we plan for the day Castro is gone based on an assessment that he might have Parkinson's."

Zip

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Castro's son will succeed him, and he wont bow down either.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by Unplugged]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Damn i must go on holliday to Cuba soon i guess. It is still a realy nice place to visit. But that will change with Castro death.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Are you kidding, folks? Castro has been in charge of Cuba for like what, 200 some odd years now? He will still be in charge of Cuba for at least another 325 years. ;-)

[edit on 16/11/2005 by GottCompton]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I wonder if this would explain that fall he had not too long ago up at the podium. Didn't he break and ankle or something from that fall?

oh I guess it was a year ago.

Fall of Castro

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Parkinsons is too good for that man. His brother, Raul Castro, will get the dictatorship when Castro dies.

Some of you are under the impression that Castro has been good for Cuba. Thats not the case at all.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Who is lighting hs cigars?

If he still does it himself...I'd like to see his beard go up like a National Lampoon Christmas tree..

And video of the above mentioned event would be a big plus..

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
People who track Cuban events say Raul Castro (Fidel's brother) will assume power when Fidel dies, or otherwise gives up control. Raul is the real Marxist of the family and has been for a very long time now. Raul is not held in great esteem by the Cuban people though so it is doubtful he could hold on to power for very long.

From what few snippets of information I have seen, many high ranking U.S. officials expect the country to turn away from Marxism once Fidel dies. Of course that could just be wishful thinking on their part.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Parkinsons is too good for that man. His brother, Raul Castro, will get the dictatorship when Castro dies.

Some of you are under the impression that Castro has been good for Cuba. Thats not the case at all.

I dont support Castro but why do people always focus on the bad? There must have been SOME good that came of it? Raul might become the next dictator but those damn CIA people might just jump the gun and get in there and set up a democrasy*. They have been eyeing that island for what 40 years now? Oh well it will just become another tourist destination and flourish if it works out for the CIA somehow...

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Interesting......

There is a show on the History Channel that has been running about the fact that Hitler actually suffered from Parkinsons towards the end and the footage is fairly convincing.

Just a coincidence, but I find it interesting.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Who is lighting hs cigars?

Castro gave up cigars some while back. I'm not sure, but I think you can live a very long time with Parkinson's.

health.allrefer.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spartanious
I dont support Castro but why do people always focus on the bad? There must have been SOME good that came of it?

Are you Cuban? I really think we have to defer to the Cuban members to get a true take on this one. Luckily ATS is an international community so we can have some first hand input here.

So, any Cubans want to tell us if any good came of it?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

I dont support Castro but why do people always focus on the bad? There must have been SOME good that came of it?

Are you Cuban? I really think we have to defer to the Cuban members to get a true take on this one. Luckily ATS is an international community so we can have some first hand input here.

So, any Cubans want to tell us if any good came of it?

No man. I'm just one of those damn Soviet Rushkies (i was born there). What i mean is that some of the world looks at Castro likes he is cool. Some of the world hate Bush. Its just the point of view of your Goverment.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

No man. I'm just one of those damn Soviet Rushkies (i was born there). What i mean is that some of the world looks at Castro likes he is cool. Some of the world hate Bush. Its just the point of view of your Goverment.

I happen to have some damn Soviet Rushkie friends - lol, but I am a woman pal

But honestly, again, I have to defer to the Cuban people on this. What is worse - Castro's regime, the US/CIA messing with it or those damn Soviet Rushkies? By the way, I do believe the word Soviet is passe - they are the Russian Federation now.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I happen to have some damn Soviet Rushkie friends - lol, but I am a woman pal

But honestly, again, I have to defer to the Cuban people on this. What is worse - Castro's regime, the US/CIA messing with it or those damn Soviet Rushkies? By the way, I do believe the word Soviet is passe - they are the Russian Federation now.

I meant "man" as in what a hippie would say (sorry hippies). Man as in a neutral word
. I think the US should just wait them out. Its the best thing to do.

Fine Russian Federation w00t

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Okay, but realistically, neither side "waits it out".

So......

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Okay, but realistically, neither side "waits it out".

So......

Excuse me. I meant wait out Castro. He is going to die soon and the US gov. will swoop in and try to "influence" democracy.

A thousand pardons for me not being clear.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
dgtempe is a Cuban-American so we have Cuban representation here, and she's made her feelings about Castro quite clear.

I doubt we'll see anything from Cubans actually living in Cuba.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join