It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA says get out by 12/1/05

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I guess it's time, I sure don't know where all of these people are going to live.

I know my wife's family in Biloxi are in the middle of rebuilding and live in a hotel at this time.

At least they will have the monitary ability to continue staying in a hotel until their homes are rebuilt.

It concerns me about the people who don't have the ability to afford housing, what will thay do.

FEMA Tells 150,000 in Hotels to Exit In 15 Days
No More Free Rooms For Katrina Evacuees

www.washingtonpost.com...

By Spencer S. Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 16, 2005; Page A01

The Federal Emergency Management Agency yesterday warned an estimated 150,000 Hurricane Katrina evacuees living in government-subsidized hotels that they have until Dec. 1 to find other housing before it stops paying for their rooms

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Understand I am not at all looking to start anything negative.

With that having been said, I was wondering what your opinion is as to how long FEMA should continue picking up the tab?

Because for every "hard working, stand on their two feet" person in the US there is one that will milk the system until it's dry.

I am not saying the evacuees would do this, just putting this into perspective and wondering how long is long enough?

Thanks for any reply and input.

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Time line for post disaster housing.

Hmmmm, good point old man!

I think it really depends if your home need to be repaired or built from the ground up.

Both will take time, I would say 3 month housing for repair and 6 months for a complete rebuild, all depending on what each individuals home owners kicks in for emergency housing.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
Time line for post disaster housing.

Hmmmm, good point old man!

I think it really depends if your home need to be repaired or built from the ground up.

Both will take time, I would say 3 month housing for repair and 6 months for a complete rebuild, all depending on what each individuals home owners kicks in for emergency housing.

Thanks for the response. I would be curious as to what timelines some other posters may have in mind.

I have given it some thought and even though I posted what I did in the 2nd post of this thread, I am not sure I would be able to put time limits in place.

That is why I do not work for FEMA making those decisions.

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Just who in the hail does FEMA think they are? After all those people had to endure and the several hardships that came along with it naturally, and now FENA is telling them to move? I think I'd have to tell them where to go or I'd have to go to the hospital to get my foot out of some officials butt. The survivors of those natural disasters are lucky to get a pack of smokes from what I've been told. How can some f(@*(
govt official tell them that they have to move. Is it like they are running out of money?
Well, why not just drive over to the Fed. Reserve and print up all they need? Hell, they are doing it anyway and a little more won't hurt.
The govt. must have just forgot they have lost everything in the world they used to own; or does that count anymore? I'd bet if a FEMA official were in their shoes they would be seeing how it feels. Has anyone seen Humanity lately?

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I wonder how long it will be until the people being asked to leave the hotels or pay will be offered a place in a camp somewhere.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
Just who in the hail does FEMA think they are? After all those people had to endure and the several hardships that came along with it naturally, and now FENA is telling them to move? I think I'd have to tell them where to go or I'd have to go to the hospital to get my foot out of some officials butt. The survivors of those natural disasters are lucky to get a pack of smokes from what I've been told. How can some f(@*(
govt official tell them that they have to move. Is it like they are running out of money?
Well, why not just drive over to the Fed. Reserve and print up all they need? Hell, they are doing it anyway and a little more won't hurt.
The govt. must have just forgot they have lost everything in the world they used to own; or does that count anymore? I'd bet if a FEMA official were in their shoes they would be seeing how it feels. Has anyone seen Humanity lately?

How many evacuees do you have at your home?

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
by what I have heard, these people will have trouble finding a place to live anywhere even remotely clost to the gulf.....the housing market can't absorb that many dislocated people in that area.....so, where are they going to go, even if they have the money.

To me, I don't think they've handled this right from the beginning. Temporary housing for the evacuees might be the proper thing to provide when it's a small tornado, or even your normal sized hurricane. but, this year, the gulf has been hit too hard, and there's no "temporary" about it. many of these people will not be able to move back into their neighborhoods for a very long time. and, it would have probably been cheaper for them to give them transportation, unemployment, and three of four months rent and just asked them where they would of liked to have lived.
heck, the money they spent on the cruise ships probably could have covered quite abit of the expense to do what I am talking about. and well, many of these people might have been settled here and there around the nation, holding jobs, and holding their own by now. and, I imagine there are more than just a few who would have jumped at the chance of getting help relocating anyways.....

so, instead, I guess those people that have been told that if they leave that christian camp, they can't come back, or whatever, and therefore really didn't have an opportunity to find a job, or a place to live, well, now they will be told to get out, it's been long enough, why haven't you got your act together.....

sounds about right for our government!

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Update to my original thread on this subject..

FEMA gives month's reprieve to hurricane evacuees still in hotels

www.usatoday.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) — Stung by complaints it was pushing hurricane victims out before the holidays, FEMA extended its hotel housing program Tuesday by a month in 10 states where most of the homeless evacuees sought shelter after Katrina and Rita.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I know I may get some flame for saying this, but I think it is about time. I don’t pretend to be a nice or politically correct guy; I don’t lie about how I feel. They need to cut them off.

Yes, yes, I know big hurricane, lives ruined, homes destroyed, and thousands on the streets. Sorry, but not my fault and I am tired of paying for it! I lived in Louisiana for a few years, almost stayed, but decided not to because of the incredible chance of my home being destroyed by natural disaster .

I have been down and out, my family has been homeless, and my children have slept in the car. I got out, with no help form anyone. I got a job (with a 9th grade education, no less) at a place that had a workout room (and a shower to go along with it) and saved enough to get a place to live. I am actually doing quite well now with a 5bd, 3ba, 3 car garage (and enough cars to keep it full) 2,800 sq. ft. home in Las Vegas that is only 2 years old. All this and I was homeless 5 years ago.

I don’t want to hear anyone’s excuses! Get a job, get a car, and get a house. Awww, so sorry you may have to sleep in the dirt for a while until you have enough saved. Get over it. Suck it up and keep on going. Either that, or you can quit (and probably die.)

Pull the plug, FEMA!

top topics

join