It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Clinton Calls Iraq War 'Big Mistake'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Former US President Bill Clinton has told Arab students the United States made a 'big mistake' invading Iraq. Speaking to a group of students at the American University of Dubai, Clinton told them that the US had done some good things in Iraq like the removal of Saddam, but went on to say that they had also made mistakes, like the decision to dismantle the whole authority structure of Iraq, and not sendind enough troops, making it impossible to control or seal the borders allowing terrorists to flood in.

abcnews.go.com
"It was a big mistake. The American government made several errors … one of which is how easy it would be to get rid of Saddam and how hard it would be to unite the country."

Clinton's remarks came when he was taking questions about the U.S. invasion, which began in 2003. His response drew cheers and a standing ovation at the end of the hour-long session.

Clinton said the United States had done some good things in Iraq: the removal of Saddam, the ratification of a new constitution and the holding of parliamentary elections.

"The mistake that they made is that when they kicked out Saddam, they decided to dismantle the whole authority structure of Iraq. … We never sent enough troops and didn't have enough troops to control or seal the borders," Clinton said.

As the borders were unsealed, "the terrorists came in," he said.

Clinton said it would have been better if the United States had left Iraq's "fundamental military and social and police structure intact."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I totally agree with Clintons comments...

I supported the invasion and still support the ongoing war, but he is correct in saying that the US made some major mistakes in Iraq.

His comments about the amount of troops sent over couldnt have been put better. If the coalition had sent more troops to Iraq we could have controlled the borders better and stopped the flow of terrorists coming from other countries, meaning less attacks on our boys now!

[edit on 16/11/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I see he has started campaigning for his wife's presidential run already.
Hey Bill ... she's going to win anyways ... you don't have to tire
yourself with this campaigning.

(he must be between girlfriends and bored.
)

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
They should of include the following:

www.cnn.com...

"The best way to end that threat once and for all is with a new Iraqi government -- a government ready to live in peace with its neighbors, a government that respects the rights of its people," Clinton said.

Iraq failed to cooperate with the inspectors and placed new restrictions on them, Clinton said. He said Iraqi officials also destroyed records and moved everything, even the furniture, out of suspected sites before inspectors were allowed in.

"Instead of inspectors disarming Saddam, Saddam has disarmed the inspectors," Clinton said.

The president said the report handed in Tuesday by Richard Butler, head of the United Nations Special Commission in charge of finding and destroying Iraqi weapons, was stark and sobering.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I too agree that we went in ill prepared, but you have to forgive me if I see humor in the fact that Bill Clinton is playing armchair quarterback to Bush.
I mean my daily cigar hasn't tasted the same since he left DC. Down in Barbados they have a saying.................. um...well they have a lot of sayings in Barbados but the fact is 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, well most of the time. You see I hid my cars keys so I wouldn't drink and drive. Problem is I was drunk when I hid them and now I don't know where they are. Now in hindsight I should have given them to my macaw Pedro, but he was drunk too and he isn't allowed to drive drunk either!

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WHOFLUNGGUM
I too agree that we went in ill prepared, but you have to forgive me if I see humor in the fact that Bill Clinton is playing armchair quarterback to Bush.
I mean my daily cigar hasn't tasted the same since he left DC. Down in Barbados they have a saying.................. um...well they have a lot of sayings in Barbados but the fact is 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, well most of the time. You see I hid my cars keys so I wouldn't drink and drive. Problem is I was drunk when I hid them and now I don't know where they are. Now in hindsight I should have given them to my macaw Pedro, but he was drunk too and he isn't allowed to drive drunk either!

I don't think I have laughed as hard to a response that was SO WAY OFF TOPIC in a long long time!

Where else but ATS could you read a thread about Clinton and end up laughing at a drunk guy in Barbados losing his keys.

Anyway, Clinton can second guess Bush all he wants, because there isn't a day that goes by that the World shouldn't second guess ALOT of things Willy Clinton did (or didn't do in office).

- In 1998, as a result of issues surrounding personal indiscretions with a young female White House intern (Monica Lewinsky), Clinton was the second U.S. president to be impeached by the House of Representatives. He was tried in the Senate and found not guilty of the charges brought against him. Clinton initially denied having any improper relationship with Lewinsky, but later admitted that it had in fact taken place. He apologized to the nation for his actions

- During Clinton's tenure, Al-Qaeda began to emerge as a major terrorist threat. In 1998, the group bombed the American embassies in Tanzania and Kenya.

- Some critics argue that the American attacks in Kosovo, Somalia, Bosnia, Sudan, and Afghanistan violated international law

- In the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks, the independent investigating commission was critical of Bill Clinton for focusing more on diplomatic than military means to eliminate the bin Laden threat.

- February 26, 1993 - World Trade Center terrorist attack. The World Trade Center bombing killed 6 and injured over 1,000 peop

- April 19, 1993 - A government siege of the Branch Davidian compound at Waco, Texas, results in the deaths of 80 people when a cult leader allegedly sets fire to his own compound. Clinton and Attorney General Janet Reno receive criticism for mishandling the stand-off.

- April 19, 1995 - Oklahoma City bombing - Terrorist bombing of federal building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma results in the deaths of 168 people, 19 of whom were children.

- August, 1998 - Clinton orders cruise missile strikes on Afghanistan to hit Osama Bin Laden and a suspected chemical weapons factory in Sudan. Republicans cried "wag the dog" as Monica Lewinsky testified before a grand jury about her relationship with Clinton.

- May 7, 1999 - U.S. planes accidentally bomb China's embassy in Belgrade.

- In addition to impeachment and the Whitewater scandal, the Clinton White House was the subject of many lesser scandals.

Travelgate refers to the firing of White House travel office staffers allegedly to give business to Clinton's cousin and utilize the plane of Harry Thomason.

Filegate refers to alleged White House handling of hundreds of personnel files from individuals without asking for their permission. The White House explanation was that it was merely a "bureaucratic snafu".

Chinagate involved Democrats allegedly accepting improper campaign contributions; supposedly the ultimate source of this money was the Chinese government.

Pardongate refers to a grant of clemency to FALN members in 1999 and pardons to his brother and others in 2001 (see Clinton's Pardons List).

In March, 1998 Kathleen Willey, a White House aide, alleged that Clinton had sexually assaulted her. Also in 1998, Juanita Broaddrick alleged that Clinton had raped her in 1978. No charges have been filed in either case.

So...he can say what he wants about President George Bush, however, Bill Clinton had a pretty rough go of it himself in the White House.

Oh how soon you all forget!

- One Man Short

[edit on 16-11-2005 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I'm not gonna get into a whole Bush -vs- Clinton argument. However I completely agree with what he said. There was no exit strategy even thought of before the "LETS GET SADAM" rang out. And now what? We are stuck there plain and simple. And the terrorists or whatever you want to call them are still walking to a fro all around Iraq... so nothing he said is wrong.. wether he was impeached or not.. it has zero bearing on the current situation.

Clinton made mistakes while in office sure.. but in my mind, none as astronomical as while Bush has been president. For every "error" you can throw about Clinton I guarantee I can throw 10 back about Bush.

Sorry.. got off on a rant there.. sitting at work doing nothing makes me space out.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think I am going to be Ill.

I did not have sex with that women.

Have we forgotten already.

Bill is setting the stage for Hillary's run, hey they were in Jordan days after the blast looking for photo opps in the mist of death and carnage looking for a head start in the points poll.

Interesting, this was released to newsmax from the Pentagon today.

You can take this story any way you want, it's from newsmax.
I have a feeling in the comming days more will come out on this story, and this will be the smoking gun.

And you watch, Bill will be saying I was behind the Iraq war the whole time.

New Documents Reveal Saddam Hid WMDs, Was Tied to Al Qaida

www.newsmax.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I can partially agree with DerekJR321.

I DID and DO support removing SADAAM from power and also chasing and killing terrorists.

However, it would seem that we do not have an exit plan, and we need one REALLY soon.

Remember how we left Vietnam, helicopters being shot at as we attempted to take off from a rooftop as the city was falling? We DO NOT need that in Iraq.

My post was simply to point out that Clinton has no real room to bash Bush, nor would Bush SR have call to come down on Clinton. That was my only point.

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman

www.cnn.com...

You do understand that you and Clinton agree, right? Those quotes you posted, he isn't refuting them, he still thinks that.

If you re-read the original post you'll discover that he doesn't agree with what happened after Bush did what he wanted Bush to do, remove Saddam.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by curme]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Originally posted by ferretman

www.cnn.com...

You do understand that you and Clinton agree, right? Those quotes you posted, he isn't refuting them, he still thinks that.

If you re-read the original post you'll discover that he doesn't agree with what happened after Bush did what he wanted Bush to do, remove Saddam.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by curme]

Please don't ASSUME that I forgot anything. let alone the original post. I read it, I understood it, I was just wanting to point out that Sir willy is the very LAST person that should be throwing stones, so please don't think you know what I read and didnt read.

Thank you.

- One Man Short

[edit on 16-11-2005 by One Man Short of Manhood]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm with One Man Short of Manhood on this one... frankly the whole situation is a mess and bashing really has no place right now. Neither from Democrats nor republicans. There is plenty of time for the blame game and fingerpointing later. Meanwhile they should figure out what they are gonna do to get not only our men and women, but all the allies as well home safe.

We most certainly don't need another Vietnam (in terms of withdrawl). Hell I'd even support sending more troops if it ment they could finish up whatever they had to do in order to get everyone home sooner.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Hey Bill ... she's going to win anyways ... you don't have to tire
yourself with this campaigning.

(he must be between girlfriends and bored.
)

Errrr...how about no!

RICE FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Mic

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I don't think that's a good platform for Hillary's campaign. Seems more like President Clinton's own opinion, considering that Hillary voted for the war.

Floor Speech of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
on S.J. Res. 45

And finally, on another personal note, I come to this decision from the perspective of a Senator from New York who has seen all too closely the consequences of last year's terrible attacks on our nation. In balancing the risks of action versus inaction, I think New Yorkers who have gone through the fires of hell may be more attuned to the risk of not acting. I know that I am.

So it is with conviction that I support this resolution as being in the best interests of our nation. A vote for it is not a vote to rush to war; it is a vote that puts awesome responsibility in the hands of our President and we say to him - use these powers wisely and as a last resort. And it is a vote that says clearly to Saddam Hussein - this is your last chance - disarm or be disarmed.

Yes, she cautioned against a rush to war, but she also clearly supported action if Saddam didn't allow an absolutely open inspection process, which he didn't.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Some comments below / edited to make it smaller

- In 1998, ...
Nativeokie: Clinton was tried in the Senate and found not guilty of the charges brought against him. Welcome to our justice system. Not guilty means... Not guilty.

- During Clinton's tenure,...
Nativeokie: True and your point? Osama hated America during Bush 1 due to our presense in Saudi Arabia. I would say that was the time when they really got their start.

- Some critics argue ...
Nativeokie: Yet nothing has ever been done about this? Also doesn't this seem to count against the current administration? We only attacked these countries, two in attempts to get Osama, yet the current administration did full fledge invasions of two countries and siezed control of their governments.

- In the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks, ...
Nativeokie: Yep, they said similar things about Bush prior to 9/11, it was the US policy at the time. Keep in mind, before 9/11 this whole country felt our only threat was a nuclear missile launched by another superpower.

- February 26, 1993 - World Trade Center terrorist attack. ...
Nativeokie: We tried and convicted the people behind that bombing. The key leaders though are still at large. Clinton tried to get them, oh wait was that good or bad, hard to tell what republicans think. I am sure George Bush Jr. will capture them, if he can find the time or troops.

- April 19, 1993 - A government siege of the Branch Davidian ...
Nativeokie: Can't argue with this one. That was a mess from the start. But let's never forget the people who lived in that compound are responsible as well.

- April 19, 1995 - Oklahoma City bombing - T...
Nativeokie: Has nothing to do with who was the president at the time. McVeigh was nuts and willing to kill to prove his point. Could have happened with any president in office.

- August, 1998 - Clinton orders cruise missile strikes ...
Nativeokie: Wait, I thought he didn't do anything about Osama, I am confused here. Either he did or did not, how is this a negative? I love the WAG the Dog references considering all the Terror alerts in the last election.

- May 7, 1999 - U.S. planes accidentally bomb ...
Nativeokie: Yep Clinton was clearly flying that plane and pushed the button himself.

- In addition to impeachment and the Whitewater scandal, ...
Nativeokie: Name one president with no scandals please. Especially one's that do not include arms sales to people we now classify as terrorist.

Travelgate refers to the firing ...
Nativeokie: Brownie, Karen Hughes and Harriet Meirs, enough said?

Filegate refers to alleged White House handling ...
Nativeokie: What were the charges that came from this? How long did Bill or Hillary serve?

Chinagate involved Democrats ...
Nativeokie: When do those dems get out of jail? I mean surely they were charged and convicted. We know the republicans never do anything wrong in regards to campaign money. Right Mr. Delay.

Pardongate refers to a grant of clemency ...
Nativeokie: Richard Nixon. Everyone gets a free-bee after that one.

In March, 1998 Kathleen Willey, a ...
Nativeokie: No charges yet some still seem to act as if it was fact? Try and convict, then you can use this one.

So...he can say what he wants ...
Nativeokie: There is a huge difference between Clinton and Bush. Over 2000 dead soldiers and tens of thousands wounded. That trumps diddling an intern any day of the week.

Oh how soon you all forget!
Nativeokie: Nope I never forget, just consider the facts before comparing both.

[edit on 11/16/2005 by nativeokie]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I can agree with a lot of the opinions and accusations made on this thread. But, blaming a president for wars is missing the point. They don’t just wake up one day and decide “let’s go to war!” These wars are probably originally decided upon in round table meetings of the Bilderbergs, CFR, TLC, and other such elite groups way before the president “gets his orders.”

When is the American public going to realize that the US President is just a puppet for the real powers that control the political arena. Follow the money! Ever heard of the BCI scandal? Saddam was not only skimming money from the oil for food fiasco. He was ripping off the bankers big-time.

I like the quote from one of our past generals who said something to the tune of, “The International Bankers loan money to Third World dictators, and when they can’t pay it back, the president sends the Marines to go get it!”

And then we find out that one of the Rockefellers goes over to Syria BEFORE we go into Iraq! Why? Anybody remember the time when David Rockefeller went over to Russia and then soon after, ol’ Nikita was no longer Premier?

I am not saying that presidents don’t make mistakes…sure they do. But it is sad to see them take all of the heat while the Elite’s and their quislings manipulate world events and then retire to their ivory castles sipping Dom Perignon in their massive hot tubs while people die!

These (insert favorite word of choice) have pulled it off! It sure looks like they’ve saddled us with another Vietnam! I’m sure a lot of money is being made though…so it looks like the END WILL JUSTIFY THEIR MEANS!

Meanwhile, the plebeians are left to wonder what the heck is going on here! Who is really in charge of this mess?

Well, that is my rant for the day. I have to go listen to the Savage Nation!

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Over at the Rusty Pelican, my favorite watering hole they have two bartenders. Norma want win any beauty contest but she has all her teeth.
Now Earl is big, fat, hairy and smells bad. I always order the same thing(corona) regardless who's minding the bar. Call me crazy, but I swear the beer just taste better when Norma serves it. Whether it is Clinton or Bush, there ain't two cents worth of difference in either of them. Put a picture of Bush and Clinton in the bottom of Pedro's cage and he'll poop on both of 'em. The thing is we cannot let Iraq become another Vietnam. Regardless of how we got there, we cannot pull out until the Iraqi people are assured of at least a fighting chance. In Nam we goofed big time. We have to see this through for the sake of the Iraqi people. There has to be an exit strategy but it has to be reasonable. Now we got into this mess together and we need to get out of it the same way. I'm heading down to the Rusty Pelican, Earl is bartending tonight. Sometimes life just isn't fair!

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by D_Emissary56
These wars are probably originally decided upon in round table meetings of the Bilderbergs, CFR, TLC, and other such elite groups way before the president “gets his orders.”

Agreed, but you have the groups wrong, I think. Why stretch to find a conspiracy when the evidence is there in black and white that PNAC, AEI, the Office of Speical Plans, and other neoconservative think-tanks, Plan B-style groups, and lobbying organizations had been planning the war throughout the 90s? I wouldn't call the President a puppet, but today's Republican party doesn't take it's marching orders from the usual suspects anymore. Bush Sr. was a realist, and strong enough to keep the neoconservatives in check. He would never have allowed Iraq to unfold as it has under the weaker Bush Jr., who took the advice of those promising the most rosy outcome, rather than the most experienced statesmen.

[edit on 16-11-2005 by koji_K]

[edit on 16-11-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Clinton is another one of those presidents who is loved by some, and hated by others.(FDR was the same way) I honestly believe his comments are in a way to help his wife win, which as much as i hate to admit, is likely to be the next president. Ive decided im not playing favorites with the parties, im looking for the president that produces results, and good results that the average joe bloe american can see.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The mistake that they made is that when they kicked out Saddam, they decided to dismantle the whole authority structure of Iraq. … We never sent enough troops and didn't have enough troops to control or seal the borders," Clinton said.

Maybe if he could of talked the French and Germans into helping out we could of sent more troops...Oops that's right they were too busy filling their pockets on Saddam's money train!

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Mr Medic. You might be interested in this article.
While I wish the french/Germans had been involved I appreciate their rights as a sovereign nation to refuse. As for the oil, we bought the most of all nations.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join